strings

Steve Morton

I am thinking about going with SIT strings on my SE 24...any thoughts or recomendations?

I use NYXL on my Les Paul and i love them but i heard good things so i was thinking abut trying the SIT strings

SITs are alright. I prefer just regular Daddario XL hybrids 9 - 46 personally.

Just find the ones that you like and roll with them.

Curt mangan fan myself, but the SIT's are fine. They used to do a yearly blowout sale back in my music store days an I'd usually nab a box or two for repairs and such.

Used SIT's for a long time back in the day. Got a bulk box for Christmas one year, and they're solid strings from what I remember.

Moved onto D'Addario XL's for the next 10-12 years, dabbled with DR's for a bit ,tried Elixir Nanowebs about 13 years ago and haven't looked back. They're definitely different feeling than most strings due to the coating, but they last a crazy long time for me.

Tom Anderson guitars used to ship with SIT strings. They’re fine strings.

I like a pure nickel wrap string (not nickel plated steel) for vintage tone, and have been digging the Sono-Tones; they sound pretty bright for nickel wraps, have a nice feel. D’Addarios are also great strings.

Wow, I never see much love here for GHS Boomers. I've been using them for probably 30 years at least. I've tried D'Addario, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball etc., but I keep coming back to Boomers.

I was using the NYXL's but was having tuning issues (which was not caused by the strings but the bridge setup) so I tried EB Slinky's. I re-set up the bridge and fixed the knife edge balanced and have had good luck with these strings so for now I'm sticking with them. They are not long lasting strings but they are cheap so it all works out.

I used to use Elixirs on my electrics and on my Taylor but moved away from them because although they last longer with the coating, they cost so much more that its not really worth it to me. (good if you hate changing strings)

I've been using PRS strings on my Custom 24, (9.5s mainly, some 10s). But I think I've decided to try something brighter on the next set. That guitar is so fat and smooth. I'd like to get a little more bright and punchy out of it. Any suggestions?

I've been using PRS strings on my Custom 24, (9.5s mainly, some 10s). But I think I've decided to try something brighter on the next set. That guitar is so fat and smooth. I'd like to get a little more bright and punchy out of it. Any suggestions?

When I want bright I go with nickel plated steel strings (like GHS Boomers, or D’addario 110’s).

Stainless steel strings are even brighter, but less punchy, I find.

+1 on the Boomers! Or you can get very aggressive with GHS Progressives - very bright and punchy.

Wow, I never see much love here for GHS Boomers. I've been using them for probably 30 years at least. I've tried D'Addario, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball etc., but I keep coming back to Boomers.

Never lasted well for me. I do like the burnished nickel GHS, but hated the boomers no matter how often I tried them.
Hated Dean Markley too for that matter.

Back