Super Models (plug in)

Feel free to PM me, no worries. I don’t have a Suhr Strat, though; I don’t have any Strat style guitars, or for that matter, any Suhr guitars; I’ve played some Suhrs, but don’t own one. I do have lots of Suhr pedals, though!

My son’s record is Partybaby, “The Golden Age of Bulls%!t,” released by Warner Brothers Records here, and Paradyse in the UK. There’s an acoustic version EP of several of the songs, called “Versions” that was also released here by Warner Brothers.

So you can find his work easily on iTunes, HD Tracks, etc. Also check out his production work (and playing) on 30 Seconds To Mars’ album, “America.”

Nice review of Versions in the British mag DIY here; they also had a nice review of Golden Age, but I can’t link it because it says the word ‘bullish!t’.

http://diymag.com/2016/11/24/partybaby-versions-dont-say-it-bedroom

Oh I thought when you said used a suhr you meant an actual suhr guitar with UAD. I misunderstood. I gotta tell you I like single coils just as much as Bucks. Depends on what Im doing.

Yeah Ill definitely check your sons work out today. Major label guy and major producer. Its funny someone that worked for me, her band was 30 seconds to Mars and she's like yeah Jared Leto. And Im like the actor? She did;t know he was an actor, and I had only found out he formed the band with his brother. Anyway, yeah definitely download his music and check out his production work! Wikipedia says America was just released this year. Your son is going places. Nice! Ill read the article today and check it all out. Let you know what I think. :)

Thats great! Ill grab it tomorrow and listen to it. I really am not familiar with their music. I heard a couple of tunes they sounded good. Looking forward to checking America out and Ill let you know what I think!!!! I would have checked it out today but something special arrived...

Just got my DG30! Love the way its set up (like my older Fenders in a lot of ways which surprised me) gives me so many more drive possibilities though and I plugged it straight .....Cranked the master and raised the volume too and lowered the guitars volume at different settings while messing with the eq was my fav. so far discovering many great tones...no pedal use yet..Just direct. I was surprised at the versatility. Sure old fenders are great and i love em but were talking about one maybe two really nice sweet spots on old fenders (incredible sweet spots but nonetheless) at best this but this was so versatile I was finding all kinds of things I can do with it. ..I guess I am partial to one channel set ups like this too or rather separate master volume.....I am prone to them and yeah like most great tube amps you gotta open her up loud and then///// "chills down my spine"... I played several hours... Its 2:30 am had to force myself to stop. I have issues lol.

Whats the difference between the 50 and this besides wattage? I mean, its plenty loud for large enough gigs and could always mic it if at large indoor gig so I don't get the 50 watt unless theres more to it than wattage which I doubt given the set up. I mean sure our two large annual venues (one outdoor) I use my twins and don't mic (you just will never use the volume a twin reverb has unless you want permanent hearing damage).... But this was loud enough "I think" for any large venue indoor just maybe miced. I suppose I don't know I need to spend more time with that and play it with the band before I assume that but seems the way it felt that more wattage would be a handicap??

Sure Im still curious about the HXDA but for right now Im pretty happy.....This maybe a new amp but its total vintage.

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
The album hit #1 on the alt rock charts a few weeks ago. No idea how it's doing now, but my son was happy.

I bought the album and listened to some of it on my drive this morning. Production wise...im impressed. Thats whats considered alternative these days? Well not a fan of the band Im not going to lie to you......but the music stunningly perfectly well produced...so I must be way out of touch with todays music but really impressed with the vocal mixing FX with the keys etc. But the sound.....the sound the mix everything was really top notch and couldn't be better. To me the best part of hearing it. Your son is a really great engineer. I can only imagine what he's working with. The drums sounded like it was digital though from what I heard on my way in. Now I just looked it up and it is actually noted that the Jareds brother is the drummer not the guitarist for the band. Did your son do that work or thats how he just mixed it or I need to hear the rest of the album maybe I don't know. I only heard what I could on my way to work. There wasn't a lot of drums in what I heard so far.. What I heard so far was mostly keys and harmonized vocals with what sounded like coded or produced digital percussion or keys or I could be wrong. If he did that too thats really impressive. It sounded really good in my car.

