Summer concert anticipation?!?!?

I saw Johnny Lang a couple of months ago in a little theater here in VA.. Great show. I'm headed to Raleigh Saturday to Tab Benoit.. got front row seats.. I'll See Samantha Fish on Sunday in Raleigh.

Just bought tickets for Jonny Lang at the Ridgefield playhouse. 500 seat theater.

Gotta wonder how a band can cover the expenses of a tour if they play 500 seat places? After they split the take with the house, pay the costs of getting to the show, etc., how do they make any dough?

Meet and greet. I paid $20 to see John 5 at a little theater, $150 for the meet and greet.

I did not attend but I heard Generation Axe was $450 for the meet and greet( all 5 performers I believe)

Gotta wonder how a band can cover the expenses of a tour if they play 500 seat places? After they split the take with the house, pay the costs of getting to the show, etc., how do they make any dough?
Not sure, but there has to be money in it. There's a little (700-880) theater about 15 miles from me that has shows rolling through weekly. Some local talent, some mid level, and some national level. Not sure how he does it, but he's been packing in shows for the past four years, or so. Here's the upcoming shows list.

http://www.arcadalive.com/upcoming-shows/

Cyndi Lauper last Friday (great show). Before that was Gregg Allman, Robin Trower and Joe Satriani in April.

Friday is Alice Cooper. Two weeks after Experience is Whitford St. Holmes.

Chromeo on the beach in July(!) and then Echo and the Bunnymen in September along with getting roped into a day at RiotFest.

Trucks Tedeschi last week (with Amy Helm opening), Joe Bonamassa tomorrow night...then off to Experience in a few weeks. Been looking forward to this stretch for a long time.

Anyone else a fan of Josh Martin/Little Tybee? I'll be seeing them at the end of July. The dude is a monster 8-string player, but the music they make is more folk/alternative. I kind of admire him extra much for being all about the music than showing off his virtuoso prowess.

Saw Bent Knee twice over the last couple nights. No PRS content but I love them -- haven't heard anything like that for years, possibly ever -- very diverse, going from pastoral to post-rock to folky/Tori Amos plaintive singer songwriter to space/psychedelic to full on rocking out. But enough about them.

One of the bands opening for them last night, Space Columns, the lead guitarist was playing a PRS hollowbody of some sort. I went up to him afterwards. "Hollowbody II?" He shrugged, "I don't know, I'm more of an amp snob than a guitar snob. I think it's a 'McCarty'." Internally, I swore, how can he not know? Externally, I cheered him on, lauded praise, etc. He really was quite good. Math rock, great tones with the pedals and the amps (and the guitar, even if he didn't know what he had).

A local radio station here (93.3 WMMR) has their MMRBQ every year in May (this year's was last night).

Featured a bunch of bands, but I mostly went for Shinedown and Sixx: A.M.

Because they make far less than they used to. Mid level bands don't make the money people would think. Sometimes they get a % of food and liquor sales too, either all food/drink supplied or they get a buyout. Still, I've seen bands that you think would make some decent money get very little at the end of the night. It's harsh.

Just scored tix for Peter Frampton and am looking at going to Carnival of Madness also(Shinedown/Halestorm/Black Stone Cherry)

Just popped for tix to see ZZ Top and Warren Haynes in September. Looking forward to that! Also bought tix for Barbra Streisand. The wife is a HUGE fan, and getting her those tickets just got me the nod on one of Brian's WL 594's

So far this year I've seen the Generation Axe show at the Ryman, 38 Special here in Knoxville, Scorpions/Queensryche at the Grand Ol' Opry House (!), and Don Felder/38 Special/Styx in Alpharetta, GA. Next up: Whitesnake in Huber Heights, Ohio on their Greatest Hits Tour. RAWK!

Saw 38 special at Knoxville coliseum gosh I guess it was the early 80's. I think it was with The Outfield. They sound awesome live.

Back