Switching options on PRS SE Custom 22

Yuanjia

Hi, I have a 2018 PRS SE Custom 22, and was wondering which coils are active in the 85/15 S pickups when using the push/pull.
I've tapped a screwdriver on the pole pieces and it seems both the screw and slug coils are still active in each pickup when split?

What's going on?

It depends if there is a coil split or a coil tap. With a coil tap, both coils are still operating, but one will be reduced.

They split to screw coil. The ol' screwdriver test is okay, but the active coil may still pick up the vibration when you knock on the grounded coil.

Or, take the backplate off and see if there are any resistors connected to the push/pull switch lugs. Don't know if they've started doing this on the SE models or not, but on S2 and Core for several years they've used resistors to allow a little signal from the cancelled coil to bleed through, which helps round out the single coil sound.

Thanks for the reply Garett. I had a look inside and there's a big yellow capacitor on the push/pull but mysteriously a tiny orange ball marked 181that could be a resistor. It is however connected to the volume pot.

I'll provide pics.

Thanks for the reply Garett. I had a look inside and there's a big yellow capacitor on the push/pull but mysteriously a tiny orange ball marked 181that could be a resistor. It is however connected to the volume pot.

I'll provide pics.

The orange capacitor is your treble bleed. Neither are a coil tap resistor.

Wow, that's cool. I noticed my PRS sounds a lot nicer when turned down than does my Schecter.
Thanks for all the info guys. It would appear at lower volumes that indeed it is just the screw coils that are active.

Back