FX on the lead vocals etc was fantastic with the keys! I doubt an actors raw files sound anything like that live..well they probably have similar racks live too I suppose for a band like that. It sounded beautiful. Im guessing Jared being an actor can he really sing that well or did your son make him sound that good yes? Maybe Im wrong what do I know?I listen to prog. Art Rock bands like Rush, old Genesis (now defunct) and dead peoples fusion music so I guess don't be offended if Its not my kinda of music, Im out of touch with whats good these days but thats not his job anyway and the mix was perfecto!!!!. I haven't heard a nice mix like that in awhile and it sounded great in my car stereo! It must be difficult to make something sound good in every system too Id imagine. He must be extremely knowledgable to handle a major record label mix thats just really impressive....Makes me wonder what major records are using these days since the digital software advances. Like were shelling out 25k just to record, mix and master pre and post production ( then have to pay for everything else like the Vinyl etc) in a local but professional studio the stones recorded back in the day using tape and I thought the new set up was impressive. They had amazing hardware in the mixing room so I can't even begin to imagine what post type hardware your sons working with in a major record label studio and also how much of the post was used with software or are they still using expensive hardware in post mixes like that in major record labels? Like mega compression hardware or are they using some of the same stuff???? I know software is starting to surpass hardware in a lot of areas but Im sure they have whatever he wants. Id be very curious to see what they use in major recording labels like that these days. I mean do they actually use UAD plug ins or do they have the real hardware instead emulation or both Im guessing? I know they had some seriously vintage hardware where we are going like hardware compression and EQs and I doubt they use half of it. I would love to see the mix room of something like that. Is it the same as what is now affordable to local pros or highly unlikely? Thats what Id like to know. You've got millions invested and I have no doubt with that kinda stuff the best mics for the right job etc but what does the mixing room look like in warner bro studios? I couldn't even imagine.

Gonna check out your sons album soon too. Really like hearing new bands or unheard bands..I like to also if I like them share with friends etc. Ill check that out next and Ill listen to the rest of the America album in the car again on my way home. Great production work! But I kinda expected it to be.

I bought the album and listened to some of it on my drive this morning. Production wise...im impressed. Thats whats considered alternative these days? Well not a fan of the band Im not going to lie to you......but the music stunningly perfectly well produced...so I must be way out of touch with todays music but really impressed with the vocal mixing FX with the keys etc. But the sound.....the sound the mix everything was really top notch and couldn't be better. To me the best part of hearing it. Your son is a really great engineer. I can only imagine what he's working with. The drums sounded like it was digital though from what I heard on my way in. Now I just looked it up and it is actually noted that the Jareds brother is the drummer not the guitarist for the band. Did your son do that work or thats how he just mixed it or I need to hear the rest of the album maybe I don't know. I only heard what I could on my way to work. There wasn't a lot of drums in what I heard so far.. What I heard so far was mostly keys and harmonized vocals with what sounded like coded or produced digital percussion or keys or I could be wrong. If he did that too thats really impressive. It sounded really good in my car.

FX on the lead vocals etc was fantastic with the keys! I doubt an actors raw files sound anything like that live..well they probably have similar racks live too I suppose for a band like that. It sounded beautiful. Im guessing Jared being an actor can he really sing that well or did your son make him sound that good yes? Maybe Im wrong what do I know?I listen to prog. Art Rock bands like Rush, old Genesis (now defunct) and dead peoples fusion music so I guess don't be offended if Its not my kinda of music, Im out of touch with whats good these days but thats not his job anyway and the mix was perfecto!!!!. I haven't heard a nice mix like that in awhile and it sounded great in my car stereo! It must be difficult to make something sound good in every system too Id imagine. He must be extremely knowledgable to handle a major record label mix thats just really impressive....Makes me wonder what major records are using these days since the digital software advances. Like were shelling out 25k just to record, mix and master pre and post production ( then have to pay for everything else like the Vinyl etc) in a local but professional studio the stones recorded back in the day using tape and I thought the new set up was impressive. They had amazing hardware in the mixing room so I can't even begin to imagine what post type hardware your sons working with in a major record label studio and also how much of the post was used with software or are they still using expensive hardware in post mixes like that in major record labels? Like mega compression hardware or are they using some of the same stuff???? I know software is starting to surpass hardware in a lot of areas but Im sure they have whatever he wants. Id be very curious to see what they use in major recording labels like that these days. I mean do they actually use UAD plug ins or do they have the real hardware instead emulation or both Im guessing? I know they had some seriously vintage hardware where we are going like hardware compression and EQs and I doubt they use half of it. I would love to see the mix room of something like that. Is it the same as what is now affordable to local pros or highly unlikely? Thats what Id like to know. You've got millions invested and I have no doubt with that kinda stuff the best mics for the right job etc but what does the mixing room look like in warner bro studios? I couldn't even imagine.

Gonna check out your sons album soon too. Really like hearing new bands or unheard bands..I like to also if I like them share with friends etc. Ill check that out next and Ill listen to the rest of the America album in the car again on my way home. Great production work! But I kinda expected it to be.

I’ve seen 30 STM live, and yeah, Jared really does sound like that. He’s got a good voice, no BS.

As far as I know, 30 STM generally track at Jared’s home studio, which is equipped the way actual, regular people have stuff in their homes. It’s pretty modest, actually; he’s had it on some internet videos, so I’m not sharing any deep, dark secrets.

