Swapping Screws in Squabbins?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
Say THAT five times fast!

So I've got a core guitar with "hybrid hardware," which means gold screws in the squabbin pickups; and I'd like to replace the pickups with another model from the PRS store that do not have gold screws (because after all, they're regular replacement models). But of course, I'd like to keep that original "hybrid hardware" look.

I'm thinking that I can simply (and carefully!) back the gold screws out--and also back the screws out of the new replacement pickups--and then re-install the gold screws into the new replacement pickups. This can totally be done, right???

Hmm... no bites, eh? No cunning linguists out there who’d like to share their favorite tongue-twister?

If it’s all the same, I might try swapping these screws and seeing what happens. I did it a while back in some soapbars; I would assume humbuckers would work the same way, but just wanted to test the waters to see if anybody’s done it before with the squabbin pickups.

If you want some gold screws hit me up. I bought a bag of 100 because it was cheaper than buying 12
Thanks--will maybe try swapping what I've got first (I've got some regular 59/09's on their way to me; will swap everything when they arrive) but might give you a shout if I get into the job and decide to leave the current gold as-is.

Just take it nice and slow. It’s super easy to do. Hit me up with any questions.

I will!

I've never done this on PRS pickups...I'd love to see and hear how it all works out!

...and I will (let you know)!

As I mentioned, I did this successfully with other-branded soapbars, but it sounds like I can do the same (slowly & carefully) with the squabbins, too. My new/incoming ones arrive later this week; will provide an update here once I've gotten around to making the switch.

Back