Super Eagle II - Mayer ? Lee Anderton drops a hint.

DogPhishHead

Saw this on his FB page yesterday:

Rumours are flying around that John Mayer is about to announce his second PRS Super Eagle (the Super Eagle II). Given that the Super Eagle was designed for his Grateful Dead gigs, I thought it was interesting that Jerry Garcia's favourite guitar goes to auction this month! Check it out - you can kind of see where the Super Eagle inspiration comes from!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39794386

Obviously as the head of Anderton's Lee has some insight. Anyone hear heard this yet ? It couldn't be the PRS S-style Mayer's been playing, could it ? Seems totally wrong for a Super Eagle concept.

A core version under $5k would be nice. Don't expect any official conformation to come from this forum though. I suspect folks in the know like keeping their jobs.

I feel like they wouldn't call the Proto a Super Eagle since the models appear to be so different.

I see two possibilities:
  1. Another limited run from PS with some tweaks after John using the first run on tour for a while. Likely no price difference from the original run.
  2. A core version
I'm hopeful for a core version. They would sell a boatload at normal Core prices. Shoot, I'd be tempted to offload some of my gear to go after one. Just a note, this is how the 594s got started. A limited PS run and then a Core model.

Lee responded to my FB comment where I was hoping for a bolt on and reasonable price....his comment to both "you'll be deeply disappointed" Thus I assume it'll be a different finish color Private Stock again.

I'm not big on the Super Eagle myself, although I am a big JM fan. Certainly nothing against the Super Eagle, I can see why people would like it... just not me, and that's ok.

Fun fact: In the early 2000's, John Mayer urged Paul to create a more affordable line of guitars for students. Many believe that SE stands for Student Edition or Special Edition, but no, it stands for "Super Eagle." It's on the internet (now) so it must be true.

Back