Sweet Little EG-3 (Incoming)

It showed-up safely in Germany today.

It looks fantastic but needs a fret-polish and set-up for my tastes. I'll get it squared-away tonight (I hope) and try to get some outside photos tomorrow evening.

This guitar has a few interesting things going on. The first number in the serial number indicated that it is a '93 but the later numbers are late in the '94 range. If it were a true '93, it would have a Mann-made trem. This one has an Excel-made 2-piece trem, as many '94's do. That leads me to believe that it was started in '93 and finished in '94. We see this split serial number quite often in the early guitars - where serial numbers are written by hand. It makes me wonder how/when the neck-plates were engraved for the EG's.

I have dropped an email to Orkie. I'll let you know what he says.

Last edited:
I think I might need to find one of those Series II EGs to go with my '90 Series I, I am really intrigued by those Fralin dominoes. Going to have to wait a little while, though. My wife says I've had enough gas for this year.

She'll be good as new in no time.

8C8E1539-B767-4F76-AD74-CA320C5BD31C_zpsnehaajxr.jpg

I had the same thoughts... although th EGs should be alder, the grain and color of the wood in the pick up cavity look more like mahogany to me...

The EG-3 has an alder body, although some had maple tops as well. My pearl white one is exactly like the OP's, and as far as I can recall, the opaque ones would have all been entirely made of alder.

Precisely why I inquired.

I had the same thoughts... although th EGs should be alder, the grain and color of the wood in the pick up cavity look more like mahogany to me...

It kinda does, right?

It kinda does, right?

Actually if I had to guess, I would be 100% certain that this is mahogany. I've never seen alder with such grain and color before... but then there where some prototype 305 guitars that had exceptional alder grain to them...

A few glamour shots, as promised.

I've only played it plugged-in for a few minutes. Still dialing-in the set-up so no tone report to offer just yet. It reminds me a lot of my NF3.

It's pretty hard to get the blue in the pearl to show up. It is doing a wonderful job of making the aged white base-coat look more ivory than yellow.

1993_PRS_EG3_Front_Body_zpslmtkxlvp.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Top_zpsnibvfccu.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Gold_Fralin_Dominos_zpshbtqb8hy.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Back_Body_zps9nx7lq6g.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Serial_Number_zpsmw5vnmud.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Headstock_zpsoikzrsyi.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Back_Headstock_zps7vfywwtt.jpg

1993_PRS_EG3_Fretboard_zpsvihqi2nd.jpg

You mentioned 'secrets' earlier, but here's another 'secret' you've possibly not come across yet. (I haven't read that you've known about this, so... Hope this helps...) The tone control is also a push/pull, activating what I've heard being called a "multi-filter". Whatever, it gives you a cool, notched, midrange tone the more you "roll down" the tone control. (It's deceiving since you'll hear no obvious change until you do roll it off).
Actually, I had work done on my EG-3 back around 2000, and the tech rewired this pot backwards—a happy accident for me since I actually find the "multi-filter" tones (now in the 'down' position) somewhat more interesting than the standard tone control (now in the 'up' position).
Hope this helps in some way, and that you've been enjoying the new guitar!

You mentioned 'secrets' earlier, but here's another 'secret' you've possibly not come across yet. (I haven't read that you've known about this, so... Hope this helps...) The tone control is also a push/pull, activating what I've heard being called a "multi-filter".

It's a cool feature that I wasn't aware of until I read the document noted below. I was spending some time listening to the differences between the two settings earlier today.

1C1B6900-1277-45FC-A793-1165A7152C71_zpsqicqxswv.jpg

Back