Strings for SE custom 24

Ari Echt

Hello, I'm looking to buy replacement strings for SE custom 24 35th anniversary. Would like to replace with what was on there from factory.

Any input on what strings these ship with from factory would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not entirely sure what they ship with, but the PRS Classic or Signature strings are fantastic. The Classics are the best strings I’ve tried at that price, if you’re on a budget, and if they’re not what came on your guitar, they’re close to it.

My Custom SE 24 came with PRS Classic 9-42 strings, and they are quite fine. I also used to play wit Elixir Nanoweb 9-42’s, which last longer, but I like the PRS Classics more. They are manufactured by D’Addario, and they sound a bit more incisive.

PRS Classic 9-42. Same as D'Addario EXL 120. The D'Addarios are available just about anywhere.

I've been using D'Addario NYXL strings for the past few years. They cost more, but last a lot longer and maintain a consistent tone throughout their life.

My default string for years has been D'Addario EXL, so I have a pretty well conditioned baseline sense of how they sound and respond. After putting some on PRS SE guitars, it seems to me that the PRS stock strings are a little brighter and more lively. I'm not surprised D'Addario makes PRS strings - it's a common arrangement - but are we sure they're identical to D'Ad EXLs? No difference at all?

I just got both the Classics and Signatures in various gauges, so I'll be able to test that. As the Signatures are twice the money, I'm going to assume they're not just re-packaged Classics.

There's a pair of videos with Paul and Brian Ewald (I think I got to them from the PRS site) both introducing the Signatures and talking about the Classics. My takeaway was that the Classics had been standard equipment on all PRS guitars "from the beginning" - but that Paul now likes the Signatures better, and I think he said they'd be using them on factory guitars. I didn't notice when the video was made. Does anyone know if they've transitioned to Signatures, and if so when they did it?

Back