Switch Preferences

What's your favorite type of PRS pickup selector?

• 5-way (Strat like)

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • 3-way Toggle (ala Les Paul)

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • 5-way Rotary (original flavor PRS)

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters

soundbee

Hi Folks

I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?

3 way toggle and push/pull...

The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....

I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....

Siggy-switching gets my vote. But it isn't on the poll.

Seems to my that Jeff (MartySnarf) got the Siggy-Switching mod on his CU24.

3 way toggle and push/pull...

The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....

I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....

+1. A lot less thinking, and hand motion involved. With the switch, you can hit it mid stroke and keep moving. Frequently during solos I will switch between the neck and bridge. Rarely, if ever, do I split coils mid song.

I prefer the 5 way switch. It's easy, you always know where you are, and it works. I hate the push pulls, very hard to pull up when your hands are a little slippery.

I must admit I like the switching on my Mira the best - the three-way blade is solid, and having the mini-switch for the coil toggle is alot more convenient than a push-pull

5 way rotary (well, at least on a Cu24). The best sounds. I love the funky, quirky, sometimes frustrating bastid!

I voted for my second choice, which is the 'Les Paul' style. But my favorite is the DGT. I really like having a volume control for each pickup. Beyond that, coil splitters and phase switches are great - but not mandatory - bonuses to me.

Goldtop

Last edited:
For live use, I prefer the 3-way push-pull, but my favorite is the original 5-way.

Wait, we ARE talking about switches here, right?

Hi Folks

I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?

I think the people who complain the most about the 5-way rotary being difficult who prefer the blade switch is because of the fact they played strats first and are used to it. I can't stand strats because they are so thin sounding and was always a 3-way toggle person thanks to the Gibson's I played over the years. When I got a CU24 I found the rotary refreshing and very easy to use. I'm also the singer and sole guitarist in my band so I can't see how people who are noodlers or guys who just play guitar and don't have to sing can talk about how it's so difficult really. The 5-way rotary is such a cool and innovative tool from PRS

The push/pull knob on my SE custom 24 was almost impossible for me to pull up so I did the following mod.
I put the knob in a small lathe chuck and cut a channel, into and around the outer diameter, centered about 1/8”, below the top of the knob. The channel is about 3/32“ wide X 3/64“ deep. I put a 3/32“ thick X 13/16” inner diameter soft rubber O ring, which is a snug fit, in the channel. This leaves a little more than half, of the O ring’s thickness, sticking out of the knob and now it is is very easy to pull up.

I think the people who complain the most about the 5-way rotary being difficult who prefer the blade switch is because of the fact they played strats first and are used to it. I can't stand strats because they are so thin sounding and was always a 3-way toggle person thanks to the Gibson's I played over the years. When I got a CU24 I found the rotary refreshing and very easy to use. I'm also the singer and sole guitarist in my band so I can't see how people who are noodlers or guys who just play guitar and don't have to sing can talk about how it's so difficult really. The 5-way rotary is such a cool and innovative tool from PRS

I don't think that's really true. I prefer the 5-way and was a Gibson player before getting my first PRS (back in 1991 and it had a rotary by the way). I don't like playing Strats at all, but the switch idea on a Strat is a good one.

I'm a guy who mostly plays in the studio, and I do it professionally. Sure it's easy for me to do another take with the switch in a different position. However, there are times when I have the flow going, and I've got a really great take happening, and I want to make that switch happen at a particular point in the track.

And if I'm on a rotary, and if I have no idea where the hell I am, it takes longer, and I lose the flow. And the take is useless. That's frustrating! The same thing happens with the damned pull-up knob, and sometimes you have to use the toggle and the knob for one pickup switching change. Also frustrating!

So for a player like me, who was not a Fender player at all, and who does not sing, the rotary and the toggle-plus-pull-up-knob are choices that get in the way of the flow.

Nonetheless, for the right instrument, neither would be a deal-breaker, and my current CU24 30th is the version with the toggle and the damn pull-up knob that my fingers slip off of, and I still love it more than life itself.

Preferences are one thing, love is another. And there's no 'splainin' love!! ;)

Back