Strings, I'm sure It has been discussed.

Ok, I just noticed that you've closed the gap and are now only 200 posts behind Les! Now I know what you're up too... we'll soon be crowning a new leader!
I'm working on it. He took the lead back when he shuttered his forum. I need everyone to post more NGD threads so I can up my count with an endless string of "Nice", "Sweet as sweet" and "awesome". :cool:

I'm working on it. He took the lead back when he shuttered his forum. I need everyone to post more NGD threads so I can up my count with an endless string of "Nice", "Sweet as sweet" and "awesome". :cool:
Copy and paste is your friend.

Long live the new champ! Go champ!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Send me some cash and I will buy some guitars, then you can comment on how great they are! Win win!! $20k should get me started, but feel free to round up to the nearest 6 figures!!!

p.s. I could post endless thread with pics of Julie Bowen, Sofia Vergara, of course Marie Osmond, and my latest TV crush Piper Perabo. Then you could come up with some new ones like "Smokin," "WOW" and "I feel tingly all over."

I use D'Addario EXL110s. I have been using them on all of my electric guitars for a very long time. I have used a few sets of the PRS strings. They sound and feel like th D'Addario strings to me.

I used Ernie Ball super slinkys, 9s, many, many years ago. I could only get like one gig out of them and the low E string would go dead. I figured it had to have something to do with my body chemistry. I have never had that issue with the D'Addario strings. The tension on the D'Addario strings is tighter. That was the main reason I switched to them and I stayed with them because they last a really long time for me.

I've used Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10-46 my entire life it seems, decades to say the least. They sound great on my current strat also. I got my McCarty back in February which came with the PRS Signature 10-46's. They sounded great. Once I played the finish off of those, I went back with some D'Addario Chrome's in 11-50's. I hated the sound, they were mellow as I like. I just felt like they lost the string clarity, things got muddied up real fast.
So, I pulled them off after about two days. And I put my Ernie Balls on, since I buy them in bulk. I didn't like those on the McCarty though. My strat is single coil and honestly. I've never owned a guitar with humbuckers, but it seems to change the string dynamics. They were responsive, but after the PRS Sigs, and the D'Addario's. The Ernie Balls were too flimsy. LOL. I went back with the PRS Sigs, and they are just wonderful again.

Any of you guys still play on the PRS strings?
I use Ernie Balls or PRS Signatures. I tried 10-46 EB Slinky M Steels last time and I really liked them so I my try them on my new McCarty 594 as well.

Regular Daddario EXL115 (11-49) in everything, any tuning. I have tried the XS line recently which I liked, I was using 11-50 balanced sets for a few months, 0.054 for drop tuning... but came back to regular 115 eventually as I always do. All other brands' strings are either short living or sounding/reacting oddly to me

Slinky slinky
For fun it's a wonderful choice
Slinky slinky
On 6 string electrical toys

I am pretty much a babe in the woods on this topic compared to most of you, but I keep coming back to slinky's (10-46). They simply feel better to me than any other strings I have tried, and usually last me at least a couple of months. If I am going to record, I will put on a new set a day or two before recording so they are fresh but broken in.

On my acoustics I generally use Martin 12's or 11's but have been nearly as happy with the Earthwood sets I have tried.

Actually, it's ok if we have 2 threads on the same topic and in the same week, as long as one of them goes off track. So...

What picks are you guys using these days?
Been an Adamas guy for a while, but picked up some Rocky Mountain Slide graphite picks on a recommendation. Virtually no difference. Which is good because there is no way to tell which is which in the guitar case. ;)

I'm using Elixir Optiwebs on my DGT (11-49) and NYXL 10-52 on my Fender scale length guitars. My sweat does not get along with strings, and the Elixirs seem to last really well.

Whatever fits in my nose!
Win:cool:

When I get a new or new to me guitar, the strings come off. Period.. I know how I like my setups and I will address them then. Rarely will I keep factory strings as I will not be using them. I just really like Elixir Opti’s!!!!! Mostly 10s for me!

Last edited:
Back