Strings shipped on the SE Angelus

dholmes007

I thought I'd seen this info posted here before, but my search didn't turn up anything. I'm wondering what strings the SE Angelus ships with. It's time to replace mine, and I'd like to use the same ones. I know that they are D'Addario EXPs because the tag on the guitar said so, but no gauge is listed.

I bought a set of "Bluegrass" strings - light top, medium bottom - but I can see right away that they do not match the strings that are on there now. The wound strings that are on the guitar are fatter than the ones in this set. Note that the new set is Phosphor Bronze, and not EXP, but I dunno if that should matter for the gauge.

So - anybody got a clue what these things ship with?

I thought I'd seen this info posted here before, but my search didn't turn up anything. I'm wondering what strings the SE Angelus ships with. It's time to replace mine, and I'd like to use the same ones. I know that they are D'Addario EXPs because the tag on the guitar said so, but no gauge is listed.

I bought a set of "Bluegrass" strings - light top, medium bottom - but I can see right away that they do not match the strings that are on there now. The wound strings that are on the guitar are fatter than the ones in this set. Note that the new set is Phosphor Bronze, and not EXP, but I dunno if that should matter for the gauge.

The wound strings on a D'Addario Bluegrass set are from a medium gauge set. The g, in fact, is heavier than 'some" medium sets. I'd fall over backwards in amazement if that guitar shipped with "heavy" strings. It'd probably be the first guitar in history that shipped with heavy gauge wound strings.

Something doesn't add up here :)

According to the Guitar Player Mag review , the strings are 12-52 .Phosphor Bronze D'Addario .

I have an SE Angelus Custom .There was no string info that came with the guitar !

I guess I'm gonna buy a few sets of various gauges and match them up until I find the right gauge per string - then look for a set that contains that mix. It may make itself evident as I go through the process if I happen to buy the right set along the way. I'll post what I find when it's done.

On all of my electrics I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky Cobalts in 9 - 42.
Thinking about an SE Angelus with the electronics.
If I had my dealer put on the 9 - 42s and adjust everything, would they be to light?
Never owned an acoustic before, and the last one I played was 30+ years ago.

New to forum an proud owner of a new SE ANGELUS CUSTOM with electronics. Has anyone out there been able to find out for sure what strings these ship with? I love the originals! I checked out d'addarios web site and it shows Phosphor Bronze 12-52 as a 12 string set. Also, has anyone found a set of strings that they love on this guitar? Thanks for any help

You should be able to go to your local tech and check the gauge of them with a micrometer.

They're 12-53 D'addario EXP strings. I'm not sure if they're Phosphor Bronze or 80/20. They seem especially bright for a phosphor bronze set, but D'addario strings tend to be brighter than their competitors in general. I replaced the stock strings on my SE Angelus Standard with a set of Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings, same gauge, and it significantly improved my tone.

12-53 is the standard "Light" gauge for acoustic guitars. It's what most steel-string acoustics will be strung with at the factory. I've never even seen a set of 9-42 acoustic strings. The lightest I've seen is 10-47. I don't recommend going to 10s unless you're really serious about bending; the lighter gauge saps a lot of your tone.

Thanks all for the great info. Much appreciated. I'm going to have to try the Elixer's although I can't imagine the tone getting any better on this thing. WOW! Thanks again for the info.

They're 12-53 D'addario EXP strings. I'm not sure if they're Phosphor Bronze or 80/20. They seem especially bright for a phosphor bronze set, but D'addario strings tend to be brighter than their competitors in general. I replaced the stock strings on my SE Angelus Standard with a set of Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings, same gauge, and it significantly improved my tone.

12-53 is the standard "Light" gauge for acoustic guitars. It's what most steel-string acoustics will be strung with at the factory. I've never even seen a set of 9-42 acoustic strings. The lightest I've seen is 10-47. I don't recommend going to 10s unless you're really serious about bending; the lighter gauge saps a lot of your tone.

I'm going to agree here, I am 99% sure that they are 12-53 Phosphor Bronze D'addario EXP's (coated).
Elixir 12-53 (same gauge) are nice strings, but I personally prefer the D'addario EXP's in terms of tone and price (cheaper). I found the Elixirs to have a warmer tone (which is fine if that's what you're looking for) but the tone was also very 'synthetic' sounding, while the EXP D'addario's (coated) sound much more like uncoated strings.

On all of my electrics I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky Cobalts in 9 - 42.
Thinking about an SE Angelus with the electronics.
If I had my dealer put on the 9 - 42s and adjust everything, would they be to light?
Never owned an acoustic before, and the last one I played was 30+ years ago.
You probably wouldn't be happy with the sound. Going down to 11s would be a place to start, which is pretty light for an acoustic. I have an SE Angelus with Sono Tone 11s and love it, even for 4 hour gigs.

This thread is very much the resurrection thread, hey? 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017. Not quite dead yet!

Yeah, 9s on an electric would be very underwhelming.

I used to play 9s on my electrics, and always struggled with playing an acoustic even with 11s on it. So I think I put on 10s. But the guitar sounded so quiet, I switched back to 11s eventually, IIRC.

Then about 5 years ago I started to play mostly acoustic with 12s (my electrics were on hiatus, I suppose), got over the pain and built up hand strength, and now I need 10s on my electrics.

The Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze are the best but I prefer the Martin M130 , Custom, Silk and Steel Acoustic Guitar Strings (.0115-.047), it sounds great and it's softer on my old fingers.

Back