Stylin' at the Indy 500

Fun stuff - are you into auto racing in general?

Not really, Les. This race is really the only one I follow. I live less than 50 miles from Speedway, and my wife's family has had the same seats in turn one for 60+ years. I've been to the 500 at least 30 times. Yesterday's race was a good one.

Very cool Steve! Since you're into it per se, do you have a favorite driver, or someone you root for?

Glad you had a great time at the speedway! Looks like a lot of fun. It's on my bucket list (along with the Kentucky Derby):top:

Not really, Les. This race is really the only one I follow. I live less than 50 miles from Speedway, and my wife's family has had the same seats in turn one for 60+ years. I've been to the 500 at least 30 times. Yesterday's race was a good one.

That's a great tradition, seriously. The Indy 500 is sort of "America's race" as far as I'm concerned.

Back in the day I raced (not Indy cars of course, I wasn't very fast but had fun), and followed racing in general pretty closely. Studio interests gradually took over, but I do love a good race day.

I drove the Indy track as a passenger in a small tour van about 20 years ago. Very cool from that perspective. Empty stands. Stood on the brick finish line.

Nice! Where in IN do you live? I did my doctoral work in economics at IU back when Bobby Knight was still there. Bloomington was a beautiful town to live in. Good times...

Nice! Where in IN do you live? I did my doctoral work in economics at IU back when Bobby Knight was still there. Bloomington was a beautiful town to live in. Good times...

I'm an IU grad, and love Bloomington. Go Hoosiers!!! I live just east of Indy.

Last edited:
Too bad Indycar popularity is relegated to (essentially) this single race. I follow the sport and catch most every race. Part of me kinda likes the sport's obscurity in the same way that I like PRS. It's kinda the best kept secret if you will. Nascar and F1 are the Fender and Gibson of racing (although one might argue that F1 is the PRS of racing given it's elitist reputation). I digress...

Was pulling for Newgarden. But when it was clear he wouldn't wind his way to the top I was pulling for Kanaan who sadly got knocked out. In the end I'm happy Montoya won as I am not a Will Power fan in the least.

Overall it was a VERY exciting race to watch with all the lead changes and I'm glad no one got hurt (as all the crashes in practice had me nervous for these drivers).

Just wish that Indy had the same following as Nascar (which does nothing for me). I only have a few friends that I can talk Indycar with...sigh

Nothing like a day at the track...the smell of gasoline and burning rubber...:vroam:

Not true:wave: 32 years ago, there was F1 on the LV strip with the noise and fumes killing everyone walking past Caesars Palace.

Back