Swapping The bridge pickup in the PRS 594, 3 wire vs stock 2 wire

Ironwolf

I'm a Dog! I do Dog Things!
I am ready to swap the 58/15 LT Two wire with a 59/09 33 wire. I'd like to try and get it right the first time.
This guitar has the 4 knob setup, 2 volumes, 2 tone pots that split each pickup to single coil, must maintain that.

Very simple set up in there, The 58/15 only has a main conductor soldered to the volume pot, and the white wire soldered to the split tone pot. So the 59/09 has one extra wire, I'm sure someone must have done this swap. I'm suspecting I just tape the red wire back, And do the same thing: black wire and ground on the volume pot, And the white wire to the split pot. Anybody gone through this learning process.
I have been told the red wire on the 59/09 is the North finish tied with the South finish.

uma6qa1.jpg

Only 2 wires

k73DdFT.jpg

Which wires go to the volume pot and which wires to the split pot? Can it be done?

Cheers thanks for any help.

I'm not positive, but I found an old TGP thread that says red is coil split. Either black or white will go to the volume then, depending on which way ends up being in phase. Bare and the odd one out go to ground.

The LT pups are three conductor. Black is hot, white is split, bare is ground/shield.

Thanks Garrett, I continue to scour the diagrams and forum.
So I think this is correct and will work.
59/09 bridge wires
1. black wire (hot) to the volume lug
2. braided shield to the volume pot back (ground)
3. white wire to the volume pot back (ground)
4. red wire to the tone knob push pull pot. (where current 58/15 white wire resides)

thanks

Success:D using the formula above, red wire on the split coil pot.

Completely maintained controls & Functionality with the 59/09 in the bridge of the 594 singlecut.

The fantastic single coil of the 58/15 LT bridge Has been compromised, the single coil sound of the 59/09 is okay but a noticeable amount of compression therefore the some of the subtle string dynamics Are missing. As expected. And there seems to be very little compromise in the middle position both pickups are working happily with each other. I'll give this configuration a few months see how I feel.

Even though I enjoyed that strat sound I really don't play much music in that range, I traded that for much better power and harmonics Under gain with richer crunchy tones and richer heavy rock tones. Every pickup is a compromise one pickup does not do it all. That's why we all have 15 guitars.

I may consider a regular wind 58/15 if I happen to come across one. I left the neck LT pickup in which gives me access to that still fantastic single coil sound. The neck pickup will never leave that guitar it's perfect.

1. black wire (hot) to the volume lug
2. braided shield to the volume pot back (ground)
3. white wire to the volume pot back (ground)
4. red wire to the tone knob push pull pot. (where current 58/15 white wire resides)

I recently installed 59/09 pickups in my 2008 Mira and did a slightly different wiring:

1. white wire (hot) to the volume lug
2. same
3. black wire to the volume pot back (ground)
4. same

I recently installed 59/09 pickups in my 2008 Mira and did a slightly different wiring:

1. white wire (hot) to the volume lug
2. same
3. black wire to the volume pot back (ground)
4. same

Is that the neck pickup or the bridge pickup? Also, Is that the push pull pot, coil split As well?
I think for a neck pickup that's recommended. I was reading all of the PRS wiring diagrams.
For the bridge pickup the black wires considered the hot, That goes on the lug,
and for the neck pickups The white wire is considered the hot wire that goes on the volume lug.

I think it would work correct and you would probably just have the North coil be the active coil in the split.
My active coil For the bridge pickup is the screw coil closest to the bridge.
Tap and see which coil is active during the split.
cheers

I use this wiring (white = hot, black = ground, red = coil split) for either neck and bridge pickup, and not only for the 59/09s set, but also for a set of 85/15s I installed in my McCarty, and I am really not disappointed how they sound.

I've read that some old PRS pickups should be wired in the way you mentioned (different coloured hot wire on neck and bridge pickup), but I'm rather sure this is not correct when using modern PRS pickups.

Maybe a PRS pickup guru can clarify this?

Success:D using the formula above, red wire on the split coil pot.

Completely maintained controls & Functionality with the 59/09 in the bridge of the 594 singlecut.

The fantastic single coil of the 58/15 LT bridge Has been compromised, the single coil sound of the 59/09 is okay but a noticeable amount of compression therefore the some of the subtle string dynamics Are missing. As expected. And there seems to be very little compromise in the middle position both pickups are working happily with each other. I'll give this configuration a few months see how I feel.

Even though I enjoyed that strat sound I really don't play much music in that range, I traded that for much better power and harmonics Under gain with richer crunchy tones and richer heavy rock tones. Every pickup is a compromise one pickup does not do it all. That's why we all have 15 guitars.

I may consider a regular wind 58/15 if I happen to come across one. I left the neck LT pickup in which gives me access to that still fantastic single coil sound. The neck pickup will never leave that guitar it's perfect.

Glad it worked out with no problems.

While I totally love the LT pups, I do think a regular 58/15 (or even a 57/08, like in the Righteous Guitars Wood Library run) in the bridge would give that extra bit of push while retaining the vintage character.

The regular 58/15 is like a dream mix with the hair it has and how well it cleans up. The split coil in a singlecut is amazing, i was using it last night with the band to cover some Bobby Caldwell and it sounded immense.

