Tame MT15 volume

Miltonsummerset

Hello prs people. I recently bought a Mt15 amp and love its sound. I've had several amps over the past decade but even my 50w Engl and 30w Egnater weren't as loud as the prs. BTW I'm using a 212 vintage 30s cabinet. My band's rehearsal room is quiet big but I can't use the lead channel in any setting louder than it's minimum.

Do you have tips for lowering the volume? The following I've thought of. What are your opinions?

1. Replacing the power tubes to maybe 6v6. Is it possible and does it lower the volume?

2. I've replaced the v3 tube with an 12ay7 (5751). The gain knob of the lead channel is now much more versatile, but there's no change in volume.

3. Should I replace another preamp tube?

4. What about power attenuators? They seem to be a pricey way of achieving my goal.

5. I put an eq in the amps fx loop and lowered the volume this way. It's working but of course changing the sound.

Thanks for your help guys.

Do you have a 1x12 in 16ohms? That can bring things down with certain amps. Reduce the speaker count and increase the impedance.

You're right on the good attenuators, but I have to point out the Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box. If all you ever use is the MT15, and you don't record or gig with it, then it might not be worth it. But if you have multiple amps that like to be turned up loud to sound good, especially if you like to record or practice quietly, or if you just want to have an obscene amount of fun with the options, the Ox Box is a killer toy to have. I originally was pretty sure I was ordering one just to try it, and would send it back. The more stuff I did with it, the more sure I was that it was actually a great deal at the price. It has found a home with me!

The best thing I can suggest is to go watch a few videos on it to see what it can do. Pete Thorn did a couple that were particularly good, and guitar-centric. I can't recommend any other attenuator more highly.

I would probably work more with an EQ in the loop. Leaving the eq flat probably won’t give the same exact tone as most aren’t going to be transparent. If you mess around enough, you should be able to get close enough. Keep in mind that dropping volume will change resonant frequencies that you feel, not just hear. That’s why you may have play around to get it in the ballpark. An eq pedal mod may help if you’re getting hiss with the pedal.

Bugera has a very reasonable price attenuator its a no brainer. Keeps my MT 15 from making me deaf.

Had to look its on amazon bugera power soak ps1. Mine was 99 but looks like its selling a bunch now like 119. Get one before amazon is out ha ha its from china.

Last edited:
If you are super precise you can dial in a number of good lower volume tones ranging from 0.436 to 0.511 on the volume knob. (Didn’t actually check to see if that range is accurate to my mt-15. ymmv :D)

I don't know how fair it is for me to comment as I don't have a MT15, but it makes me feel like something wrong. I'd contact PTC and get their opinion.
No, it’s all good. The MT-15 goes from bedroom to arena in a red one.

In your situation I’d get a quality attenuator like the OX.

Never mind that it costs almost twice as much as the amp! :eek:

It’s a killer tool. I don’t have one, though, as I haven’t needed it.

Yikes the bugera ps1 attenuator works just fine no need to buy anything else in my opinion. Lots of good reviews.

It may struggle and get really hot with large wattage cabinet going loads 50 / 100 maybe not a good idea. For the mt15 its a great match take it from someone using it everyday.

Perhaps try a 12at7 in the PI spot - the MT15 uses a 12ax7 stock, that may help.

Is your problem that you literally can't get the amp quiet enough, period, or that the knob is so sensitive that you can't get it adjusted to the proper volume when turned down low?

When I play live, I often use a Boss LS2 in the loop of my amps, using the level knobs to set one line for rhythm volume and one for slightly louder leads. But, you can also use it to pull the overall level down.

This review is a pretty good comparison of a 500 plus dollar attentuator against the 100 dollar range bugera ( not exactly sure who this is doing the review but he seems legit ).

This review is a pretty good comparison of a 500 plus dollar attentuator against the 100 dollar range bugera ( not exactly sure who this is doing the review but he seems legit ).

He’s a well known and generally pretty respected YouTuber. I subscribe to his Patreon.

Back