String gauges.

Mark Maxwell

Dead Souls Waiting Room
Hello everyone,
May I ask?
Just picked up my new PRS CE with string gauge 10.
I'm used to 9's and am wondering if I will have to have my guitar set up specifically for the lower gauge?
Advice welcome.
Thank you :)

I'd say it is a definite maybe. Depends upon your tolerance for less than ideal setup. At the very least you'll likely need to adjust the vibrato springs if you want it floating. I'd suggest checking the intonation. Likely will need some tweaking. You may be able to get by without adjusting the truss rod if you aren't too finicky about that kind of thing. I recently went from 10s to 9s on my two Teles (fixed bridge) and I just adjusted the intonation and haven't noticed any neck relief issues so I haven't even checked it.

Try it! It may require a slight tweak of the truss rod, intonation, and a slight vibrato adjustment, but all are easy, if you take your time (lots of YouTube help out there).

What scale length are you used to? If 25.5, try the 10s and see if they feel that much different. If 24.xx, you might be more comfortable changing to 9s. With the 25" scale, I like the 10s, anything shorter and I go up to 11s, and anything longer depends on the feel of the specific guitar.

Congrats on the new guitar. Let's see some pics!

Thanks GADonis and Egads for the advice.
I'm used to a 25.5 scale length so I may give the 10's a fair chance before making my mind up.
One step at a time! ;-)
Pics on the way...

^ This.

I use 9s on 25.5, but 10s on 25 and under. I find 10s very comfortable on short scale lengths.

Try it! It may require a slight tweak of the truss rod, intonation, and a slight vibrato adjustment, but all are easy, if you take your time (lots of YouTube help out there).

What scale length are you used to? If 25.5, try the 10s and see if they feel that much different. If 24.xx, you might be more comfortable changing to 9s. With the 25" scale, I like the 10s, anything shorter and I go up to 11s, and anything longer depends on the feel of the specific guitar.

Congrats on the new guitar. Let's see some pics!

wondering if I will have to have my guitar set up specifically for the lower gauge?

Yes, and if you don't have a pro do it, it's a great skill to acquire, "setups" that is. Intonation, trem adjustment, truss rod if needed, all are a fairly easy skills to attain and bring you closer to your instrument.

Either way, you want your new piece to be in tip top condition and precise adjusted for peak performance.

Welcome aboard.

Yes, and if you don't have a pro do it, it's a great skill to acquire, "setups" that is. Intonation, trem adjustment, truss rod if needed, all are a fairly easy skills to attain and bring you closer to your instrument.

Either way, you want your new piece to be in tip top condition and precise adjusted for peak performance.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice.

So just a quick update. I played my second gig with the Tele strung with 9s. This time I DID notice some neck relief issues. Some of my bends were fretting out so looks like I'm going to be doing a truss rod adjustment. Also, I had to switch to another guitar about halfway through the gig because my D string was completely shot. I have a very heavy grip and with 10s I normally can get 2 gigs out of a set. 3 gigs is doable but somewhat risky. I literally wear through the wrap. Lots of bends, vibrato and a death grip is a recipe for quick string death. About halfway through the second gig I notice the D wrap was coming apart. I'm hoping going to 9s will help me develop a lighter touch. I know it's going to take some time but I am hoping it won't take too long.

I'm hoping going to 9s will help me develop a lighter touch.

I'm currently playing 8s on the the 594. Needing a light touch is an understatement - just THINK about fretting or picking a
note and it happens!

I'm currently playing 8s on the the 594. Needing a light touch is an understatement - just THINK about fretting or picking a
note and it happens!
Wow, especially with that neck and the sort of inherent heftiness of the 594, 8s must feel crazy at first. I watched a comparison of gauges this morn (youtube rabbit hole) and the consensus was 8s sound the tightest and most articulate. Especially the low end stuff. I can't say I disagree. One of the guys in the vid did a follow up and switched to a lighter gauge on his guitars. But 8s from 10s.. From 11s on the DGT. That's gonna take a soft touch.... Here's the link to the Rick Beato vid.

Ya, it's a learning experience alright! You literally just touch the strings to fret - anymore
and you'll bend 'em outa tune. Barre chords and bends can be hilarious. Ha!

Tone is definitely more articulate, especially notice it with distortion. Nice, really "sparkly" top
end.

I really like the tone, but I'm not sure yet if I'll use them indefinitely - guess with time my
hands will adjust, but in the short-term I have to focus to much on not pulling them outa tune
with either hand...

Back