Suhr Aldrich Pickups in Singlecuts

Calling all you folks that are using the Aldrich pickups in the SC’s … Do any of you play Bluesrock, (Allman Bros) type or Classic Rock, standard tuning or are more of you into heavier metal detuned stuff? I do use a fair amount of gain for solos in our Classic Rock band .. looking for a fatter tone but with smooth highs, big mids and tight bass.
never got along with the JB, but I have a PRS CU22 with Dragon 1’s and an LP with Dragon 2’s that I like

Ok cool, thanks.
We play from Rush to Black Sabbath to Sound Garden to Alice in Chains, etc. Rock, hard rock, grunge and metal. Plus originals.
very similar material.

Calling all you folks that are using the Aldrich pickups in the SC’s … Do any of you play Bluesrock, (Allman Bros) type or Classic Rock, standard tuning or are more of you into heavier metal detuned stuff? I do use a fair amount of gain for solos in our Classic Rock band .. looking for a fatter tone but with smooth highs, big mids and tight bass.
never got along with the JB, but I have a PRS CU22 with Dragon 1’s and an LP with Dragon 2’s that I like
i wouldn't say bluesrock, but definitely classic rock and classic metal (dio. rainbow, sabbath, maiden)

very similar material.

i wouldn't say bluesrock, but definitely classic rock and classic metal (dio. rainbow, sabbath, maiden)
Thanks man for your input.
I love the Aldrich bridge, Dragon I, SC250 and Tremonti as my favorite pickups.
I like others but I use these a lot.
I have some other PRS, WCR, Duncan, Rio, Wolfetone and Motor City I like.

The Aldrich is pretty soft under the fingers and I'm tempted to try an Tremonti.

Last edited:
I have those in several of mine - they are my favorite and can do most any style well!

Good value as well.

I should take a stab at tremo to I found at a good price. But then this SC might sound too much like my SC250.

Any comments on Alnico 8 pickups?

I would love to have a pickup that has the bite, compression and detail of my ceramic pickups with the give of my Aldrich.
I do love the Tremonti, SC250 and Dragon I. I even tried the Dragon II and didn't notice a big difference.

Side note, I had the Rio Grande BBQ and the Aldrich won out in my LP.

Anyone tried a Duncan Alternate 8?

Aside from the Tremonti, the Duncan A8 is on my radar.

Last edited:
Might have to try these. Frankly, I’m underwhelmed with my 58/15 LTs. I’m still a fan of the 59/09s though.

Stocktone pickups rock too. I was just in his shop and saw a stack awaiting shipping. One of the boxes was addressed to “Warren Haynes,” (and not his first set either). ;)

Last edited:
These pickups (both the bridge and neck) are monsters! I just replaced the JB and 59 in the McCarty SC594 and it was a big improvement in terms of clarity and cleans. To me, it sounds just like a very clear JB with a little less output, or a PAF on steroids. I saw videos beforehand on YouTube comparing the JB with the Aldrich, but clips don't really do it justice. I've also tried the \M/ Metal pickups in both the bridge/neck and while they were good, they sounded a little too modern for me. I liked the JB even though it had a ton of output, but it wasn't that good for chord clarity or downtuning since notes would blend together (aka muddy). I liked the 59 too, but the Aldrich neck is a lot better for sweep picking or legato due to its clarity. Its 9K ohms, but its not overly hot. Same with the Aldrich bridge at like 17.5K ohms.

The Aldrich covers all the 80s rock/metal territory, but can basically be used for anything. Very versatile and highly recommended.

I find the Aldrich bridge very beefy and thick, warm. Warmer than the JB with more in the low end, not bright at all. Reminds in some ways of the Rio Grande BBQ. Almost like a JB blended with a BBQ.

In my LP, I had a Rio BBQ bridge pickup that I replaced with the Suhr Aldrich and it seems fatter, thicker and hotter.
It's wound hotter than the BBQ, so it makes sense

Hey guys,

Been using the Aldrich in a few singlecut and a Les Paul. I was considering a Rio Grande BBQ for one of the guitars to mix it up. Curious if any of you have tried a BBQ? Worth replacing an Aldrich?
Thanks!

I will say that I love my PRS Singlecuts.

I was thinking I might ant another LP, but then I spend time playing my guitars and realize how much more balanced my PRS singlecut are! I don't play my LP much and sold my other Gibsons.

Back