Switch Preferences

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by soundbee, Jun 5, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of PRS pickup selector?

1. 5-way (Strat like)

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. 3-way Toggle (ala Les Paul)

24 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. 5-way Rotary (original flavor PRS)

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. soundbee

soundbee New Member

Hi Folks

I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?

2. lookslikemeband

3 way toggle and push/pull...

The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....

I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....

3. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

Siggy-switching gets my vote. But it isn't on the poll.

Seems to my that Jeff (MartySnarf) got the Siggy-Switching mod on his CU24.

4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Too Funky

Rotary 4 Life.

5. cjmwrx

cjmwrx Wheels

+1. A lot less thinking, and hand motion involved. With the switch, you can hit it mid stroke and keep moving. Frequently during solos I will switch between the neck and bridge. Rarely, if ever, do I split coils mid song.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I prefer the 5 way switch. It's easy, you always know where you are, and it works. I hate the push pulls, very hard to pull up when your hands are a little slippery.

7. CantankerousCarl

CantankerousCarl Occasionally Onery Member

I must admit I like the switching on my Mira the best - the three-way blade is solid, and having the mini-switch for the coil toggle is alot more convenient than a push-pull

8. AaeCee

AaeCee New Member

5 way rotary (well, at least on a Cu24). The best sounds. I love the funky, quirky, sometimes frustrating bastid!

9. Goldtop

Goldtop A Top (and Heart) of Gold

I voted for my second choice, which is the 'Les Paul' style. But my favorite is the DGT. I really like having a volume control for each pickup. Beyond that, coil splitters and phase switches are great - but not mandatory - bonuses to me.

Goldtop

#9 Goldtop, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  10. RedGuitars

RedGuitars Thread killer

McCarty three-way with push/pull coil tap, and 408 switching are my favorite on a PRS.

11. markie

markie Zombie 27 - DFZ

3 way is my preference..................... but, I really don't care!

12. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

For live use, I prefer the 3-way push-pull, but my favorite is the original 5-way.

Wait, we ARE talking about switches here, right?

13. ArtG

ArtG New Member

3-way toggle & push-pull works for me.

14. solacematt

solacematt New Member

I think the people who complain the most about the 5-way rotary being difficult who prefer the blade switch is because of the fact they played strats first and are used to it. I can't stand strats because they are so thin sounding and was always a 3-way toggle person thanks to the Gibson's I played over the years. When I got a CU24 I found the rotary refreshing and very easy to use. I'm also the singer and sole guitarist in my band so I can't see how people who are noodlers or guys who just play guitar and don't have to sing can talk about how it's so difficult really. The 5-way rotary is such a cool and innovative tool from PRS

15. henryr

henryr New Member

The push/pull knob on my SE custom 24 was almost impossible for me to pull up so I did the following mod.
    I put the knob in a small lathe chuck and cut a channel, into and around the outer diameter, centered about 1/8”, below the top of the knob. The channel is about 3/32“ wide X 3/64“ deep. I put a 3/32“ thick X 13/16” inner diameter soft rubber O ring, which is a snug fit, in the channel. This leaves a little more than half, of the O ring’s thickness, sticking out of the knob and now it is is very easy to pull up.

16. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I don't think that's really true. I prefer the 5-way and was a Gibson player before getting my first PRS (back in 1991 and it had a rotary by the way). I don't like playing Strats at all, but the switch idea on a Strat is a good one.

I'm a guy who mostly plays in the studio, and I do it professionally. Sure it's easy for me to do another take with the switch in a different position. However, there are times when I have the flow going, and I've got a really great take happening, and I want to make that switch happen at a particular point in the track.

And if I'm on a rotary, and if I have no idea where the hell I am, it takes longer, and I lose the flow. And the take is useless. That's frustrating! The same thing happens with the damned pull-up knob, and sometimes you have to use the toggle and the knob for one pickup switching change. Also frustrating!

So for a player like me, who was not a Fender player at all, and who does not sing, the rotary and the toggle-plus-pull-up-knob are choices that get in the way of the flow.

Nonetheless, for the right instrument, neither would be a deal-breaker, and my current CU24 30th is the version with the toggle and the damn pull-up knob that my fingers slip off of, and I still love it more than life itself.

Preferences are one thing, love is another. And there's no 'splainin' love!! ;)

17. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Toggle w pp

18. CatStrangler

CatStrangler PRS Enthusiast

mine too.

19. jfb

jfb Plank Owner

3 way toggle and push pull on a PRS.

20. django49

django49 New Member

Push/push rather than push/pull can make it easier to change on the fly.