Subconciously Slinking To a Corner Of the Stage?

watelessness

Has anyone else ever realized they just slinked away to the back corner of the stage due to shame? It happended to me at my last gig. Wasn't a performance anxiety thing, but i was gassed, playing like dog excrement, couldn't hear myself because i brought the wrong amp, etc. Realized i was standing back by my amp due to embarrassment. Wow.

Has anyone else ever realized they just slinked away to the back corner of the stage due to shame? It happended to me at my last gig. Wasn't a performance anxiety thing, but i was gassed, playing like dog excrement, couldn't hear myself because i brought the wrong amp, etc. Realized i was standing back by my amp due to embarrassment. Wow.

What’s a gig?!:oops:

Some years ago, our open-mic performed on a comparatively small stage, enough for a bass player/amp. drum kit, and a seat for the lead guitarist. The lead guitarist used to allow me to place my amp behind him and closer to the drum kit. When it was my turn to play, a separate lead player would plug into the first guitarist's amp, and I'd plug into mine.

As rhythm player, I'd back the 2nd lead guitarist, who would typically place the mic onto the dance floor, not beyond the floor monitors. Dance floor was beyond. When it was my turn to solo, I'd dime my guitar, take the lead, and then come back down after.

There were times in the beginning when my ears weren't as tuned to hear the changes, so there were the awkward moments. After about a year of consistent jamming with better players, it was far easier. Obviously trying to follow band leader's direction wasn't easy if you partied too much before your turn, so it was important for me to not overindulge and play it straight.

We enjoyed some good times, and us new guys earned some respect as players. I think I've kept a playlist of cover tunes that was standard fare each Thursday evening. The host would switch things up so as not to be too repetitive each week. Granted, I wasn't great, but learned how to play at a level I was happy with. Perhaps that was the part about being accepted by my peers that made the difference. And that was the part of feeling welcomed back each week that was the reason I enjoyed my time there.

Lol!
I've had that feeling for sure, but being the lead singer makes that impossible.
One thing to keep in mind... you are your own worst critic. Audience is a LOT more forgiving!
No worries.
Same.

I always end up as the singer by default, so I'm up front.
I try to get into the vibe, move around, engage the audience, etc.

I come off stage and think about all things I fat fingered, crap solos, places my voice let me down.

And then my wife comes up and tells me how great the set was.

Same.

I always end up as the singer by default, so I'm up front.
I try to get into the vibe, move around, engage the audience, etc.

I come off stage and think about all things I fat fingered, crap solos, places my voice let me down.

And then my wife comes up and tells me how great the set was.
I remember a bunch of years ago I blew a string half way through (maybe more) a song. I am the rhythm player and that leaves a huge hole. Anyway I was playing my 305 and that completely whacked out the trem and it sounded like crap.
I stood there like an idiot. It took me 30 seconds or so to realize I had a fully functioning spare (SE ONE) behind me... DOH! NO STRAP!:eek::p
The band was awesome and just kept on keeping on until I finally moved the strap over and got back in the game. For some idiot reason the audience loved it!:rolleyes:
Too funny. Anyway, moral of the story... screw it. Make it your own. Remember, you're on stage and they're not. It's live and stuff happens.
I have the video somewhere I think.:D

Great photos!

Remember, when you are on the stage the audience wants you to be a rock star, so most anything goes because you have "da powah!" they expect anything to happen and its all entertaining.

I have had so many people me I'm a great player...I can not believe it. I'm at a point where I think if I start believing them I'll stop being a great player, even thought I don't think I am anyway.

We are our own worst critics. Play on!

Yes great photos - nice to see someone else using Laney's!

We once played at a working men's club (a sort of social club with cheap drinks in case you people over there don't have them) and discovered we were playing the support slot to the bingo game, which was clearly the reason most people were there! Nowhere to hide when you're on the same stage as a bingo machine :(

Back