Sure, I’ve Spent A Ton Of Money, But...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sergiodeblanc, May 26, 2021.

1. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

I spent most of my music life playing other peoples’ music. Only really copped Neal Schon’s rig - at that point in time - because I discovered what a stereo rig does to your guitar ego (exponential expansion). That was the first time I felt that I sounded really good, 38 Special/Eric Clapton/SRV/and all other covered bands be damned...except Journey. :D From there it was about my sound, not theirs. Didn’t want to sound like other guitarists in the band, didn’t want to play like other guitarists, either. That was translated in my gear choices always using what I’d already accumulated. That got weird at times! Heck, it’s probably weird now, but I embrace weird and enjoy playing my own music the way my weird mind interprets it. I’m continually surprised when my non public videos get 100+ views.

When you’re in a band, you aren’t always buying gear you want to buy. Something stupid, like PA, breaks or you fry a crossover, or need more cables (always) and someone has to buy it or you don’t play. So have I spent a metric butt-load over 40 years? Yeah, but that doesn’t make me special, just a lame musician.

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra, gush and 8 others like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Actually, I think we’re both agreeing, just stating it in different ways!

Needs are going to vary from player to player, and project to project. And of course, like you my gear earns its own way. Ultimately, the gear has to function for our creative needs.

I love the Einstein quote, though I think in context, he was restating Occam’s Razor relative to his own thinking (pun intended).

3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I knew you would ;):p

4. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Yes sir. That happens a lot. We have a lot in common, methinks!

I’ve never found the exact context of the quote, honestly, but I’d certainly accept that it is, considering Mr E’s other work and the usefulness of not adding flufff to your possibilities.

I do enjoy hearing your perspectives, Les!

5. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

First of all...I dig the topic dude.

As far as "tone chasing" goes...it's not my thing. Don't get me wrong, I do love, and I mean LOVE the tones of my guitar heroes. That being said, I know, no matter how much gear I have...I'll never have their hands or more importantly their ability to express themselves like they do. Good news is...after just a few short years, I've realized I don't want to sound exactly like my heroes anymore. I want to sound like myself and be happy with what I hear.
    Sure, I love trying to learn a particular piece of music. But mostly I learn those pieces to improve MY playing, by taking what they did and incorporate it in some way and make it my own, or just to add to my musical vocabulary.

I will have a DGT eventually. But honestly, Big Momma II (my beloved 245 SE for you new peeps) and my little THR10II fit my situation perfectly at the moment. No doubt, it would be cool to have a gazillion cool guitars and tons of gear, but realistically, I'm just a ham fisted, bedroom wanker that gets "option paralysis" if there are more than 4 or 5 choices. So, for now...if I'm honest with myself, I'm completely satisfied with what I have. There I said it.

#45 ScottR, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  6. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

You eat boogers and ya dress funny.

How's that.:p

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra, gush and 6 others like this.
  7. watelessness

watelessness Member

nice to see you post again, but i request that you fix your typo of "altar" in the original post. make it work! :p

dogrocketp, sergiodeblanc and RickP like this.
  8. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

OMG! Good call! Sh!t... I can’t edit without getting the internal error message! :oops:

9. sergiodeblanc

Lol, while I suppose there was a bit about finding your own tone and sh!t like that...

I was just more thinking about how due to my circumstances, I don’t really have to wonder what a real 50s-60s vintage piece would do for me. It’s just the direct comparison isn’t really there for me because I don’t listen to that stuff, and since it’s the in between clean and really dirty tones that are the hardest to get.

10. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Julie's back!

Oh, I still am. I love Chinese food. What is your favorite?

11. DreamTheaterRules

If I'm not on it (ignore list)... who is you is? :)

#51 DreamTheaterRules, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    dogrocketp and Aahzz like this.
  12. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Energized

Perhaps. I'm just a busier guy than some.

Do you think that's what the answer is? o_O:)

dogrocketp and ScottR like this.
  13. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I've spent more money on guitars and musical gear than my talent level deserves.
    But... there's nobody to tell me not to, or to turn that dang thing down, so... I don't care.
    Me happy.:D

14. Black Plaid

Black Plaid Other Alan!

I think I got to the same place you did, but via a different route. My ideal tone is in my head, but it turns out the closest I can get is a PRS through a Mesa Mark series.

It seems to be somewhere between the 80s tones of Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Slayer, but none of them exactly. Go figure.

15. TerraRich

TerraRich New Member

Yeah, same here. Born in 70. Burned out on Classic Rock by '82. Never needed that classic "mid-range growl" on guitars or amps. Heck, even Eddie modernized his gear and tone after VHII. I admit to having been a slave to Charvel as recently as 2018, but the last few years I have really just sought out things I like instead of things I feel I should have.

16. sergiodeblanc

Heh, the funny thing is that’s my “classic” setup. So it’s not like I’m conceptually all that different from the boomers (sorry, I hate to have to generalize with that term) with their “classic” setups... it’s just shifted a couple decades. :p

17. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Energized

Serg,

Ya know I love ya still, but I still wouldn't buy a used car from you. Your own words: "Buy, Never Sell." :)

dogrocketp likes this.
  18. DreamTheaterRules

hmmm, how about "your mother wears Army boots" ???

"your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" ??

19. DreamTheaterRules

Hold on there, cowboy. I bet you'd look pretty spiffy pulling up to the local watering hole in Sergio's low rider.

dogrocketp, alantig and bodia like this.
  20. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Crown Vic, for the win!