swamp ash replacement PUs

Bill SAS 513

Just another old guy in a T-shirt
So...considering swapping out McCartys on one of my older swamps...choices include open faced zebras , or Starla's...can anyone suggest to me which Zebras to try, or just noticed Starla's are wired for the older swamps...how would they sound in ash?? Btw...zebras just look sooo cool.

Clarification: Looking for some input...advice...has anyone replaced the McCarty's in their older model SAS (H-hot-rails-H with 3way toggle and push/pull)?? early 2000's (The McCartys sound great, but I am looking for a different tone) If yes, what did you put in??? I have seen a few with open zebra bobbins and love the look, and recently read that Starla's may work as well. (hmmmmmmmmmmmm???)

I know Fralin unbuckers are a popular choice in earlier SASes. What about PRS Swamp Ash Special pickups?

Most definitely sticking with PRS pickups...hopefully current SAS pus can be ordered w/o covers...still seriously considering Starlas for something completely different. Thanks very much for your input!

I have a McCarty and a Swamp Ash Special. FWIW, I don't think the pickups between the 2 sound radically different. The SAS seem a bit hotter and more "modern" to me, but they're somewhat similar.

Actually, I like the McCartys in the McCarty but too am looking for a different sound for the SAS. Thinking about Bareknuckels VHII...
53/10 would have been interesting, but they seem to be too scarce to be affordable...

Last edited:
Back