String too close to edge

Devon Oxford

Hi... I have an '09 DGT with the treble E string too close to the edge of the fret board (1/8th, or 0.125"). The bass E string is OK (3/16, or 0.188"). It is the same for the whole length of the fret board. The end dressing of the frets brings brings it too close... it sometimes slips off using vibrato. Any suggestions? (Please be kind!)

Thanks! I had considered those options... the nut is okay, as the problem is more towards the bridge end. The saddles are tight together; I could grind a bit off of them, but I'm afraid it would be a sloppy solution . I have thought about re-positioning the vibrato (filling and re-drilling the mounting holes), but there is just so little to work with... the bridge is just too wide for the neck. I think I will be forced to re-fret and take care not to 'over dress' the treble side of the frets. I have an old Les Paul Custom with an even worse similar problem, but it is mostly due to the frets. Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't have many options.

Thanks! I had considered those options... the nut is okay, as the problem is more towards the bridge end. The saddles are tight together; I could grind a bit off of them, but I'm afraid it would be a sloppy solution . I have thought about re-positioning the vibrato (filling and re-drilling the mounting holes), but there is just so little to work with... the bridge is just too wide for the neck. I think I will be forced to re-fret and take care not to 'over dress' the treble side of the frets. I have an old Les Paul Custom with an even worse similar problem, but it is mostly due to the frets. Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't have many options.

I run into this on almost every Strat and Tele I have ever owned. :(

Yes, it is to be expected with a bolt-on neck... but at lest it's easily fixed! A set-neck guitar is a bit more problematic... :)

There was a run of early DGTs that had that issue if my memory serves me.
Contact PTC you will have to send the guitar in but they can get you sorted

Thanks, interesting to know. I'm not the original owner, though... I think he got rid of it because of this problem. :) Thanks again!

Yes, it is to be expected with a bolt-on neck... but at lest it's easily fixed! A set-neck guitar is a bit more problematic... :)

I don’t understand at all how the neck joint method has anything to do,with this issu.

I had a Les Paul Standard with this issue an eventually sold it because of this. I’ve never had this issue with any other guitar.

With a bolt-on neck, you can loosen the screws that hold the neck on, and shift the neck toward the low E string, to center the strings on the fret board, then re-tighten the screws. With a set neck, you can't move the neck.

I had a similar issue with my CE24 but the low E string was too close to the edge of the Fretboard. I was going to send it in to PTC for set up and to have them look and hopefully fix the issue. But I didn't want to part with the guitar for a few weeks so I brought to my local PRS Dealer and he did exactly as shimmilou describes above. This fixed the issue for me as the strings are now centered over the fretboard. It sounds like you might want to send yours to PTC to have the neck re-set??? Perhaps they can quote out to cost to you in advance so you can decide if you want to go that route or sell it.

The alignment on the bass side is good... if the string set were to be moved to correct the treble side, the low E would be too close to the edge. What I need is a slightly wider neck at the body... don't think that's going to happen. I can use it as is; I just have to be careful with my technique on the treble side, I guess... or do a special re-fret. (The rounding on the fret ends is greater than it needs to be.) Thanks for the suggestions!

It really surprises me that PRS (known for high quality) would let these get by. I have a '96 CU22 that is 'more than perfect'! :)

I've seen that on bolt on guitars but never on a PRS. I would contact PTC. I bet they address it. This is something original to the guitar that should not have happened.

Why not just shift the nut slightly towards the bass side? You could also have a good luthier cut you a custom bone nut with spacing that works for you.

Still good to check in with PRS for suggestions first, though.

So I was going to send mine to PTC and they were going to look at it to see what can be done. The first problem is that I bought it used so not covered by warranty. Sean quoted roughly $150 for set up with new nut to start but then who know what else would need to be done to fix it and what it would cost. (maybe a refret or maybe a new neck???) The second problem was that it might take 4-6 weeks to complete and ship back. ...so I had my local dealer unscrew the bolt on and reset the neck which mostly solved the issue for me. (I can still sometimes push the low e string off the fretboard but it's much less common so i'm happy with the guitar now.)

Devon, I would consider at least contacting PTC and see what they might be able to do.

Why not just shift the nut slightly towards the bass side? You could also have a good luthier cut you a custom bone nut with spacing that works for you.

Still good to check in with PRS for suggestions first, though.
Since the main problem is more near the body, I would have to radically move the E string groove on the nut (like 1/4")... :)
I've seen that on bolt on guitars but never on a PRS. I would contact PTC. I bet they address it. This is something original to the guitar that should not have happened.
I agree. :)

So I was going to send mine to PTC and they were going to look at it to see what can be done. The first problem is that I bought it used so not covered by warranty. Sean quoted roughly $150 for set up with new nut to start but then who know what else would need to be done to fix it and what it would cost. (maybe a refret or maybe a new neck???) The second problem was that it might take 4-6 weeks to complete and ship back. ...so I had my local dealer unscrew the bolt on and reset the neck which mostly solved the issue for me. (I can still sometimes push the low e string off the fretboard but it's much less common so i'm happy with the guitar now.)

Devon, I would consider at least contacting PTC and see what they might be able to do.
One sees this type of problem on a ';bolt-on' quite a bit... but is a super easy fix (unless the neck is just too narrow). Set-necks are a little more complex... :) I may contact PTC, but I really don't have room in my life for hassle and expense right now. I'll just use it as is, I guess. :)

Thanks! Mine is a 2009. I have a number of top end Gibson and Fender guitars in my collection that I love... but the PRS DGT is my
'go-to' guitar. It does what I want, when I want it! :)

Back