While I totally love the LT pups, I do think a regular 58/15 (or even a 57/08, like in the Righteous Guitars Wood Library run) in the bridge would give that extra bit of push while retaining the vintage character.

I haven't tried a 594 with a 58/15lt in the bridge, except for a few minutes in the store. The 57/08 in the bridge of my Righteous WL594 plays very nicely with the 58/15lt neck, and does a great pseudo-tele thing in the split mode, with more of a "Dickey Betts clean rhythm to the nth power" than a fendery vibe, with both pickups on and split. I do appreciate the extra bite and power the 57/08 gives with higher gain.

I played several hours today with the 59/09 and it is a tiny bit too powerful in the low gain settings (compressed), but so so so excellent with mid gain and higher gain. fun:D
I definitely miss the middle setting tones I was getting with the low turn 58/15 LT in both positions, the tele like quack and honk and single coil tone string dynamics, now just a bit too compressed. still there but reduced.

I re-read through the pickups thread " 85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

I'm not sure the group has settled that the 85/15 and the 58/15 are indeed the same pickup but with the cover removed. seems to be an open discussion still.

Never the less I went ahead and bought the 85/15 set of used pickups, and will try that in the bridge as well to see if I can regain the lower output dynamics and keep the high gain harmonics of the 59/09.
I measured the resistance of my 59/09 before I dropped it in, at 9.20 k ohms.

If I remember the 85/15 is coming in at ~ 8.5 k ohms, does anyone have that or remember that output.
Also people do comment on how excellent the 85/15 spilts. So close to getting it perfect.

The regular 58/15 is like a dream mix with the hair it has and how well it cleans up. The split coil in a singlecut is amazing, i was using it last night with the band to cover some Bobby Caldwell and it sounded immense.

I played several hours today with the 59/09 and it is a tiny bit too powerful in the low gain settings (compressed), but so so so excellent with mid gain and higher gain. fun:D
I definitely miss the middle setting tones I was getting with the low turn 58/15 LT in both positions, the tele like quack and honk and single coil tone string dynamics, now just a bit too compressed. still there but reduced.

I re-read through the pickups thread " 85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

I'm not sure the group has settled that the 85/15 and the 58/15 are indeed the same pickup but with the cover removed. seems to be an open discussion still.

Never the less I went ahead and bought the 85/15 set of used pickups, and will try that in the bridge as well to see if I can regain the lower output dynamics and keep the high gain harmonics of the 59/09.
I measured the resistance of my 59/09 before I dropped it in, at 9.20 k ohms.

If I remember the 85/15 is coming in at ~ 8.5 k ohms, does anyone have that or remember that output.
Also people do comment on how excellent the 85/15 spilts. So close to getting it perfect.

Yeah, you guys are on to something here! I have tried a ton of pickups in my many 594's. My favorite setup so far is something in a nice PAF in the 8.5K range in the neck, with something sub 8K in the neck.

I had regular 5815's in one of my Doublecuts, and really dug them. Those are supposed to be about 8.5K give or take in the bridge, and I think 7.6-7.8K in the neck. I just got them installed in my SC this week, pick it up tomorrow!

I also felt the pickups that were in the 9K+ range (Lollar High Winds and ThroBak MC-102's) were a little hot for cleans and crunchy vintage tones, similar to Ironwolf's statement above, they weren't as open as the LT's or the 8.5K PAF's. But they were AWESOME for the medium to high gain tones.

I will report on the 5815's in the SC.

My SC PS in the oven is spec'ed with a 5815 LT in the neck, 5815 in the bridge.

The stock 5815 LT's have been really great in some of my 594's, but not as great in others. They are killer in the new McCarty Glow PS, the SH, and the Trem PS...

That's what I thought, that might be the perfect pick up match, Just that extra push when needed but goes back to the pure vintage in the simple way.

Of course there's no 58/15's for sale or available, that's why I snapped up the one available set of 85/15's
cheers

Yeah, you guys are on to something here! I have tried a ton of pickups in my many 594's. My favorite setup so far is something in a nice PAF in the 8.5K range in the neck, with something sub 8K in the neck.

I had regular 5815's in one of my Doublecuts, and really dug them. Those are supposed to be about 8.5K give or take in the bridge, and I think 7.6-7.8K in the neck. I just got them installed in my SC this week, pick it up tomorrow!

I also felt the pickups that were in the 9K+ range (Lollar High Winds and ThroBak MC-102's) were a little hot for cleans and crunchy vintage tones, similar to Ironwolf's statement above, they weren't as open as the LT's or the 8.5K PAF's. But they were AWESOME for the medium to high gain tones.

I will report on the 5815's in the SC.

My SC PS in the oven is spec'ed with a 5815 LT in the neck, 5815 in the bridge.

The stock 5815 LT's have been really great in some of my 594's, but not as great in others. They are killer in the new McCarty Glow PS, the SH, and the Trem PS...

Hey Pete, You are going to swap the . pickups Of the collectors item Prototype. The first one ever made yikes:eek: .
I assume that you will keep the pickups stored carefully so that it can be returned to its original configuration.
Isn't that guitar going to be like a 59 Les Paul in a few years worth a quarter million dollars.
But I guess Jimmy page didn't fear modding, He took sandpaper and a knife to the neck. Replaced all the tone pots all the pickups
But I'm sure it's going to be even more fun to play. We are looking forward to your report.:cool:

Back