sunshinewelly's custom 24

sunshinewelly

there is a shop floor model of the 30th Anniversary available near me for around £500 below list price. there is also a final run version available for full price £xxxx.

wondering what the extra gets you

Last edited by a moderator:
The "final run" seemed to have some colours that are normally reserved for Artist Pack and higher. Other than that, functionally/feature-wise there is no difference...

Looking at getting a custom 24 - is the 30th anniversary edition a good one

any better models or years to consider

I sure love mine.......

The main differences will just be pickups. 30th anniversary and newer have 85/15s, older models can have 59/09s, HFS/VB combo, 57/08s etc.......
Play them or try to find some sound clips to get a feel for which might suit your style.

cheers for the advice - have now bought a new Custom 30th edition for what seems like a very good price in the UK of £xxxx. (cheaper than some second hand models i have come across)

I assume it was discounted as its a very marmite colour - violet - i however loved the colour and have always been drawn to these type of crazy colours that only Paul seems to get away with

cheers for the advice - have now bought a new Custom 30th edition for what seems like a very good price in the UK of £xxxx. (cheaper than some second hand models i have come across)

I assume it was discounted as its a very marmite colour - violet - i however loved the colour and have always been drawn to these type of crazy colours that only Paul seems to get away with

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it! Be sure to post pictures once it arrives.

Nice! I love Violet on the right top. You're right, it's a color that just screams PRS.

just picked up a new unseen core prs custom 24 30th anniversary model and was disapointed. i picked up an s2 custom 24 and thought it was great so assumed the core model would be a step up again. i sent the s2 back and picked up a very well priced new custom 24.

it arrived today and the set up was terrible. as well as having dirty strings it had not be cleaned (it was a display model)

however i am concerned over its play ability. i like low action guitars and assumed that as the s2 was very playable that this would be too.

the neck felt lovely but the action on the treble strings was very high around 5/64 (2mm) which too me is too high. also the bridge seemed wrong as the fromt was quite a way of the body with the rear touching the body. i understand that the bridge should float. this one does not. it means that a cant lower the Top E saddles any lower as they are now flush with the bridge plate and the action is still too high as the sadle is to far off the body.

the relief is also not to spec - i understand that PRS suggest 0.10 - however this has around 0.30

guitar was described as being professionally set up as well.

i am going to email the store tommorrow for an explanation

"Professionally set up" means different things to different people. If an action is so low that I cannot get my finger underneath when bending a string, then it's too low.

can anyone also confirm which is the correct allen key fpor the sadles as guitar came with 3 keys - one silver and 2 black.

Sorry to hear this! Sounds like you bought from a bad dealer.....or just got a very neglected guitar. Two of my Cores (both used) and both of my SE's (one used) came to my me unseen and they were good to gig out of the case. Seriously, a quick tuning and I was off to the races jamming.

I'd say that if you're into the guitar but not the action, spend the extra bit of money and have it done correctly. If you're not, return it and get something that you like more. I have never heard of someone buying a dog PRS (unlike other manufacturers). Bad setups yes, but not dogs.

Sounds like the fault of the dealer. If the strings were dirty, the "professional setup" must've happened quite some time ago. And any yahoo who collects money for molesting guitars can claim that he does "professional" setups, even though his work may be garbage.

Get it to a skilled luthier experienced with PRS and they'll get it playing like butter. Maybe the dealer will be cool enough to refund you the cost of a decent setup?

Back