Tame MT15 volume

I can hear a difference, but for $100-ish, that Bugera attenuator is legit. Depends on what your application is I suppose, but if it was just for jamming, I'd get that.

It's the taper of the volume pot and these amps are flat impossible to control at lower volumes as a result. Own a 50 watt Carvin Hot Rod Mod X50 and a Mesa DC 5 50 watt head and both are MUCH easier to control at lower volume than the MT 15 is. It's just a loud amp so deal with it. Good gigging/stage amp that is easy to grab and go with but will not play nice as a lunchbox small practice rig.
Been running one since last May and love the amp but they are what they are. Only real option to get the volume down is mod the amp with a different taper master volume or run an attenuator. I'm running mine at Church and have a miced cab in a iso room off stage so volume is not an issue .

Last edited:
Bugera Powersoak? Just heard good about them, haven't tried myself coz I don't have tubes.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll try the power soak and the loop option. As long as I've got warranty I won't mess with the taper.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll try the power soak.

Keep us posted ...

I find it incredibly effective for basement jamming and even basement band practice. The MT15 is a beast and wants to roar.

Some reports of overheating when putting in 100 watt amps into it. Seems like a powered fan blowing on it might be useful when hitting it with a big amp not necessary with MT15.

Hmmm where is my MT100?

This little box in the effects loop is the ticket (at least in my Mesa Mark V:25, which is beyond loud for home use!) - JHS Little Black Amp Box Effects-loop Attenuator

I actually built my own (took about 30 minutes - a 100K audio taper pot and a couple of jacks wired in a small 1590A enclosure) but if you're not into pedal building, it's $45 well spent. Just remember, it's not a power soak/attenuator - it's really just a more usable master volume that sits between the preamp and the power amp. And since it's a passive control, it does nothing to your tone.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with this unit, it sounded great but I just couldn't tame the volume. Mind you I was considering it for a home recording/practice amp, but that's where I'm not getting this.

You said your "band" rehearsal space and 15w being still too loud. Is that with the rest of the band? Does your drummer play with brushes instead of sticks? :D

When I was considering the MT15 (as loud as it is) I thought it might be a little under powered for a full band setting without being mic'd.

I had the same issue with this unit, it sounded great but I just couldn't tame the volume. Mind you I was considering it for a home recording/practice amp, but that's where I'm not getting this.

You said your "band" rehearsal space and 15w being still too loud. Is that with the rest of the band? Does your drummer play with brushes instead of sticks? :D

When I was considering the MT15 (as loud as it is) I thought it might be a little under powered for a full band setting without being mic'd.

The 15W rating isn't meaning anything at all. The amp is a LOT louder than my 50W Engl Amp. The bands overall volume is close to "I need some ear protection"

Will assure you it's not lacking in volume and punch. With the 6l6's and big iron transformer it doesn't feel at all like a 15 watt amp. That's because it isn't in reality a 15 watt amp it in reality closer to 30. Own 2 20 to 25 watt EL 84's amps and 2 50 watt heads one with EL 34's and one with 6L6's. The MT 15 out performs both the 20 and 25 watters ( Mesa Subway Rocket/ Zinky Blue Velvet combos) and at higher volumes and holds it's own with the 50 waters ( Mesa DC 5 / Carvin X50 B Hot Rod Mod heads).

Impressive, I'm sure it can do small gigs, but how was the clean channel?

It was quite loud, but I don't remember if it was breaking up at that point or not. I'd have to dig up the videos and listen again.

Fan of the Dr. Z Air Brake here...Really works well. (used...$2-300.00-ish)
It has 4 volume-cutting options for decreasing overall volume without changing the tone...which it does, until you enter the 5th option...
"Bedroom", where it definitely knocks back pretty good volume, but the overall tone is slightly changed a bit.

Fan of the Dr. Z Air Brake here...Really works well. (used...$2-300.00-ish)
It has 4 volume-cutting options for decreasing overall volume without changing the tone...which it does, until you enter the 5th option...
"Bedroom", where it definitely knocks back pretty good volume, but the overall tone is slightly changed a bit.

The Dr. Z Brake Lite also works well with lower watt amps. If your cab is open backed, you can toss it inside (or mount it inside). Honestly, I think it sounds as good as the Air Brake, and is cheaper and way smaller. I had both for a few years, and did several different side-by-side comparisons. Both are good at what they do, but the size won out for me.

Back