Stunning Used Angelus

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
I stopped by my local acoustic dealer yesterday for some strings for my new Asher lapsteel (I'm still waiting on a PRS lapsteel :)). They still have an used Custom Angelus, with Cocobolo back and sides and an Adirondack Spruce top. All woods are really stunning. It has been there for at least a couple months now. I don't make it in there very often, and was surprised to see it when I was there last...and shocked to see it still there!

They are asking $2500 for it! I just wish I could justify the money, because it's an amazing guitar. The shop carries Santa Cruz, Taylor, and Larrivee, among others. The Angelus is as good or better than anything else in the store. I can't believe it is still sitting there. The only thing I can think is that people just don't think PRS can make an acoustic of that calibre and they don't even pick it up. Tey just don't know what they are missing!

Yeah no doubt. I don't even play acoustic but for that price I'd likely start.

PRS acoustics are so good, it would be one HECK of a way to get going with them!

Something is happening with acoustic guitars in the market; my dealer tells me that acoustic guitar sales are really expanding these days (not just PRS, but in general). I think I got my first acoustic guitar in 1971, and have had a love affair with them ever since.

Interesting. I think acoustics help me focus on big picture a bit more than electrics. I tend to get a bit weedley-weedley-weedley on electric.

Strong Bad reference anyone? :biggrin:

I stopped by my local acoustic dealer yesterday for some strings for my new Asher lapsteel (I'm still waiting on a PRS lapsteel :)). They still have an used Custom Angelus, with Cocobolo back and sides and an Adirondack Spruce top.

They are asking $2500 for it! I just wish I could justify the money, because it's an amazing guitar.

So which store is it, do they have an online website, and is it listed there? I.E., will they ship it?
I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Interesting. I think acoustics help me focus on big picture a bit more than electrics. I tend to get a bit weedley-weedley-weedley on electric.

Strong Bad reference anyone? :biggrin:

It's meedley versus squiggley! Go squiggley! Go squiggley! Squiggley wins!

This is not info that was offered up to me when I called. I Google'd and found the item on my own. The person I spoke to was friendly though.

Yeah, it took a few minutes of asking lots of questions about it to get to the, "Well it has been repaired." I'd grab this thing in a heartbeat except that I'd fear the structural integrity. A crack down the back could indicate that the wood has been through a lot of stresses. Nice person on the phone though, as you said. It's also a consignment, so the store won't accept any return responsibility.

I am so sorry I put this out there without knowing about the crack and repair. I played the guitar twice and didn't notice it, and two different employees chatted very briefly with me about it, but failed to mention it. Sorry guys.

Well I bought it. It is such a beautiful instrument, plays wonderfully, sounds amazing, and the guys who fixed the crack are absolutely top notch! This was probably the only way I was going to get a guitar this nice. I've been looking for "the one" for years now that suits my playing style and ear. She was it. I've sent a number of friends to this lutherie and they have been pleased with their work. Everything else looks great.

I plan to play her for a long time. (At least until I can afford that Kevin Ryan, or Wingert ).

FYI...it has the abalone top perfling, ebony neck and saddle, and pickup upgrades. Just gorgeous!!

Well I bought it. It is such a beautiful instrument, plays wonderfully, sounds amazing, and the guys who fixed the crack are absolutely top notch! This was probably the only way I was going to get a guitar this nice. I've been looking for "the one" for years now that suits my playing style and ear. She was it. I've sent a number of friends to this lutherie and they have been pleased with their work. Everything else looks great.

I plan to play her for a long time. (At least until I can afford that Kevin Ryan, or Wingert ).

I think you made a wise choice. These guitars are so good sounding and playable that it'd be a shame to let it sit, especially at that price.

A proper repair can last for centuries. They've X-rayed 400 year old museum instruments and found repairs done 200 years ago that are still structurally sound today.

In fact, in the violin world, these kinds of repairs to million dollar instruments are not unusual.

Last edited:
The guitar that Paul has on the road show has also been repaired. It was shipped and when the case was opened, the headstock was hanging. Paul repaired it with Superglue and it still sounded great.

Back