You might be surprised that they do use UAD, Waves, and other plugins that ordinary folks can go out and buy. They use hardware, too. Nothing unobtainium - Jared’s vocals are cut with a Rode mic, for example, because that’s what he likes.

The Partybaby record was tracked at their old studio (they recently moved into a similar space), which is in a regular building, not purpose-built, and modestly equipped. This Fender ad was photographed in their old space. The idea that major label records need to be cut in million dollar rooms was supplanted years ago by spaces like this; as you can see, there’s nothing in there regular folks can’t buy. We gearheads tend to focus on the gear; but it ain’t about the gear. It’s about the talent. ;)

DUYi2k2.jpg

Some mixing for major label projects is done in very ordinary project studios like this one; some is done by famous mix guys with high-end consoles and fancy rooms. These days, that all depends on the song and the artist’s preference. And on many albums, it’s done both in small project rooms, and by several different mixers.

Last edited:
I’ve seen 30 STM live, and yeah, Jared really does sound like that. He’s got a good voice, no BS.

As far as I know, 30 STM generally track at Jared’s home studio, which is equipped the way actual, regular people have stuff in their homes. It’s pretty modest, actually; he’s had it on some internet videos, so I’m not sharing any deep, dark secrets.

You might be surprised that they do use UAD, Waves, and other plugins that ordinary folks can go out and buy. They use hardware, too. Nothing unobtainium - Jared’s vocals are cut with a Rode mic, for example, because that’s what he likes.

The Partybaby record was tracked at their old studio (they recently moved into a similar space), which is in a regular building, not purpose-built, and modestly equipped. This Fender ad was photographed in their old space. The idea that major label records need to be cut in million dollar rooms was supplanted years ago by spaces like this; as you can see, there’s nothing in there regular folks can’t buy. We gearheads tend to focus on the gear; but it ain’t about the gear. It’s about the talent. ;)

DUYi2k2.jpg

Some mixing for major label projects is done in very ordinary project studios like this one; some is done by famous mix guys with high-end consoles and fancy rooms. These days, that all depends on the song and the artist’s preference. And on many albums, it’s done both in small project rooms, and by several different mixers.

Thats true! I have a lot of nice guitar amps but thats because I have an addiction to guitar but I am satisfied with just one amp if it came down to it..I just don't need to spend money on anything else really.

Anyway yeah Yeah Peter Gabriel records in his house although Im sure he's got a nice set up. I heard Led Zeppelin did crazy stuff like record their drums with sm57s in an elevator shaft. I used to rent a space I converted to a studio but it got expensive so now that Im divorced Im using my 3rd floor attic and yeah were recording in a real studio that was built as one but its a small business now that rents out to real engineers that do it for a living.... The place just has history thats all. Someone bought the building and leases it to engineers or they find the engineer if approached and take their cut so it will be fun. Id record our first double album myself but I am still learning. I use it as a song writing tool. I just learned how not to clip my mixes a year ago lol and getting into using the plug ins properly now.I just hooked my bass player up with a machine and logic and we all get together and finish it up together. Were a live group and sure I suppose I could do it in my attic but hey if you've been in a live band for over a 12 years and are making your first real double album you put your blood sweat and tears and years of your life into.... you may find yourself paying a professional engineer too. A year ago I was clipping my mixes because I recorded at the wrong levels. LMAO!

Im glad to hear Jared can actually sing. There is a lot of FX running on his voice and I hear about these pop stars using that auto tuning stuff. So was some of those tunes sequenced? Like that song monolith? Sounds like maybe it was. I dunno. I enjoyed it even though Im not personally into the music I still respect it. No doubt they have talent!!!!! I think thats really cool your son is involved working with famous people for major record labels thats killing it in the field. Is some of that sequenced? Did your son do that or the keyboard player?? Like that song monolith. Kinda short tune but interesting.

Its not an easy business to make a full time living at especially if you have a day job. There are a lot of talented people in my town that like us didn't get beyond being known locally and are very cool with it. We always pushed each other to be different. And others that did tour all over the world from a one hit wonder and are now back in town working regular jobs!!! Just about everyone except Bon Jovi he did well I guess but a little before our time. I know them and its funny how the music business is and how its changed..If we call up a new club that never heard of us they ask if were a cover band. We say no but we throw some in that we make our own and they say we only take cover bands before we can even tell them we can bring in a crowd. So we play where people want to hear us or places that people actually go to listen to something new or know us and its all good. This was not like this 10-15 years ago or as hard to find. Peoples minds have turned to jelly lol. I recently asked my ex wife (were still very close) why that is and she gave me the right answer. Its because people (meaning herself included) want to go out and hear songs they already know and drink and sing to them. They don't want to hear something new. I was shocked but realized she was correct. Look at the rock charts in like UK and here. Some of the hit rock songs on the charts were written 20-30 years ago..still on the charts?????. Its kinda interesting how things change and how rock died but is coming back in different ways. There is a lot less guitar is todays music if you notice but its all coming around full circle again. It wasn't always like that. I recall people going out (myself included looking to hear a new band). Something new and different and wed push each other to be different or unique...I dunno maybe Im cynical of the entire music industry and what a lot of people listen too and what us popular..I can't handle rap or country or at least most of it I can't. Yet country music is the most highly produced music. So maybe its me!!!!!. lol. I love music and love playing it. Thats all that matters.

