Suggested PickUp replacements

mlehnert

Hello! New member... first post...

Very proud new owner of a 2000 Singlecut (orange, 10 top)... at this point, I think the neck pickup is original and the previous owner dropped in what I believe to be a Tremonti at the bridge. Through my current setup, the guitar is WAY to dark for my tastes with very little top end. I play either thru a Vox AC30 or a Shaw Retro-mod... point its they are both EL84 based and the PRS splits time with a 73 SG with mini-humbuckers (plenty of top end). I have been told a set of 57/08's would do the trick but wondering if there are better options to achieve a brighter tone.

thanks in advance !!

@justmund- classic rock, southern rock, red dirt country... and I am our rhythm player. THanks!

the higher outputs will generally sound darker, i would suggest you to go "vintage" and get the 57/08 or the Mira pickups, they scream SG voices. That said, there's also the new \m/ pickups which was said to be an improvement for the previous rock/metal pickups ( Tremonti, SC 250 etc) that PRS made. The HFS could also brighten up things a little bit, but it won't be of much help if what you're looking for is SG brightness.

Yeah, the 73 SG with mini humbuckers will not only be bright it will be significantly lower output than a tremonti treble pickup. If you're considering brands other than PRS you might look at DiMarzio EJ Custom pickups. I've never tried them but on paper they're very bright.

I'd consider uncovered 59/09s, the neck is brighter and the bridge is hotter when compared to 57/08s. Also the squabbins look awesome, and they're easier to find (can be bought from the PRS shop)

I have a satin singlecut that i put a 57/08 in the bridge, and a 53/10 in the neck. sounds great. a #7 is also a excellent neck pickup. personally, i had a 59/09 in the bridge first, and it was a little too bright for me. ( but i do love the set of 59/09's i have in a mccarty korina)

Yeah, the 73 SG with mini humbuckers will not only be bright it will be significantly lower output than a tremonti treble pickup. If you're considering brands other than PRS you might look at DiMarzio EJ Custom pickups. I've never tried them but on paper they're very bright.

From what I know, EJ describes it as Gretsch-sounding and even almost Strat-sounding.

Just for information here. I found out through comparing the DC resistance, that the higher the Hz (wound hotter), the darker the pickups will be. The output value actually tells you how loud or powerful is the pickup instead of how hot the pickup is. I can't imagine how slow am I on "discovering" this. I've been looking at the figures over and over but I never did notice this. :iamconfused:

On the other end of the output scale, the D Activators are one of Dimarzio's highest output pickups, but they are actually as bright as a Tele! Listen to John 5's demo and you'll know ;)

I used to have a 2000 Singlecut, and I replaced the non-stock pickups that came with it with a set of 57/08s. It sounded like a really, really good Les Paul...but with better articulation.

Back