Stripped 58 neck size.

Diddly

Hi guys,

I am considering a stripped 58 but not too sure on the neck profile. It's a wide fat or pattern on a stripped 58.

I just sold a swamp ash special with a wide fat neck. It was comfortable enough but ideally it wouldn't have been as wide. The depth of the neck seemed fine though. I think a pattern regular neck would suit me best. Never tried one though. I've had a wide thin and didn't like it at all.

Are wide fat/pattern necks pretty much identical size wise? I can't try before I buy so I'm a bit weary. How would you describe the stripped 58 necks? I like a bit of girth in a neck, but I have smallish hands so a huge neck is a deal breaker for me. Especially if its too wide.

Thanks in advance

The difference between a Pattern and a Wide fat is almost nothing the Pattern seems to have slightly rounder shoulders , Pattern Regular is 1/32" more narrow

The difference between a Pattern and a Wide fat is almost nothing the Pattern seems to have slightly rounder shoulders , Pattern Regular is 1/32" more narrow
Thanks for the reply. So very little difference then by the sounds of it. By any chance have you played stripped 58? Are prs necks pretty consistent from guitar to guitar? So if I was used to a wide fat on the swamp ash, it would feel very similar on the 58?

Thanks for the reply. So very little difference then by the sounds of it. By any chance have you played stripped 58? Are prs necks pretty consistent from guitar to guitar? So if I was used to a wide fat on the swamp ash, it would feel very similar on the 58?
They are hand sanded after the CNC machine, so there could be subtle differences. I’ve rolled through about 50 PRS guitars and can’t say I’ve felt a noticeable difference in the same size neck.

There is definitely a big difference between the regular/pattern regular and the wide-fat/pattern neck. I absolutely hate the wide-fat/pattern neck carve. It is the reason why eBayed my Annapolis shop Standard 24 that I purchased new in 1995 and why my MC58 is a case queen. The thickness front-to-back is only half of the story. The regular/pattern-regular has a lot less shoulder than the wide-fat/pattern. I have large hands. My hands measure 8.25" from the bottom of my palm to the tip of my middle finger and the pattern neck carve is no, just no. However, then again, I do not just have a large palm, I have long fingers. The pattern neck is okay for chording, but it sucks for fast single note work with a classical grip.

I had a Stripped 58 with the Pattern neck. I liked it very much. All of our hands present a different set of tactile senses that make certain carves work for us.

I go pretty smoothly between W-F, Pattern and Pattern Regular. I'm less comfortable with Wide Thin or Pattern Thin, but I can still play them without complaining.

I'm less comfortable with Wide Thin or Pattern Thin, but I can still play them without complaining.

What is weird about the pattern-thin is it not all that wide or thin. My #1 for a long time was a '92 Ibanez S540 with an original wizard neck. Now, the wizard profile is the definition of wide-thin. That being said, there is something about the regular/pattern-regular neck that is just right. It supports the thumb over the top edge of the fingerboard blues/blues-rock grip as well as thumb in the middle of the back of neck classical grip equally well with my hands. The regular/pattern-regular is definitely one of the most ergonomic neck carves I have ever played.

Back