strings

I think strings are fairly personal. If I want to change things up on a guitar, I usually buy 3 different sets and try each of them out to decide what I like best on that guitar.

It isn’t very expensive to come up with your own opinion.

Never try to use logic on a guitar player. It really twists my melon.

If I want to change things up on a guitar, I usually buy 3 different sets and try each of them out to decide what I like best on that guitar..

By the time I’d get around to trying the third set, the end of the universe would’ve already happened, thereby making the relevance of the exercise somewhat iffy.

Changing strings and coming down with plague are roughly equivalent in my panoply of undesirable things to do.

Yet another reason I ought to stick with playing piano.

;)

“But Les, changing strings keeps the instruments sounding good.”

“My strings are so dead, they’re zombies.”

Last edited:
I know this thread is pretty old but I just tried some nickel wrap strings today and... eh... maybe I’m just not used to the bright treble and soft bass. I got the Sono-tones; they feel good, tension is nice but that treble vs bass thing ... I don’t know man.

Typically I use Elixer Optiwebs on everything. Coated but they don’t feel like it. Bright but not as bright as NYXLs. If I need custom sets, then I use Curt Mangan (unique feel, kinda soft feeling, and cheap). I used to be all about NYXLs but had several string related issues with a couple sets in 2018 so now I stock up on Optiwebs whenever there’s a sale.

Plan was to try nickel wrap on a couple of bright guitars. So far, I ain’t digging it but it’s only Day 1...

I know this thread is pretty old but I just tried some nickel wrap strings today and... eh... maybe I’m just not used to the bright treble and soft bass. I got the Sono-tones; they feel good, tension is nice but that treble vs bass thing ... I don’t know man.

Typically I use Elixer Optiwebs on everything. Coated but they don’t feel like it. Bright but not as bright as NYXLs. If I need custom sets, then I use Curt Mangan (unique feel, kinda soft feeling, and cheap). I used to be all about NYXLs but had several string related issues with a couple sets in 2018 so now I stock up on Optiwebs whenever there’s a sale.

Plan was to try nickel wrap on a couple of bright guitars. So far, I ain’t digging it but it’s only Day 1...
I'm in the same boat. Don't care for the soft attack and dull low end with the nickel strings.

I can't get more than two shows out of a set of strings so coated is out for me.

I used to use DRs but I seemed to have more string breakage with those so now it's NYXLs all the way!

Pretty much all Elixirs now, acoustic and electric. Occasionally a different brand if I’m feeling saucy and want strings with some color - that’s why my Tremonti has some bright blue strings on it right now. And something is getting a red, white and blue set one of these days.

Big fan of the Optiwebs. That's all I use.

Back