Sweden freaking rules!!!

Albrecht Smuten

Nine of Hearts
Yes. Yes it does. My most favourite bands are all from Sweden: Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Mind's eye, Karmakanic, Meshuggah, Evergrey, Katatonia, Roxette (I confess, I dig Roxette).
I know there are few Swedes on the forum, so I'd like to ask you...

...could you please give us back the Codex gigas? I'm pretty sure it's unholy powers are the reason why you're so awesome. We (and by "we" I mean "I") want to be awesome too! :evil:

620x0-1614-knihy4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Gigas

:D

Sweden!

I'm adding In Flames, Hypocrisy, Entombed, Bathory, At The Gates, Dismember, Nasum, Amon Amarth, Grave, Arch Enemy, The Crown, Soilwork, Bloodbath...I believe you mentioned the rest of my favorites.

Also home to a wicked data center named Pionen owned by the ISP Bahnhof.

Nothing wrong with a bit of roxette! :)

Sweden does music very well. I think it is or was the third largest exporter (After the US and UK I presume) of music.

Lot of cool companies

Some stunnigly beautiful women. (Had to state the obvious).

Never been but that's one country I would love to visit.

These Czechs rocked the world in their own way:

Leoš Janáček, Antonín Dvořák, Jan Kubelík, many others in the world of orchestral music.

Props to great Czech composers, Albrecht!

Last edited:
Got all y'all beat. My wife is Swedish. Tall, blonde, beautiful like so many there. We were even married there and spend a good part of every summer there at her family's summer home. Stockholm is absolutely my favorite city in the world, during the summer at least.

And yes, their music like so many other things Swedish tends to be quite progressive.

A friend of mine is in a Polish band and they tour throughout Europe quite frequently. He sent me these pics from Czech Republic. Amazingly beautiful!

DSC_2254_zps86fff55f.jpg

czech75_zps7363fb8c.jpg

DSC_1807_zpsd23e1aa5.jpg

We have...cough...socialized healthcare and the nordic light in the summer...magic!..If you want to hear sweden through music you have to buy and i mean have to buy Jan Johansson-Jazz in swedish.He was the father of Jens and Anders Johansson that played in another famous swedish band,Yngwie Malmsteen´s Rising Force or Yngve Malmsten as we say :).And please stop believe we all live on social benefits in a social democratic utopia.We are just like the rest of the global world,confused over that something so good and wonderful can have so many people unemployed ;).Personally i believe in localism and yes,Stockholm is beautiful :).I should mention ABBA is from Stockholm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never been but that's one country I would love to visit.

Sometimes I contemplate moving there, but there would be no point in bringing a mediocre musician to Sweden, right? :D

These Czechs rocked the world in their own way:

Leoš Janáček, Antonín Dvořák, Jan Kubelík, many others in the world of orchestral music.

Props to great Czech composers, Albrecht!

You're right, Les... also Jan Hammer Jr. rocks my socks off.

A friend of mine is in a Polish band and they tour throughout Europe quite frequently. He sent me these pics from Czech Republic. Amazingly beautiful!

Ha, those are the places we keep clean for tourists, so they buy overpriced meals and drinks :D
Nah, really the architecture is stunning and I never regret paying nearly half of my salary to pay the rent in an apartment just over the corner to historic centre of Prague. When I walk to my work and the weather is nice, the view alone makes me absolutely happy.

What's the name of the band? I'm a huge fan to a polish band called "Riverside"...

We have...cough...socialized healthcare and the nordic light in the summer...magic!..If you want to hear sweden through music you have to buy and i mean have to buy Jan Johansson-Jazz in swedish.He was the father of Jens and Anders Johansson that played in another famous swedish band,Yngwie Malmsteen´s Rising Force or Yngve Malmsten as we say :).And please stop believe we all live on social benefits in a social democratic utopia.We are just like the rest of the global world,confused over that something so good and wonderful can have so many people unemployed ;).Personally i believe in localism and yes,Stockholm is beautiful :).I should mention ABBA is from Stockholm.

Nice and mellow! If only I were more into jazz ;)
I wanted to point out a relationship between social democratic utopia and the level of unemployment, but that would be politics, right? Or economics? Is it safe to discuss economics here? :)
(and yes, I wanted to mention ABBA too, but I listened to them when I was eleven and that's already a long time ago ;) )

Yes,not allowed to discuss politics or economics.That we leave to the honest and truthful leaders.And hey,economics so complex only a few in the world understands it.I hope PRS never come up with a guitar so complex only a few will be able to play it.Anyway,heres something less mellow for you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Sweden. In 2009 I fought in a tournament in Skovde, and got to spend some days in Stockholm and Gothenburg. Lots of friendly people and beautiful blonde/blue-eyed women. I especially love Stockholm's bike rental system. The Archipelago was pretty sweet as well. And Swedish cheesecake is off the chain.

Rented one of these, drank a few pints of Carlsberg (couldn't find a Swedish beer I liked), and did some awesome sightseeing.
DSC00426_zpsd7353bc4.jpg

Some random pics of Stockholm:
DSC00383_zpsfc547c6b.jpg

DSC00450_zpsdfdef4c4.jpg

DSC00454_zps9da5d9d6.jpg

DSC00380_zps84010683.jpg

Stockholm City Hall
DSC00446_zps64f4df49.jpg

And one unique pic from Skovde. I did not notice the "art" until I got home.
IMG_0213huh_zpsade77238.jpg

I just finished watching the Girl with the Dragon tattoo trilogy (original Swedish version). Awesome set. Loved it and loved the backdrop. I also had a Swedish trainer in Thailand. Guy was a powerlifter and I think benched VWs for fun. Best part was I never got injured working out with him so he was doing something right.

Now I have to confess I don't like cold weather so I'm doubtful I'll ever want to spend much time there. I mean, when it drops below 50 degrees here in AZ I'm wearing a coat. :beer:

I was in Stockholm last Summer, while on a cruise. What a beautiful city!

Jamie

Last edited:
I think the fact that the swedish government subsidize their artists helps a little too. I really enjoyed the swedish bands "Refused", "International Noise Conspiracy", and "Doughnuts", it's amazing what can happen to musicians when you give them a little room to work on their art.

Back