String storage in high humidity

Jay j

I had 2 sets of electric 9.5 strings that I bought 13 months ago. When I opened the envelopes, the plain strings had rust areas. I took a scotch brite pad to clean them off, but the corrosion had eaten into the strings and the 1st string broke in the middle of the neck. I tried one from the other pack and it also broke.

I am in Panamá. Everything rusts ... Even plastic ;)
Humidity, heat, sea air.
So ..... How can I store the strings? Minimum order is 3 sets if I only order strings. So they have to last a year.

Jay J

My heart goes out to you -- Hawaii, for example, is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there because cars don't last.

Companies like D'Addario and Ernie Ball sell their strings in hermetically sealed bags. If you want to reinforce those bags, I would put them in a Zip-Loc bag with those little moisture consuming pellets that come in new guitar cases that say "DO NOT EAT" on them.

Now I'll have to check my Rotosounds, because I don't know if those 10-packs that I bought come in sealed bags. EDIT: They do. So feel free to buy them in comfort.

Last edited:
Find a bit gallon Zip Loc bag and put any and all strings, and metal doo dads from your guitars that you are not using, in one of those, and make sure to squeeze the air out of the bag. I currently have sets of strings for Acoustic Guitar, Electric, Ukulele etc. in one of those, and granted the are all D'Addario and Fender and GHS uke strings, but they never rust or get wet. I live on Oahu and have for 20 yrs. and I've never had issue with strings rusting or tarnishing before use.
I've got to say, the car comment about them not lasting is very true. Most out here are very lucky to have a garage or carport, I have a carport, and I park underground all day at work. My paint looks showroom, but some 2 and 3 yr old cars out here that are exposed already have the clear coat rash...

Thanks for that. They sell DampRid here, so I put one of those containers in the gallon freezer bag with the spare strings.

Some very good practical advice above. Only other thing I can think is - move to Southern California. You will not have to worry about humidity or rain (except for today :) - just the rain part)

Back