Swamp Ash Cu24 Pickup Switch Config

srmd22

I am flirting with buying one of these - really cool looking, less then 7lbs, has the 58/15's which I am curious about, and I don't have a PRS in my collection at the moment. (Although there are quite a few I which I still had). I have been playing a Hamer Vanguard with Lollar P90's I recently aquired, and I rotate in a regular old tele and a strat a lot; but there is something about PRS I keep coming back to, I just really like the vibe, and the fit and finish.

Not that that has anything to do with anything, because my question is just about how the selector works on these. I am thinking position 1 - bridge HB, 2 - bridge HB and neck SC, 3 (middle) - both HB's, 4 - bridge SC and neck HB, 5 - neck HB.

I read somewhere that some PRSi with the 5-way blade and two humbuckers (and no separate coiltap switches) work this way. I had a 90's Cu22, with the Dragon I's (I think), and to this day I don't know exactly what the switch did - it was the knob selector type - but there was a pretty big volume drop on positions 2 and 4. I know some PRSi have that problem solved with the way the coils are tapped, I am hoping this model is one of them.

Tbh, I also really love the NF pickups, which I think are in the Swampash Studio, so I may hold off and look for one of those. And, I am also curious about the 509. But this one looks really nice, and checks the boxes for a double cutaway with a trem and humbuckers.

ztxm58u9jk6ffesfsdpy.wdp

Ok, that was the really long way of asking a question, thanks for your patience!

Hmm, the GAS is not leaving. Does anyone know how the volumes are in the 2 and 4 positions? Is there a significant drop, like in the old days?

Those are 85/15 pickups.

I personally don't care much for the blade positions. I still think there is too much volume drop in 2 and 4. I immediately rewired my CU22 to get the splits with resistors, which works and sounds much better for me.

Bah, so annoying, that volume drop. I need to do a search on the 85/15's - I have had 57/08's and 53/10 which I liked - especially the 53/10's. I am wondering how the 85/15's compare - from the name I am thinking they are quite a bit hotter.

Swamp anything are great guitars...and That one's beautiful. But the NFs are a bit of a different beast...try both...he!!, get both!!!!
Around here, it's not uncommon to hear of someone trading in internal organs to grow their collection...LOL
But again, that one's reeeeeeeally nice.

Bah, so annoying, that volume drop. I need to do a search on the 85/15's - I have had 57/08's and 53/10 which I liked - especially the 53/10's. I am wondering how the 85/15's compare - from the name I am thinking they are quite a bit hotter.

The 85's aren't hot at all. Very much in the PAF output range, but they're bright and clear. They split better (with the PRS resistor wiring) than any other pickups I've heard. I think they're under-utilized in the blade configuration.

Back