Sweet switch and brazzy board content

hurtwoodec

20210719-132639.jpg

So this was the least expensive way into the "vintage" PRS world.

1990 custom
Hfs Vb
Small heel
Braz rosewood.

1990 was the last year of the 80s spec customs afaik.

Thanks, ive owned a couple of custom 24s over the years, all modern spec from 5way blade to wide thin and pattern necks to 59/09 pickups etc.

I always had to force myself to like them for some reason and always gravitated back to my Dgt or McCarty. I ended up thinking that the custom just wasnt my cup of tea.

Anyway this "old school" custom has turned me around, its a great guitar and while i agree that the best Prs ever made is the one they are making tomorrow, there is something to be said of the early pre cnc machine ones i guess.

Even the rotary switch is absolutely useable for me and i really am liking the variety of split sounds.

Nice find! That the new kid in town has reached vintage status and collectability makes me feel old. :) I still remember saying “What? Ted Nugent without a Byrdland? What is that guitar?” PRS had been making guitars a few years already by that point, and my discovery was the very year this guitar was created!

And this guitar is now a year older than I was at that point. Crazy,

Thanks all. I dont really like to use terms like "ive really bonded with....: etc but OK, i have really bonded with this one.

My regular gig these days (im 49 so clubs bars and pubs was a while ago! Ha ha) is a church one in front of a couple of hundred each week, stage, lights, multimedia. We play direct in with in ears etc.

This custom works really well for my church patches. Its not as les pauly as my McCarty or Dgt and obviouly is less jangley than my Starla, but still sounds great with my DC30 patches.

Thanks all. I dont really like to use terms like "ive really bonded with....: etc but OK, i have really bonded with this one.

My regular gig these days (im 49 so clubs bars and pubs was a while ago! Ha ha) is a church one in front of a couple of hundred each week, stage, lights, multimedia. We play direct in with in ears etc.

This custom works really well for my church patches. Its not as les pauly as my McCarty or Dgt and obviouly is less jangley than my Starla, but still sounds great with my DC30 patches.

Love this post. My main 'gig' is in church as well, same setting. However: that is not why I like the post: my guitar selection is essentially the same, starla, McCarty and a vintage 24 fretter (however not a CU, but a CE). Without a doubt with the same reasons for the selection and to top it off: I use a Kemper with dc30 profiles :D.

Love this post. My main 'gig' is in church as well, same setting. However: that is not why I like the post: my guitar selection is essentially the same, starla, McCarty and a vintage 24 fretter (however not a CU, but a CE). Without a doubt with the same reasons for the selection and to top it off: I use a Kemper with dc30 profiles :D.

What is that saying about great minds?........

Super sweet guitar there. I'm on the hunt for a 1990 or earlier Custom for the right price, I'd really love to get one from 1985, but those are all just a shade outside of my budget.

Super sweet guitar there. I'm on the hunt for a 1990 or earlier Custom for the right price, I'd really love to get one from 1985, but those are all just a shade outside of my budget.

I hear ya! Anything from 85 to 89 would have been awesome but the hefty jump in price for those is something i just couldnt swallow.

So it was a 90 for me. The only difference afaik are the pickups ie Hfs and Vb instead of T and B.

Its a wonderful guitar. I have no regrets.

Happy guitar hunting! Make sure you post yours when you get one.

Back