String gauges

I have switched to 8s on 3 of my PRS s and I love them however i did mix in the 4,5,6 strings from a 9 set for more bottom?????
any one else try this. with my old hands I can handle the 8s really well
I have not tried that yet but sounds like an idea. I’m afraid I’ll break 8’s though

The acoustic tone from my piezo equipped solidbodies seems to suffer if I use lighter strings, so I'm not going to use 9's there. I've basically used 10-46 on everything 25" scale and under and 9-46 on 25.5" scale for more than 10 years, so I'll probably just stick with that. I only watched the first video, but it seems that more gain masks some of the difference in tone. I can hear a difference between 9's and 10's on clean tones pretty easily.

And he uses a sixpence coin for a pick. So breakage can be an issue for him.

I believe he plays very lightly. He has his guitar set high to allow for this.

This came from a roadie friend who was at a Queen sound check.

Yep, when I was chasing his tone a bit he said he didn’t like newer ones. I wasn’t sure if he was serious, but I found a small bag of old ones so I bought them! I still have a bunch. They give a different sound, for sure, and the serrated edge adds something to it. I still sucked at playing his licks, though. :)

6vVoupF.jpg

These are sixpences from early on in Queen Elizabeth II reign. These will not have the same silver content as those from Queen Victoria’s time and will be harder.

The silver ones, which is what I believe BM uses are softer.

These are sixpences from early on in Queen Elizabeth II reign. These will not have the same silver content as those from Queen Victoria’s time and will be harder.

Edit: as it won’t allow me to amend above post. By level I mean volume.

I use 9's on 2 guitars in standard tuning. 10's on 2 that are a half step down, 1 dropped tuning. and 11's on2 that are a whole step down, 1 dropped tuning. I used to use 9's on everything. For me, they all have a place.

YMMV

I strung and setup the 594 with 9-42s last night - I'm likin' the feel, so easy to play, although I also
tend to pull the bass strings out of pitch pretty easily. Lighter touch will solve that.

Clean, there's possibly a tone change going from 9-46 down to 9-42. It's actually pretty hard to tell.
Chords may be a little more defined with the bass notes ringing clearer, and maybe not as thick, but single string on E, A and D I dunno...
Same with OD, difficult to tell a difference. More of a feel thing.
I'll play them for a few days before deciding, but so far the increased playability is going to offset any small perceived trade off in tone.

I'm not sure when the changeover happened, but I have a silver sixpence from 1935 and a non-silver sixpence from 1965. There is definitely a difference in feel between the two and a slight difference in tone. I also prefer the silver sixpence. But it is on the small side and rather fiddly, I drop it often so I bought myself a titanium pick as a compromise between getting a similar tone and normal payability. It kind of works.

Clearly, this explains my inability to cop his tone! All this time I thought it was my abilities. Wow.

I did go back and look at the rig rundown where he talks about this and, sure enough, he says 1950 or earlier coins sound best due to composition. Smiling, he says “1947 was a particularly good year.” The coin, and Mr May, were both minted then!

It looks like the changeover began in 47, with the last silver one minted in 48. So, to get true MayTone from your pickcoin, go 1946 or earlier. This post so fits into the thousandth of an inch string discussion!

Last edited:
I'm not sure when the changeover happened, but I have a silver sixpence from 1935 and a non-silver sixpence from 1965. There is definitely a difference in feel between the two and a slight difference in tone. I also prefer the silver sixpence. But it is on the small side and rather fiddly, I drop it often so I bought myself a titanium pick as a compromise between getting a similar tone and normal payability. It kind of works.
I have no idea when silver stopped being used there. In Canada 1967 was the last year we used silver in coins.

Clearly, this explains my inability to cop his tone! All this time I thought it was my abilities. Wow.

I did go back and look at the rig rundown where he talks about this and, sure enough, he says 1950 or earlier coins sound best due to composition. Smiling, he says “1947 was a particularly good year.” The coin, and Mr May, were both minted then!

It looks like the changeover began in 47, with the last silver one minted in 48. So, to get true MayTone from your pickcoin, go 1946 or earlier. This post so fits into the thousandth of an inch string discussion!
USA 90% silver coins last year was 1964. I’ll check United Kingdom, I happen to have a book on their coins because i go on metal detecting holidays in farm fields of England. I play guitar and I’m a geek LOL

USA 90% silver coins last year was 1964. I’ll check United Kingdom, I happen to have a book on their coins because i go on metal detecting holidays in farm fields of England. I play guitar and I’m a geek LOL
Love it. And me too. Proof? Already ordered some 20s-30s versions. And yes, I am going to compare!

There are some 8-46 string sets available which have the G, B & e strings from an 8 set and the E, A & D strings from a 10 set. Best of both worlds and you don’t need 2 sets of strings for a restring.
yes i did get a set like that at my local music store i like them

It's about scale length for me. 10s on 24.5 to 25. 9s on 25.5.

So, I put 9s on my Silver Sky and liked it better.

Same! 24.75-25, I use 10's with 52 in the 6th because I am always on drop D. I use 9's on 25.5 with 46 on the 6th for the same reason. On the 28" baritone 6 string, I use 12-62 tuned to drop A.

Last edited:
Back