Suhr (or other) pups in your PRS

I LOVE The definition and grit in Suhr pups. Wondering if I replaced my 59/09s with them in my Cu24 they'd sound as good as they do in an actual Suhr guitar

Of the Aldrich, no, not online although I will soon.

But, here is when I had a Mule in neck and bridge positions:

I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed something with more punch in the bridge position and the Aldrich was perfect.

The Mule is a typical PAF type pup with an A4 magnet. Very sweet and woody.

The Aldrich is a high output A5 based pup but very, very well balanced. Cleans up great. Cuts right through the mix and works well with the Mule. Still a classic sounding pup, like a PAF on steroids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that sounds really fantastic! Supposedly Aldrich are 3-5% overwound version of SSH that are a little clearer.
I LOVE the SSH+ in my Pro S4. My 57/08s are great but there's a grit to the SSH+ that makes them sound really alive

Are they the lower output ones?
There are also DSH. I need to read up.
Problem is I haven't tried many other pups other than what comes stock with guitars. Just know my Suhr sounds sweeeeeeeet.
Costs time and money to change pups and it may not always work out. Would LOVE to hear SSH/SSV or Aldrich in a PRS Cu24

I have a pair of Suhr/Aldrich in a two HB only Strat-- sometimes that setup is called a "Big Apple," even by Fender.

Are they the lower output ones?
There are also DSH. I need to read up.
Problem is I haven't tried many other pups other than what comes stock with guitars. Just know my Suhr sounds sweeeeeeeet.
Costs time and money to change pups and it may not always work out. Would LOVE to hear SSH/SSV or Aldrich in a PRS Cu24

Yes I believe the Thorns are about the lowest output ones they make. They're not particularly low output, though. Right in line with typical PAF numbers. The difference is they have great balance. No midrange honk.

The Bernie is a heck of a platform for different pickups; the clips sound really great, Mike!

Never tried Suhr Pups, but I'm in love with others (I don't know if it counts). I really like the SD P-Rails... My friend had a pair on his PS Santana II, and I love them. I plan to install a pair in my SE 245 LTD ;)

I've been wanting to try Suhr pickups. My Mira currently has a set of Jonesy Blues PAFs in it and they are proving to be one of my favorites ever.

I also had a Suhr Doug Aldrich in the bridge slot of my Bernie for a while, with a Tonerider Alnico IV Classic in the neck slot. Great sounding pickup, very thick, perhaps a bit on the dark side -- it's best in bright guitars. Eventually I took it out because I wanted something more PAF-y, which ended up being another Tonerider Alnico IV Classic.

Back