Sure 30STM has talent. Im sure they do as does your son. Jared is also a fantastic actor. I only found out he was a musician a year ago! I think his brother approached him or something and asked to form the band? I dunno much about them. I only really gave them a good listening to today. But I agree 100 percent. Its about the music and talent...Not the location. Cheer to your son. Any more info about the drums or keys would be interesting to hear about. :)

I just love music. Ill play till I drop.

Any more info about the drums or keys would be interesting to hear about. :)

I just love music. Ill play till I drop.

I’ll drop making music, too. Each co-producer on that record (there were several) did things their own way, I’m sure, so any answers I have would just be guesswork.

I know a little bit about Jamie’s process, but it’s just enough to get myself in trouble! LOL

I’ll drop making music, too. Each co-producer on that record (there were several) did things their own way, I’m sure, so any answers I have would just be guesswork.

I know a little bit about Jamie’s process, but it’s just enough to get myself in trouble! LOL

Covert Really? I didn't realize there would be things you can't repeat or say making an album but I guess press etc I understand. Did he have to sign a non disclosure or something? Thats interesting in itself.

Thats ok....I understand covert quite well. My father was a civilian scientist for the military. Guess what he did for a living?
I honestly don't know! :)

Covert Really? I didn't realize there would be things you can't repeat or say making an album but I guess press etc I understand. Did he have to sign a non disclosure or something? Thats interesting in itself.

Thats ok....I understand covert quite well. My father was a civilian scientist for the military. Guess what he did for a living?
I honestly don't know! :)

It’s not covert, and no NDA.

As I said, only know a little. And when a person knows only a little, it’s wiser to not be making guesses, isn’t it?

Pretty soulful singing I liked that..impressive. I kept feeling there was going to be a larger change up in the song..I guess that made it more interesting..Sometimes basic is better. Ha. I knew there were digital pads. Seemed like that on the America album. Pretty basic w. the percussion...what two toms and digital midi pads. interesting!

Jared at the Louvre, flash mob thing in April or May. The guy with the guitar’s my son, who toured with them this year.

Not to derail LSchefmen indulging in some well deserved "nachus", from his son... ;)

This is the most useful video on the original topic that I've seen

I must be doing something horribly wrong with my Archon 50 plug in. Compared to my Positive Grid BIAS FX plug in (Dual Rectifier setting), the Archon 50 amp sounds incredibly weak and thin, no balls at all. I wish someone could show me what part I'm missing because every video on YouTube demoing the metal side of it sounds great but when I try and dial it in, it sounds like a bag o' a$$.

I must be doing something horribly wrong with my Archon 50 plug in. Compared to my Positive Grid BIAS FX plug in (Dual Rectifier setting), the Archon 50 amp sounds incredibly weak and thin, no balls at all. I wish someone could show me what part I'm missing because every video on YouTube demoing the metal side of it sounds great but when I try and dial it in, it sounds like a bag o' a$$.

Things you may or may not have tried, but might be worth a look:

1. Use the automatic input level thing. It improves the responsiveness and tone quite a bit.

2. Click on the “extra” controls (for overdrive and sag) that don’t immediately show up on the front panel. There are little icons for them (check the manual).

3. Try the various speaker IR choices, and also try loading in some of your own IRs. I’ve gotten my most satisfactory results with some of my Celestion and Ownhammer IRs.

4. Add external effects, such as reverbs for placement in a simulated room, or delays. Or tape. Or...well...whatever ya got.

I’m NOT a PRS amp owner yet, but I did purchase the MT 15 based on the PRS Supermodels plug-in.

I bought it for $49.99 & just love the work-flow with amp sim plug-ins.

The Archon model is the near perfect sound & tone I seak for what I try to do. I like the TS style pedals & the over all feel too. I’m a Fractal AX8 & FX8 Guy.....& still love those products, but the Supermodels all sound great and just work for me.

I still can’t believe the tones and the price I paid. I’m working on a full CD of Instumental Rock tunes & this is a big part of it all now.

I just thought I’d add my 2-cents while I wait for the MT 15 to arrive.

Peace! X

Last edited:
Back