Strings!!! Whatcha’ using?

I was using GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers (10's) on my PRS up until recently. Then I made the switch to my usual Thomastik Infeld flatwounds. Now, all of my non-slide/open tuning electrics have T-I Jazz Swing 10's.

It's mah jam.

D'Addario .010-.046s, or possibly Curt Mangan 10s. (Thicker tone without the extra string gauge thickness)
Elixir .010 Nanowebs for acoustic.

Ernie Ball 10 to 52 for years and years. I read the Billy Gibbons/BB King string story and lightened up to EB 9 to 46. Bought some PRS 9 to 42 for the SE's from the PRS store and really like them!

I do want to try the BG 7 set someday.

For years, I've been using D'addario 12-54's for my PRS in drop C.

Lately, I've tried messing around with lighter gauges such as 11-52, even one with a 10-52 set. They still work out fine for me, even if they're a bit on the slinky side at first in regards to feel.

I played SOS 9s for a long time, then switched to DR pure blues when SOS became unreliable on delivery. Sucks, cause they were amazing strings.

Started breaking strings (on all of my gits), tried a few brands and then solved the problem by going up to 10s. Been playing Daddario 10s on everything for 10 years now, except on my Santana, I like the PRS classic 10s. I know they should be the same, but the PRS strings feel better on that guitar. Daddarios are so consistent and only about 3.50 a pack when I grab the 10 packs on sale from time to time.

Decided to do some experimenting after watching the Rick Beato video. I grabbed some EB 8.5s to try, all I could find locally. Strung ap a Strat and a LP with them. Really digging the feel, but not the tone of the EBs. I have experienced this before with other brands where the wound strings sound quieter or muffled compared to the bare, and it goes away when I restring with Daddario. So gonna order some Daddario 8s and 8.5 to try since I'm digging the feel. So much easier playing bar chords in F and F#, we seem to do a lot of songs that have those chords. I have worked on lighting my strumming hand a lot over the last couple years, so hoping not to break them. Plan to get some PRS 9s for the Santana too.

10-46 Fender Bullets for the trems on my PRS and G&L. I do have a set of D'addario 9.5s I might try soon, though.

Back