swamp ash special

57/08’s are one of the best pickups I’ve ever used.
They clean up well plus everything in between and the in between is where all the best juice is.

I tried a number of different options in my old SAS:

53/10 neck with 85/15 treble
Dragon 1
Covered 59/09’s
Covered \m/ set
Uncovered \m/ neck with 85/15 treble

The winners by a long shot were Squabbin 57/08’s!

57/08s are my all time favorite PRS pickup. I have them in most of my core PRS guitars. I have sought out guitars that came stock with them when I was purchasing them. I have them in a P22 Trem, SC HBII, HBII and a few others. I put them in my Custom 22 (PTC installed this set), SAS and MC 594.

The SAS and CU22 have had them in there for a long time. The CU22 was late 2009 when they went in. I am guessing the SAS was probably in 2010 or 2011.

So here's what I did (photo below). I have a 2001 SAS with the same set up as yours, probably. I hated the pickups so I've swapped the humbuckers a few times (because the McCartys are the worst pickup PRS ever put out) and the middle once. What I've ended up with is an SD JB in the bridge, Fralin Blues Special in the middle, and Railhammer P90 in the neck. I have the regular 3-way. I replaced the tone knob with a Sweet Switch. The biggest difference was making the volume into a push/pull where pulling the knob cuts the bridge pickup and activates the middle pickup. Why? Because I don't particularly like splitting the bridge. At all. On any guitar with any pickup except the 58/15LT. I do like the middle pickup by itself and the middle and neck together, however. So this works for me. Ironically, my HSS Strat Elite also doesn't split the humbucker despite having 11 different settings.

0gEMTRZ.jpg

I wish mine had a flamed neck... Mine is a pretty plain maple neck with birds.
Is it an earlier model? When I got mine, the only ones with flamed necks had dots. If you wanted birds, you got the regular neck. That changed some time later, maybe when they switched to the 5 way blade or something.

Is it an earlier model? When I got mine, the only ones with flamed necks had dots. If you wanted birds, you got the regular neck. That changed some time later, maybe when they switched to the 5 way blade or something.
Mine is the first year for the 5 way blade switch, 2006.

It's like a detour, or an alternate route.

Oh, you meant for guitars? They make blade and toggle switches with the capability of additional wiring options, so a five-position blade can have 10 sounds, and a three-way toggle can have six.

Oh yeah, I got one of those. Confused the hell out of me… I’ve never installed it. Should just bring it to someone who knows what they’re doing. It’s a great idea.

Back