Strings poll

9,9.5,10,11,12 Roundwound or Flat ?

• Total voters
11s all day, have them on my 25.5” scale guitars tuned a half step down and on all my 25” PRS scale tuned to standard. I’m an aggressive and dynamic “picker” so I really like the extra tension and feeling like the guitar is fighting me just a bit.

I use 9.5s on my Custom 24 and Paul’s guitar. 10s on my 594 and Les Paul. I had 9s and 10s on Strat, Telecaster and both Silver Sky, but I like the fight of the 10s better so there might be some of each still. Collings I35 has 10s. I go with 11s on my Martin and Taylor.

I stick with the brand of strings shipped from the factory, and think I prefer PRS Signature over the standard. Having dry hands means I don’t need coated strings. Never tried flat wounds.

Would not use stainless strings on non-stainless frets as it would wear them down fast. Nickel on nickel wears some on each.

I use various gauges for various guitars and guitar types. I am enjoying some 10.5's presently as well. I typically use 11's primarily and sometimes 10's or 10.5's for everything except tele's. I have landed on 9.5 for tele's as of late.

Tried quite a few and spent some time using different brands' pure nickels but have reverted to regular D'Addario 10s. Although I recently put Elixir nanowebs on my acoustic and am surprised the coating is no longer apparent.

I've used Elixirs 10s for years on the instruments I build, and 12s my Taylors , in the ATL summers they hold up well. Since bringing the PRS's into the Family I've tried the regular and premium 9.5's and love them . I use d'addario Flatwound 11's on my Archtop jazz box.

9.5-44 DR Tite Fit on SS, Fiore , NF3 and possibly the 513 soon.
10-46 DR Tite fit on everything else

I tend to use 9-46 or 10-46 on solid body electrics in standard tuning (though I’ll go heavier when tuning down), 11-52 on semi-hollow or hollow body electrics, and 12s or 13s on acoustics depending on which sounds better on each guitar.

I've been liking the way my guitars sound with Sono-Tone's pure nickel 10s. They're not as dark as most pure nickel strings, and they last a long time. Nice, solid tone without harshness.

Last edited:
While we do this thread regularly, it might be beneficial to also mention what tuning you use, at least if it's not standard. A lot of guys using heavier strings are down tuning.

For me, 9.5s on most of them these days. Still have some 10s and 9s on, but gradually, one by one, I'm trying 9.5s on most, and so far, every guitar I've put them on, they're staying.

I tune to standard pitch. Down tuning is for woosies who can't write heavy riffs. (kidding)

If I ever tune away from standard it is a half or whole step lower at max. I also always tune all strings down the same amount. This low string being tuned lower that the others makes you a bass player and we all know what is thought about bass players... (kidding again)

Sorta

I tune to standard pitch. Down tuning is for woosies who can't write heavy riffs. (kidding)

If I ever tune away from standard it is a half or whole step lower at max. I also always tune all strings down the same amount. This low string being tuned lower that the others makes you a bass player and we all know what is thought about bass players... (kidding again)

Sorta

Back