Super Dallas + old 335 = yes!

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
Posting for posterity sake. Clips involving a Super Dallas are pretty rare, and though this is almost 6 years old and mostly shows my unfinished basement ceiling (makes you focus on the tone), it still highlights the character of this great, great amp. At least I think it’s great.

Single note stuff at the very end shows off the sustain and old guitar wood beauty.

Last edited:
That amp sounds ridiculously good. Is that the guitar, amp, or both? Did you have to dime it to get that tone?
Wow, thanks Wedge! The guitar is pretty special (‘71 ES-335TD w/ T-tops) and the pedalboard was painstakingly designed for the amp, but all that is moot if the amp cannot deliver the goods. It’s not dimed, per se, but it’s probably at 2:00 on the master and 10:00 on the volume with the pedals pushing that front end. Honestly, it is loud, but the results, as Bodia said, are glorious. With the DGT, I just can’t stop grinning. Add the pine 2x12 SPL goes up a bunch but the grind is just a little bit better. Ok, it’s a bunch better, but the 1x12 sounds pretty good without causing ear bleeding.

Last edited:
A ‘72 Gibson! I’ve got a ‘72 SG with those embossed T-Tops in them, and they’re some kinda sweet! Nice middle of the road output, clear rockin’ tone. Sounds great in that 335! Very cool that, for a company the size of Gibson, that was the only year they used those covers.

Posting for posterity sake. Clips involving a Super Dallas are pretty rare, and though this is almost 6 years old and mostly shows my unfinished basement ceiling (makes you focus on the tone), it still highlights the character of this great, great amp. At least I think it’s great.

Single note stuff at the very end shows off the sustain and old guitar wood beauty.

You had me at:

“Check it out….”

Awww Yeah!!

And if watching an unfinished basement ceiling doesn’t do it for you, I present Sami the fetching Cat…

I am literally doing this with my tabby Kitten “Bernadette”! She loves a bobble.

We also have Sheldon, Penny (brother and sister from last year) and Amy (Bernie’s sister). Penny also plays fetch.

A ‘72 Gibson! I’ve got a ‘72 SG with those embossed T-Tops in them, and they’re some kinda sweet! Nice middle of the road output, clear rockin’ tone. Sounds great in that 335! Very cool that, for a company the size of Gibson, that was the only year they used those covers.
It’s interesting you say ‘72. Diving down the rabbit hole of aging a vintage Gibson, the serial number is not in the 70 range but older than the 72 ranges. Pots are dated in the late 60s. Like you, the stamped pickup covers are a dead give away, but everything else points to slightly older. Maybe it was a late-in-the-year make held for the 72 product release? Who knows? Regardless, those pups are amazing. I’d LOVE to hear your SG!

I am literally doing this with my tabby Kitten “Bernadette”! She loves a bobble.

We also have Sheldon, Penny (brother and sister from last year) and Amy (Bernie’s sister). Penny also plays fetch.
Sami isn’t much interested anymore, sadly, but it was fun while it lasted. We also have Sami’s brother Dybbuk, Ed Big Head, and our tabby kitten, Cucuy (which is the Mexican boogieman. Appropriate, eh?).

oh, and pics or they’re toy poodles.

It’s interesting you say ‘72. Diving down the rabbit hole of aging a vintage Gibson, the serial number is not in the 70 range but older than the 72 ranges. Pots are dated in the late 60s. Like you, the stamped pickup covers are a dead give away, but everything else points to slightly older. Maybe it was a late-in-the-year make held for the 72 product release? Who knows? Regardless, those pups are amazing. I’d LOVE to hear your SG!
I’ve been told they appeared on some late 71 and very early 73 models, but have never seen one. The SN and non-beveled inner “horns” of my SG Standard places it right into 1972. After years of Norlin era bashing by the Gibson community, these guitars are finally getting their due and have become desirable instruments. Those pickups have commanded some crazy prices, too!

That tone definitely reminds me of my friends old 335 that I’ve mentioned before. He had a home made tube amp with an 8” alnico speaker and cab he made himself. His dad was a TV repairman (yes, there really used to be such a thing) so he was building his own tube amps and guitar pedals as a teenager. But there is no mistaking that 335 tone, or that barely able to control it vibe when even a 5 watt amp is turned way up. I remember sitting in his room and just hitting a note, bending it around and the guitar just had a life of its own, going from sustain to up one octave feedback, back to the root note and going on and on for as long as you held it. And that huge fat tone.

That was very cool. Thanks for sharing it.

That is just sick! Conjures up so many visions in my brain it makes me dizzy getting lost in the depth of the sounds.
Em, for what it's worth, our late Maine Coon would fetch twisted metal tinsel canes from the Christmas tree all day long if you let him.

Back