Studio 101: Is it really this hard?? (AKA: I have no idea where to start)

Good quality monitors: JBL LSR308s: $500
Headphones: Grado: ~ $125 - $200
DAW: Logic Pro X (Mac-friendly): $199
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett (late model) or Clarett: $499
Condenser Mic: Röde N1A w/ Shockmount/Pop Filter: $229
Acoustic Small Diaphragm Condenser: Audix ADX51 or Röde NT5-S: $229 - $269
Mac (w/ Adequate Processor Speed / DRAM-16GB Minimum): $1700 (Desktop) / $1900 (Notebook)
Accessories (Cables, Surge Protector, UPS, Mic Stands): ~ $580 - $680

Total: $3865 (min, not including tax/shipping) / $4480 (max, not including tax/shipping)

Caveat is to be sure the audio interface has ¼" TRS outputs to your studio monitors.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I just completed my order. I decided to get off the ground strong, put money where it would serve well, and if I dig things then maybe upgrade down the line. After much thought, a LOT of input from the fart smuckers around here, much interwebz research, and input from friends, I ordered:
- Focusrite Clarette 4
- Aston Origin
- sE8 pair
- Studio One 4.6 Pro
- A few Gator 2020 mic stands
- A gator tripod for the camera
- Bunch of Mogami XLR cables
- SPDIF cable to get the Ox Box into interface
- Some new PRS Signature cables for getting the Ox Box into the Focusrite
And a couple of other misc items.

As you can see, I didn't go the Mac route, tho I think I may in the future. I REALLY wanted grab the Apollo Twin X Quad and Satellite, with a full set of UAD plugins, but I couldn't justify making that jump out the gate. To be fully honest the only thing that helped me hold back was that I'm still annoyed that I'd need a Mac to do it. THAT let me step back, and realize that I need to start somewhere "reasonable", and follow the new hobby in manageable pieces. Both from the wallet AND ability to learn as I grow perspectives. I figure I'll play w/these items first on my current PC, refill the Guitar Toy account, and maybe look to upgrade to that route in a year or so.

Congrats! It's a great way to spend time, and as you said, the path to upgrade is always there. It took me a long time to make the leap to a DAW on a computer. I started with a four-track TASCAM cassette recorder with an old PC to run Power Tracks Pro as a sequencer and an Alesis HR-16 drum machine. Moved on to a Roland VS-1880 with an external CD burner, still running PTP on a Windows box (I still have the last box I ran it on - a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 machine that still runs). Finally made the jump to the Mac-based system just to try to make my life easier.

22 years ago, I went to a guitar camp at Duquesne University. One of the classes was about home recording. Pretty much the first thing the guy said was, "If you love gadgets and you like to spend money, you have picked the right hobby."

Congrats! It's a great way to spend time, and as you said, the path to upgrade is always there. It took me a long time to make the leap to a DAW on a computer. I started with a four-track TASCAM cassette recorder with an old PC to run Power Tracks Pro as a sequencer and an Alesis HR-16 drum machine. Moved on to a Roland VS-1880 with an external CD burner, still running PTP on a Windows box (I still have the last box I ran it on - a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 machine that still runs). Finally made the jump to the Mac-based system just to try to make my life easier.

22 years ago, I went to a guitar camp at Duquesne University. One of the classes was about home recording. Pretty much the first thing the guy said was, "If you love gadgets and you like to spend money, you have picked the right hobby."
I still have my 4 track Tascam deck!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I just completed my order. I decided to get off the ground strong, put money where it would serve well, and if I dig things then maybe upgrade down the line. After much thought, a LOT of input from the fart smuckers around here, much interwebz research, and input from friends, I ordered:
- Focusrite Clarette 4
- Aston Origin
- sE8 pair
- Studio One 4.6 Pro
- A few Gator 2020 mic stands
- A gator tripod for the camera
- Bunch of Mogami XLR cables
- SPDIF cable to get the Ox Box into interface
- Some new PRS Signature cables for getting the Ox Box into the Focusrite
And a couple of other misc items.

As you can see, I didn't go the Mac route, tho I think I may in the future. I REALLY wanted grab the Apollo Twin X Quad and Satellite, with a full set of UAD plugins, but I couldn't justify making that jump out the gate. To be fully honest the only thing that helped me hold back was that I'm still annoyed that I'd need a Mac to do it. THAT let me step back, and realize that I need to start somewhere "reasonable", and follow the new hobby in manageable pieces. Both from the wallet AND ability to learn as I grow perspectives. I figure I'll play w/these items first on my current PC, refill the Guitar Toy account, and maybe look to upgrade to that route in a year or so.
Would an expansion card help you out?

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Alpine-Thunderbolt-Components-GC-Alpine/dp/B0722SV69N

I looked at those, and they "would", except... I want to run this off my laptop, can't add a card to that. :(

I have a gaming PC upstairs, and a HTPC in the movie room. I'm planning to use my laptop for this, which I obvs can't install an expansion card into. :(
If I'm going to look at buying a new PC for this, I'll likely bite the bullet and just get a Mac @ that point.

I’m surprised, with all the computer experts here, that nobody has recommended a windows PC with a dual boot to Linux installed. More than a few guys at TGP said that once you do that, you get by all Windows “drivers” and bloat, and that a much lower spec’d PC can run recording software like a breeze.

Too late now, but I just found this thread and kept waiting for someone to post that...

Anyway. Just a curiousity question next.... you guys run guitar cables from say the OX, or Digital device of choice (Kemper/Axe/Atomic/Line 6) to your computer interface? o_O

I’m surprised, with all the computer experts here, that nobody has recommended a windows PC with a dual boot to Linux installed. More than a few guys at TGP said that once you do that, you get by all Windows “drivers” and bloat, and that a much lower spec’d PC can run recording software like a breeze.

Too late now, but I just found this thread and kept waiting for someone to post that...

Anyway. Just a curiousity question next.... you guys run guitar cables from say the OX, or Digital device of choice (Kemper/Axe/Atomic/Line 6) to your computer interface? o_O
Cables work fine for me with the Ox, the Axe Fx III can go either regular cable or USB. Personally, for the short runs I do, coming analog to the desk to DAW works just fine.

I’ve run a cable from my Adrenalinn III to my interface (sometimes through a pre). And I frequently run an XLR from my CabClone, which isn’t digital, but I’m including it in an attempt to sound more sophisticated.

I’ve run a cable from my Adrenalinn III to my interface (sometimes through a pre). And I frequently run an XLR from my CabClone, which isn’t digital, but I’m including it in an attempt to sound more sophisticated.
I meant “guitar cable.” I’m not going to say “not all cables are the same.” He mentioned using PRS cables to connect a device to an interface.

I meant “guitar cable.” I’m not going to say “not all cables are the same.” He mentioned using PRS cables to connect a device to an interface.

Guitar cable from the Adrenalinn. Can’t say if that option is on the CabClone, but since it’s not digital, I’ll ignore it.

Back