Summer concert anticipation?!?!?

Kansas was awesome. Admittedly, I was a hits guy for them, but man, I think I missed the boat. 2 1/2 hours, felt like 90 minutes. Several tracks from the new album, which I grabbed after the show. The new singer they have hits the mark very well.

Did in fact skip both Styx and Clutch. Just couldn't quite muster the interest to go.

This week - Ace Frehley (last solo tour before another go-round with Kiss?) and most likely Rodney Carrington.

Steven Wilson in Atlanta November 17! I got two of the last 20 or so tickets before they sold out, but Center Stage theater is a great little venue - not a bad seat in the house!

I scored killer seats for The Neal Morse Band in Atlanta Feb. 4! If you're not familiar with these guys - you should be. Neal was the founder and singer for Spock's Beard, and shreds on several instruments. Of course their drummer isn't particularly well known - Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater etc.....). Their lead guitarist Eric Gillette reminds me of Petrucci and Allan Holdsworth. Plus Three of the band are excellent lead singers, and with the other two doing decent backing vox, the vocals are HUGE!
Here is a clip from their latest "The Similitude of a Dream" one of the best prog concept albums since the '70s! This one is sung by their keyboardist - Bill Hubauer, and has a bit of an ELO flavor:

Seriously. If you like prog at all and haven't checked these guys out - do yourself a favor - they are that good.

I scored killer seats for The Neal Morse Band in Atlanta Feb. 4! If you're not familiar with these guys - you should be. Neal was the founder and singer for Spock's Beard, and shreds on several instruments. Of course their drummer isn't particularly well known - Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater etc.....). Their lead guitarist Eric Gillette reminds me of Petrucci and Allan Holdsworth. Plus Three of the band are excellent lead singers, and with the other two doing decent backing vox, the vocals are HUGE!
Here is a clip from their latest "The Similitude of a Dream" one of the best prog concept albums since the '70s! This one is sung by their keyboardist - Bill Hubauer, and has a bit of an ELO flavor:

Seriously. If you like prog at all and haven't checked these guys out - do yourself a favor - they are that good.

Dig these guys. They're playing here (St. Charles, IL.) tomorrow night. Wish we didn't have plans. :( I was fortunate enough to see Neal with Transatlantic when they toured behind Whirlwind a few years ago.

I love prog, but I could never get into Spock's Beard until they really let go with Snow. I will check out NMB.

Going to see Roger Waters in Chicago in July. Will be my first time seeing anyone in in Floyd. I'd like to see Gilmour as well.

Saw Davy Knowles last night. He was supposed to be here two weeks ago but had visa issues - that was going to be my wife's last outing before her surgery, but the delay meant she missed it. Quality guy that he is, Davy asked me to pass on his best wishes to her when I told him the story. I wasn't sure I was going to get to go because of my wife's surgery (but she felt comfortable with my son here), and because my buddy just had a heart procedure Tuesday. He texted me first thing Wednesday and said, "Still going to Davy Knowles tonight?" My wife was a bit irritated with me, as I found out after the show, because she thought I texted him and asked him if he wanted to go.

It was a PRS-free night - Davy's playing a Tele for most of the set, a resonator for 2-3 songs, a Martin for 1, and a Gibson for a couple. The Tele didn't quite cut through like the Gibson did (or like his PRSi do). That was the closest I had to a complaint about the show, though. His playing was spectacular, as always. The set list was solid - couldn't think of anything I wanted to hear that he didn't play (although I wouldn't have complained if he'd played the arrangement of "Imagine" that he's played at Experience w/PRSh's band. Lots of stuff from the new album, and it was all solid. "Tear Down The Walls" did just that.

Well worth seeing if he comes around your area.

Sweet! Saturday or Sunday?
Saturday. I know of several people from up here heading down. You going? Ticket prices were stupid, but it's a bucket list show for me ever since I "missed" Floyd in '94(figuring I'd catch them next time they came around).

Saw Davy Knowles last night. He was supposed to be here two weeks ago but had visa issues - that was going to be my wife's last outing before her surgery, but the delay meant she missed it. Quality guy that he is, Davy asked me to pass on his best wishes to her when I told him the story. I wasn't sure I was going to get to go because of my wife's surgery (but she felt comfortable with my son here), and because my buddy just had a heart procedure Tuesday. He texted me first thing Wednesday and said, "Still going to Davy Knowles tonight?" My wife was a bit irritated with me, as I found out after the show, because she thought I texted him and asked him if he wanted to go.

It was a PRS-free night - Davy's playing a Tele for most of the set, a resonator for 2-3 songs, a Martin for 1, and a Gibson for a couple. The Tele didn't quite cut through like the Gibson did (or like his PRSi do). That was the closest I had to a complaint about the show, though. His playing was spectacular, as always. The set list was solid - couldn't think of anything I wanted to hear that he didn't play (although I wouldn't have complained if he'd played the arrangement of "Imagine" that he's played at Experience w/PRSh's band. Lots of stuff from the new album, and it was all solid. "Tear Down The Walls" did just that.

Well worth seeing if he comes around your area.

I have tickets for Davy at the Tin Pan in Richmond Va for Feb. 22

Saturday. I know of several people from up here heading down. You going? Ticket prices were stupid, but it's a bucket list show for me ever since I "missed" Floyd in '94(figuring I'd catch them next time they came around).

Thinking about it. The wife isn't interested, and my buddies are either out of the concert going stage, or not a fan.

Thinking about it. The wife isn't interested, and my buddies are either out of the concert going stage, or not a fan.

My buddy said he gets crap at work because he still goes to so many concerts. He told me he likes going to concerts with me because it means he's not the only one who didn't grow up.

We were talking about shows last night - we're going to see John 5 in April. When they first announced the shows, the closest was Cleveland. On a Wednesday. I thought about it, but couldn't decide if I wanted to do the drive on a work night. Then they announced the show here. I said, "The funny thing is, if that was Vintage Trouble, we'd probably go to both shows." He said, "Well, that's different." We love Vintage Trouble. My wife said she wonders if they ever wish their groupies weren't two old fat guys.

Foghat next week. John 5 in April. Marshall Tucker in June.

Good chance of Here Come The Mummies in March. Potential for Queen, Joe Bonamassa and Gary Mullen's Queen tribute.

Hamilton tomorrow, Cheap Trick in early March, UFO and Saxon at the end of March, Maiden and Ghost in June, Deep Purple and Alice Cooper in September. May try to squeeze in Roger Waters.

Foghat next week. John 5 in April. Marshall Tucker in June.

Good chance of Here Come The Mummies in March. Potential for Queen, Joe Bonamassa and Gary Mullen's Queen tribute.

Do Queen, if you can. I saw them two years ago. Lambert did a good job. More than passable.

I'd like to. They're in Cleveland, but that's never stopped me. I never got to see the original Queen or any of the subsequent incarnations, and they're one of my favorite bands. They just don't come here very often.

Back