Suspicion re: Used PRS CE

ALANTIG! Thanks for the MODCAT data! What a resource. I had popped the pups yesterday to check what they were and had snapped photos of all details. CEM4F-MTIDT-RB-NH-V5. It is Royal Blue. Perfect sleuthing.

2002 Royal Blue 100%.

Royal Blue was always a wrap color and had black rings.

Whale Blue always had the scraped binding and a black black with cream rings.

Blue Mateo always had clear back and sides with cream rings.

Yeah, I am talking it over with my son. He had wanted blue matteo, but this one has a nicer top than any matteo I have seen. The seller got the listing all wrong. This is a 2002 Royal Blue, not a 1995 Blue Matteo. Might be nitpicky.

2002 Royal Blue 100%.

Do you mean "always for the 2002 CEs"? IMHO, "always" and PRS are not a 100% guarantee. But I would say "almost always" or "For regular core models not a dealer run". My SAS, because it doesn't have a maple cap, had a completely different implementation of Blue Matteo from what you would find on a CU24 or CE, for example - it is just BM all over.

And the color of the pup rings might change due to personal tastes by a previous owner, so that may be a red herring.

Do you mean "always for the 2002 CEs"? IMHO, "always" and PRS are not a 100% guarantee. But I would say "almost always" or "For regular core models not a dealer run". My SAS, because it doesn't have a maple cap, had a completely different implementation of Blue Matteo from what you would find on a CU24 or CE, for example - it is just BM all over.

And the color of the pup rings might change due to personal tastes by a previous owner, so that may be a red herring.

Blue Mateo was very different on the SAS. Translucent base coat instead of rubbed in dye.

There were much fewer exceptions in color back then. There is always the possibility of an oddity, of course.

I have a 2003 version of that guitar. It`s a tremendous player that I would recommend your son play. If you buy it, have the first setup done by a pro who has set up PRS guitars before. The color is just plain awesome.

What is the MODCAT? Is there a reason why Royal Blue got the wrap around?
On the outside of the case (probably been taken off by now), and in the bridge pick up cavity, there is a sticker that looks a lot like a UPC code. It has a 15, or so, digit code that has all of the details of the build including the color. There is a decoder thread on this forum you can use to decode it.

Edit: I see I'm late to the party...

2002 Royal Blue 100%.

Reading your post and agreeing with it, I realized that I remember these details about shades of blue on PRS guitars from 15 years ago, but I can't remember what my wife reminds me to get at the grocery store.

I realized that I remember these details about shades of blue on PRS guitars from 15 years ago, but I can't remember what my wife reminds me to get at the grocery store.

Maybe if they sold PRS at the grocery store?

I hate making grocery lists with my girl, mostly because she always leaves them at home, but the real reason is because whenever she starts making one and asks me what we need I say "Electric guitars". I make her write it on the list, and every time she comes home without one! :mad:

I always contact PRS Customer service to get the build specifics. They are great about sending that, and I get to find out cool stuff about my guitars.

Damn kids. What a kicker. After a couple of weeks with it, my son has decided he really doesn't like the darker Royal Blue, and... he would prefer a painted top. Son of a gun. I am going to have to resell this CE now. Letting him pick something on his own without my advice. That said, I did pick up a black DGT for a song on Reverb this weekend, FOR MYSELF! Do you know what my son picked? A Charvel Pro Mod So Cal, in RED! Learned a lesson about helping my kids picking things.

Damn kids. What a kicker. After a couple of weeks with it, my son has decided he really doesn't like the darker Royal Blue, and... he would prefer a painted top. Son of a gun. I am going to have to resell this CE now. Letting him pick something on his own without my advice. That said, I did pick up a black DGT for a song on Reverb this weekend, FOR MYSELF! Do you know what my son picked? A Charvel Pro Mod So Cal, in RED! Learned a lesson about helping my kids picking things.

I’d ground him.... which would be difficult as I would have disowned him for bringing home a blue guitar.

Raising a child is challenging these days.

Great job on the DGT for you though!

Heh. I had offered him my red Am St Strat, but he declined. Pointed out to him after his pick that the Charvel kind of a cheaper Strat! He grew up playing a Charvel, so maybe brand loyalty? I will post upon the arrival of my DGT. Thanks for all the advice here. Taught me a lot.

Back