Suhr Aldrich vs. PRS Tremonti Bridge pickup

boardn10

So I was not liking the Suhr Aldrich in my Les Paul. The PRS SC250 in my PRS is such a monster, it makes my Suhr Aldrich sound wimpy.

I am replacing the Aldrich with the Tremonti. Man, PRS nailed it with the Tremonti. What a pickup.

The Aldrich can't even compare, sadly...

Anyone prefer the Aldrich? I'd be curious.

Somehow the SC250 and Tremonti even sound good clean.

I put a set of Aldrich in a KL-33, and currently have a set in my Core Mira. Love them.

Hey guys, I do like the Aldrich but all my guitars with the Tremonti or SC250, sound so much bigger. How high do you have the Aldrich set? I just raised it really high and I'll try again. Maybe the PRS just has much higher output.
Before the Aldrich, I had a Gibson 498, and used a Rio Grande BBQ that sounded big too.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I do like the Aldrich but all my guitars with the Tremonti or SC250, sound so much bigger. How high do you have the Aldrich set? I just raised it really high and I'll try again. Maybe the PRS just has much higher output.
Before the Aldrich, I had a Gibson 498, and used a Rio grande BBQ that sounded big too.
Pretty normal height. Not too close. I played Brain’s 594 single cut that he had the Aldrich set in. All it took was 10 minutes. As soon as I got home I ordered a set.

Pretty normal height. Not too close. I played Brain’s 594 single cut that he had the Aldrich set in. All it took was 10 minutes. As soon as I got home I ordered a set.

Fascinating. Been looking at some Aldrich pickups too. Never tried any Suhr stuff yet. I might give em a go.

I'll play around some more with it.
Maybe my Singlecut is just a bigger sounding guitar than my LP.
It sounds huge acoustically.
I'm trying to get that huge vibe from my LP Standard.

I do like the Aldrich in my LP but when I play with my band, my SC250 sounds bigger.
Again, it could be more the guitar itself.

Last edited:
With the three sets of Aldrich's I have, there are slight differences between them. Maybe yours is a little cooler? Maybe you just like the Tremonti / 250 better.

None of mine are raised very high.

For me, they give me the heat of a HFS but the clarity of the 5708 with none of the mud of the Tremonti. Again thats just me.

Like you said, it's a lot of how we hear it, personally.

With my SC250, I don't have any mud issues. I thought the Tremonti was essentially the 250, or a tweaked version.

I have a few LA session player friends of mine who switched half their guitars to the Tremonti. So, it works for a lot of people.

Like I said, maybe it's my SC250 is just acoustically bigger and louder than my LP or other guitars.
This SC250 is the best sounding guitar I've owned in 33 years. Crazy, how good it is.

Maybe trying to change pickups in other guitars to match this PRS, is silly.

Oh, for my LP, I also considered the WCR/Wagner Ironman.

I think the difference here is the natural output and acoustic volume of the guitars.
My SC250 is naturally huge and that comes thru when plugged into an amp.
My LP is more focused and not as loud.
I can adjust this with an Empress Buffer Plus use ngbthe input volume. Essentially I can make the LP a little louder and it still sounds great with the Aldrich.
I have been playing the SC for many months now, so my ears are used to that guitar - so others sound a little off to me.

Would love to hear how a Tremonti would sound in it or the Ironman, but not worth the almost $200.

I'm not a fan of the Aldrich pickups. I swapped them out in my Modern for a SSH+/SSV set that I really like.

Thanks!
I'm going fo a Tremonti in my LP, unless I get a good price on a WCR Ironman.

The specs show that they are very close but they sound completely different. This set is much clearer sounding and doesn't have the honky mids that the Aldrich set had.
To my ears the Aldrich bridge sounds much like a JB.

It does have a classic JB vibe or Gibson 498T vibe, with less highs.
Great for high gain, however.

I'm still gonna try the Tremonti in my Les Paul.

Back