Studio TV YouTube Channel

László

Too Many Notes
I've been doing that dangerous thing again -- thinking!

I have a studio. I love using it and working with all kinds of gear; guitar stuff, keyboard stuff, plugins, hardware, mics, and so on. The studio is something I'm pretty good at working.

My studio manager is a videographer/editor who has done lots of commercial and film work.

I have contacts with musicians and studios all over the world, some big-time, some not so big-time, but all are very good at what they do.

I also guest lecture from time to time on matters of interest to musicians, such as music production, music rights, licensing and related matters, at both the university and law school level.

So there's some expertise that's probably just sitting around waiting for an audience, one might think.

Anyway, I was thinking "What if I put all this together, and created a YouTube channel? Would anybody be interested in it? And if so, what would people like the members here be most interested in seeing?"

On the other hand, I'm no Pete Thorn when it comes to the guitar; he's a lot deeper into his instrument, I'm deeper into using the studio as a production tool, but there's some overlap. Obviously I can play a little, and obviously, a guy like Pete can work the studio pretty well, too.

So my stuff would be more of a mixed bag. On the other hand, I'd be into showing people how to work mics, set up gear, work software, and so on.

Is this worthwhile or a complete waste of time/energy?

I'd love some feedback on this.

Last edited:
That would suit me down to the ground Les.
Knowledge is the key and the software piece would really benefit the likes of a computer illiterate
like this one. Go for it les.:):):)

Go for it Les.
s you know I post a lotta YouTUbe vids here of hear demos/reviews I come across including Pete's.
I would enjoy seeing more of that with gear you come across, including the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo as there really are not that many current videos of that out there right now.

I think this is a great idea.
Of course you are going to need an Archon in the studio too ;)

Id watch it.
Don't see how it could be a waste of time either. If YOU enjoy doing it then its not a waste of YOUR time,is it?

I'd love to know what you'd all be most interested in seeing/hearing/learning about?

I'd be into this! Probably anything you could talk about, would be teaching me something. But, for someone like myself, topics I would like to know about but don't are: What are plugins? How do they work with your DAW software? How to correctly use reverbs, compressors, EQ's. How to build drum loops. Creating stereo mixes.

Plus, as they say, you don't know what you don't know... so I'm sure there's a lot for me to learn.

I'd be most interested in the licensing, music rights, and the more "lawyerly" aspects of your experience. There's a sh!t ton of YT videos about sound design and production already, but very few (concise) videos about what steps to take after you've made the music.

Another thing I'd like to see is the process from rough song sketch (say, one guitar, one vocal, basic bass and drums tracks), and turning that into actual tracks. I.e. songwriting, preproduction, arranging, layering stuff etc. I think there's too little out there about that subject. I'd love to see more angles on this. There are so many one-man-bands now with the home recording wave, and I think this would be of real benefit.

Is this worthwhile or a complete waste of time/energy?
Depends on what you want to get from it.
If you want to make some extra $$ from youtube hits(*although I really don't know how all that works), make one video and see how the response goes.
If you just want to "pay it forward" and share the wealth of your knowledge, then you just have to weigh out your priorities and how much time you have for such a project.
As for what I'd be "interestested in seeing", I've spent the past months getting up to speed on my DAW and production, so I'm good with that and the miking techniques I already know, but at the beginning it was DAUNTING.
I'm sure there are a ton of talented cats that are more luddite than I, so I think your first vid should address that. Maybe an overview of production flow with today's technology.

Good luck with it.

First of all, thanks everyone for your input on things you'd be interested in. You can bet I'll be doing some of every single thing you've suggested

Depends on what you want to get from it.
If you want to make some extra $$ from youtube hits(*although I really don't know how all that works), make one video and see how the response goes.
If you just want to "pay it forward" and share the wealth of your knowledge, then you just have to weigh out your priorities and how much time you have for such a project.

Actually, I kind of have an itch do something fun and interesting. It hasn't really gotten to be more than that thought.

And I have tons of time, I control my own schedule.

I'd be most interested in the licensing, music rights, and the more "lawyerly" aspects of your experience. There's a sh!t ton of YT videos about sound design and production already, but very few (concise) videos about what steps to take after you've made the music.

I'll definitely do a lot of this. First, people are confused about their music rights, and there are lots of urban myths that need debunking, and second, you're right, lots of folks make great music and haven't yet got the expertise to get it monetized.

Plus there's the whole subject of performance royalties, mechanical rights, synch rights, composition vs master recording, etc., that confuses a lot of people.

I'd be super-interested!
I'd love to know what you'd all be most interested in seeing/hearing/learning about?
I can see two things, primarily -- basics, for the beginners, and advanced stuff, for the guys who know how to record, know their recordings sound crappy, but don't know how to fix it. "Why does a well-produced recording always have better bass than mine? I keep cranking it up, but all I get it is louder bass, but it still doesn't sound as good as the bass on a <insert favourite pop/rock/prog/metal/djent band name here>..."

I'd be super-interested!I can see two things, primarily -- basics, for the beginners, and advanced stuff, for the guys who know how to record, know their recordings sound crappy, but don't know how to fix it. "Why does a well-produced recording always have better bass than mine? I keep cranking it up, but all I get it is louder bass, but it still doesn't sound as good as the bass on a <insert favourite pop/rock/prog/metal/djent band name here>..."

Dusty, I'm probably better at the more advanced stuff, less so at the beginner stuff because it's been a while since I was starting out. I do have a few answers on the bass question, though.

Dusty, I'm probably better at the more advanced stuff, less so at the beginner stuff because it's been a while since I was starting out. I do have a few answers on the bass question, though.
Do it! I knew you would, it's a common question, and a useful answer, and one that would benefit from a YouTube virtual hands-on style video, I would think. And I know there's several whole genres who'd be interested in just that one topic (funk, R&B, contemporary metal).

But with regard to not knowing the former -- I understand if it doesn't interest you, but even some of the things you've shared with me in private with regards to how to pick a mic, how to pick an interface, and how to pick a DAW ( and heck, just knowing the basic components of a software based setup, and whether to get a separate preamp and interface, or to get an interface with the preamp built in, based on the DAW ) I imagine would be really useful when you show how you have already gotten successful results using your setup. (And by 'successful', I don't just mean 'paying', but if you show how to get to a final mix of yours and they hear at the beginning the successful mix, and you show them how you got to the final result and how you made it sound so good, you have them as a captive audience...)

Last edited:
This would be totally cool...I'm pretty clueless on most everything that's been mentioned so far. So whatever you're willing to show us , I'm ready to watch!

Les I would subscribe in a minute ! Interested in the studio in relation to guitar recording . All kinds . Acoustic instruments as well as electric !

Back