Stripped '58 setup/neck relief questions

S2C22

I got a new, (used) Stripped '58 yesterday, and the neck was a bit too straight. I didn't check where the relief was, since I had to do a resting and some fret cleaning/polishing.

I've read that relief should be between .005 & .010 at the 8th fret. I'm now around .009, (after adding a bit of relief), and have buzz on the high E & B on open notes.

First question.. I typically capo the first fret and press down on the upper fret where it joins the body. PRS suggests fretting at the last fret.
Second, I like low action. Might I work out the buzz going a touch lower with a truss rod adjustment, and raising the action? I think the bridge is way too low. On the treble side, it's darn near all the way down. Maybe I should left the neck alone after restring and raised the action first.

Your checking methodology is correct - holding down at the first fret and the fret where the neck joins the body. This is commonly the neck area controlled by the truss rod. Frets higher (towards the bridge) than this are usually dressed a hairs width lower to create what is known as ‘fall away’. This is to avoid fretted strings clipping these frets and causing buzzes and rattles.

I am guessing your used purchase has a degree of fret wear and may well benefit from a light fret dress.

Your checking methodology is correct - holding down at the first fret and the fret where the neck joins the body. This is commonly the neck area controlled by the truss rod. Frets higher (towards the bridge) than this are usually dressed a hairs width lower to create what is known as ‘fall away’. This is to avoid fretted strings clipping these frets and causing buzzes and rattles.

I am guessing your used purchase has a degree of fret wear and may well benefit from a light fret dress.

Frets look good. They were tarnished a bit, but no divots or anything. I did a light polish.

I'll check it tonight. If I can't work it out, it may need a nut. It is 8 years old, afterall.

So a nut is ordered. I actually had to go .010 relief at the 8th fret. Seems like it could go lower, but the notes choke out at the first couple frets. My B & E still don't ring out. I'm guessing its an 8-yr old nut.

Will the PRS nut drop right in, (assuming I'll have to sand it a bit to match what's in it)??

So a nut is ordered. I actually had to go .010 relief at the 8th fret. Seems like it could go lower, but the notes choke out at the first couple frets. My B & E still don't ring out. I'm guessing its an 8-yr old nut.

Will the PRS nut drop right in, (assuming I'll have to sand it a bit to match what's in it)??
I haven't had to sand any of the Core nuts I've installed. Drops right in.

After setting the relief you need to check string height. If you set the relief but string height is too low, you will have buzzing. From PRS website: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.ph...actory_specifications_for_my_prs_guitar_setup

Once the relief has been set, measurements for string height should be as follows: (measures top of fret to bottom of string):

• Bass side string height 1st fret: 1.5/64”
  • Treble side string height 1st fret: 1/64”
  • Bass-side string height at 12th fret: 2.5/32”
  • Treble-side string height at 12th fret: 2/32"
We consider these measurements to be a "medium" action height. You can adjust to taste.

Back