Swamp Ash

aduayer

Zomb!e One, DFZ
am I wrong or there's a lot of swamp ash Private Stocks showing up recently ? I just wish PRS had more swamp ash guitars in the core line...
one of my favorite guitars of all time was a Suhr with Swamp Ash body, maple top and maple neck and fingerboard.

Nope in the last year or so there have been a lot more (or at least more than we're seeing?) with swamp ash bodies. Honestly I love it, swamp ash is killer for body wood so I always like seeing it pop up more often! Hopefully we'll see more production models with it, I had to move my Swamp Ash Studio to cover the last part of my CU24 AP, but if I didn't have to sell it I would have gladly kept it as a PRS with a swamp ash body + maple neck sounds glorious! :D

I spec Swamp Ash on quite a few builds... it is a GREAT tonewood and takes finish very well, producing similar color to Finished maple.

White wash Swamp Ash might just be my fave back!!

I have no personal experience with swamp ash. Can someone tell me about the tone compared to mahogany backs? I have noticed many with flame maple necks a la the EXP2013's and wondered if this leads to a brighter sound than I would care for.

I have no personal experience with swamp ash. Can someone tell me about the tone compared to mahogany backs? I have noticed many with flame maple necks a la the EXP2013's and wondered if this leads to a brighter sound than I would care for.
I always feel strange when it comes to talk about the woods and tone, because it always varies and most of the time, I need another guitar to A/B to be sure what I am really feeling.
In my opinion, the all swamp ash body/maple neck & fingerboard compared to all mahogany body & neck/Rw fingerboard combo, has more attack and is more balanced. The Hog combo sounds darker and mellow. the Swamp ash combo has more highs and lows and has a faster attack. People associate it to country music, but I think it kicks ass distorted too. And they kind of complement each other, I mean, the hog/rosewood combo with the Swamp Ash/maple one.
I am about to buy a SAS for along time, but I am waiting until PRS releases something less Fender and more PRS.
I know it won't happen but a SCHB or JA15 with swamp ash back and sides, maple top & neck, ebony board would change my world...lol. yes, white wash back would be a must!

I spec Swamp Ash on quite a few builds... it is a GREAT tonewood and takes finish very well, producing similar color to Finished maple.

White wash Swamp Ash might just be my fave back!!

The Great Tim has spoken!

Thanks Alex! I understand how subjective describing tone can be so I appreciate it. All these swamp ash guitars do look great, and give me some ideas for what I want.

Back