Super Models (plug in)

IMHO, there aren’t many women in the world who are even in her league. GORGEOUS!!!
c6NMIT03_400x400.jpg

VERY Preliminary Thoughts...please take these with a grain of salt, I only spent a few hours with these plugins. I didn’t put together a comparison clip, because spending a few hours with a powerful piece of software isn’t enough time to really learn what it can/can’t do. So when I say these are only initial impressions, I mean it.

I’ve spent years with my real amps, and two hours with these plugins. Now, on to the impressions...

First I bought this plugin set because it was on sale for only $49. Great price for any decent plugin. I wanted to have some time to work with it in some different contexts, so it made sense to buy it.

I spent about three hours with the Dallas and V9 models; I didn’t get to the Archon for lack of time. As I said earlier, that’s not a lot of time to spend learning a piece of software.

I recorded them with my 594, through my pedalboard, into an Avalon U5 Direct Box, and from there into my UA Apollo. My computer runs Logic Pro (latest version, whatever that is).

I ran the guitar through my pedalboard because Waves says to use a buffer before the DI; the pedalboard has a very high quality buffer made by Pettyjohn.

I tried it with and without the pedals I normally use, which gave me a nice opportunity to compare the plugin amps to the types of sounds I get with my real amps and my own rig.

I directly compared the Dallas and V9 models to similar styles of amps from Brainworx and UAD (i.e., Fender-style and whatever amps I could get to mimic the V9 type of sound. Like Waves, Brainworx and UAD do component modeling, which I agree is the best way to model hardware.

The Dallas and V9 plugins sounded at least as good, if not a little more clear and present, than some of the Brainworx models, and were about tied with others, like the “Bassdude.” They sounded as good or better than most of the UAD models, but not quite as real as the UAD Tweed Deluxe model. All of these are top, highly regarded plugins, so the Supernodels are in good company. I have other amp model plugs I don’t think are on that level, so I didn’t bother comparing them.

I also tried the Dallas plugin with the speaker cab emulation turned off, using an Ownhammer IR. I didn’t care for that quite as much, though it certainly works. The cab IRs that come with the Dallas seem to be well-matched to the plugin’s amp emulation. I didn’t use 3rd party IRs with the V9, as there wasn’t time.

These two plugins were easy to play through. There wasn’t noticeable latency with my UA Apollo. Once I got the hang of setting the levels, there wasn’t any crackling or other audio nonsense.

I also and compared the plugin tracks to some solo’d tracks of pieces I’ve recorded with my real amps, for example, setting the Dallas plugin as closely to the Lone Star as I could; and to the real HXDA set clean.

I turned off all processing such as compressors, reverbs, and EQs on both the model and the real amps.

The plugins sound quite good for plugins, but when you switch the solo button from the modeled track to the real track, they have less liquidity and 3-dimensionality than the recordings of the real amps. The caveat here is...my time with these plugins was limited today, and maybe I can make them sound more real down the road.

As of today’s initial test, compared to the recordings of my amps, they have less front-to-back depth, less fullness/oomph, and they sound drier. The sense of “bounce” and liquidity I hear with a real tube amp was missing.

In other words, as of today, did they sound like real amps miked up in a real room? Sadly, no. Edit: But I'm working on it!

Trying to remedy this, and thinking one difference might be the mic on the real amps picking up a little room reverb, I tried several reverbs with it, including UAD Ocean Way and some other IR rooms, but I couldn’t get the plugins to sound like real amps through my recording rig.

However, the very good news is that both models tested responded very nicely to the volume control of the guitar. That was a nice surprise, and they also felt pretty good to play.

Since I bought the plugin instead of just demoing it, I have plenty of time to work with it and try to get it to sound more like the real thing. Did I waste my $49? Well, if I have a couple of nice evenings playing around with them, or come up with some good musical idea using them, no, it wasn’t a waste. And maybe I can get them to sound more real somehow.

Anyway, these are initial thoughts, subject to change once I have more time to spend with the plugs. As of this moment, I’m going to head down to the studio again, and have another go using them.

:)

Edit: See my post below for a comparison clip, real vs model. I think I got the model sounding pretty darn good, though I prefer the real amp.

Second Edit: After another day or two with these, I think they’re among the top 2 modeling plugins on the market, and if you’re not a UAD user, they’re the best out there.

I was impressed a few years ago with the Scuffham S-Gear plugins, but the I wasn’t crazy about the amps they were modeling.

The Brainworx/UAD amps have some nice features and sound good, but...they don’t have the tweakability of these plugins. The UAD Tweed, however, is maybe a little more real-sounding, but it’s pretty close, especially once you load in your own IRs, and while the Tweed model sounds very amp like, a real Tweed Deluxe has a different tone as well.

So I like these. I’ll use them for scratch tracks, and they’ll get a workout in my system.
Hi what buffer /pedal can you suggest I should buy to use with this software?,what is the reason for this before the interface? thanks

Hi what buffer /pedal can you suggest I should buy to use with this software?,what is the reason for this before the interface? thanks

I’m guessing that Waves suggested this because some interfaces don’t provide the optimal amplifier-like impedance load for the pickups.

I have the Pettyjohn Lift buffer, but I’m sure any good buffer would be fine. As an aside, since my earlier post I’ve tried the plugin using the Avalon U5 direct box, and I thought it worked well.

My guess is that lots of interfaces will be fine without an external buffer, though I do like the overall tone of the Pettyjohn Lift generally.

I’m guessing that Waves suggested this because some interfaces don’t provide the optimal amplifier-like impedance load for the pickups.

I have the Pettyjohn Lift buffer, but I’m sure any good buffer would be fine. As an aside, since my earlier post I’ve tried the plugin using the Avalon U5 direct box, and I thought it worked well.

My guess is that lots of interfaces will be fine without an external buffer, though I do like the overall tone of the Pettyjohn Lift generally.
Hi the interface I am using is a presonas 26 how can I find out if this is OK or not?

Back