sunshinewelly's custom 24

Correcting the relief will lower the action. All I've ever had to do with a new PRS is adjust the truss rod and the action has fallen into spec.

That said, if yours is a floor model then who knows what's been done to it. If it's as bad as you say and you don't know how to identify the correct allen wrench for the saddle screws then I'd probably look at get a pro to set it up.

I professionally molest my guitars.
Sounds like you identified the main issues. Step 1 new strings duh.
Adjust the claw screws to get the trem parallel.
Truss rod tweaks for relief, just go slow. Looking down at the guitar from the headstock turn right to arch the neck back.
You might not even need saddles adjusted between those two issues.

It sounds like whatever is wrong with this guitar can be fixed by the steps mentioned above.

following on from my disappointment thread the dealer has said i can swap for a new 2017 model if i want.

specs seem identical.

i assume they are the same apart from some visual differences

2 birds instead of one on the 12th fret.
I like one better.
And the binding and anniversary banner.
But yeah that's when the 85/15 was started so should all be visual.

The 2017 will have the Gen III tremolo bridge... 2015 had the previous design.

If the cosmetic things are not dealbreakers, and they probably shouldn't be, technically a straight swap for a current variant should be a very slight 'upgrade.' According to PRS anyway!

Took delivery of a new Custom 24 where the trem was at an angle ie front sticking up in air and rear flush with body of guitar,

sorted out the claw to get it floating - should bridge be exactly parallel or at a slight gradient to the neck etc

anyway the action on the guitar was also too high for me and the relief was out.

sorted out the relief but in order to get the Top E close to the low action i like the saddle is now flush with the bridge. it cant get any lower and i would still like a tad lower action on that string. its ok but not perfect.

the other saddles are fine with some some space to lower if necessary

If this is a new guitar (you are its first owner), why not have the dealer restore it it PRS new setup specifications under warranty? There really should not be that much difference between all the saddle heights.

If you don't trust your dealer for setups, contact PRS customer service directly and see what your remedies are.

If you have a customer service issue or concern with your PRS product, please contact customer service at [email protected], or 410-643-9970.

Even out of warranty, a real setup to factory specs will make it feel like a new guitar....

Last edited:
Send it back to where you got it from.

Buy a new Cu24 from Worldguitars in the UK

The guitar will arrive in impeccable condition with a really professional setup,completely to your specs if you should want that. Best dealer I have EVER cone across in the whole of Europe! Period!

dealer has been helpful - they have now knocked off £150 off the sale price so i am pleased with the outcome.

RoXMQ

Back