String Gauge - What do you use?

I had been using 9s for the last six years or so. When i got my cu24 last summer i had problems right away. I would break A strings in about 31/2

3 1/2 hours. Filed A,E,and D saddles but would still break strings too soon.

Switched to 10s and strings last a little longer but i realized how much tone i was missing with 9s. So I'm up all 10sthe now

I've changed a lot over the years, but I prefer 10s in standard tuning on 24.5 guitars. I can go to 11s if I'm in E-flat. For 25 inch scale I prefer 9.5s. or 9s on 25.5s in standard tuning.

I used Elixir 9's and moved to Cleartone soon after for tone and longevity purposes on my SE Custom 22. When I got my USA Custom 24 it came with PRS 10's and I loved the feel.
I still get Cleartone now, but I switched to 10's and never looked back :)

Flatwound .13-.52 on the archtop (main guitar), flatwound .12-.50 on semi-hollows, and roundwound .12-.52 on solid bodies. All Thomastik Jazz series. Won't play anything under a twelve - can't stand it. I love the thicker sound. Plus it feels like I'll break 'em instantly.

What was it SRV played? .16 on the high E? Or was it .18?

Before my piezo system crapped out on me, I had used the D'Addario Chromes, which were my introduction to flatwound strings. I loved them!

Pyramid Pure Nickel Classics in .11's. Tried them on my LP and fell in love. The feel is amazing and I love the full tone

Before my piezo system crapped out on me, I had used the D'Addario Chromes, which were my introduction to flatwound strings. I loved them!

A friend of mine had them on his Ibanez Artcore and let me have a go on it. I was online an hour later ordering a set. The Chromes are great, but I'll be string snob and say that I think Thomastik-Infeld's strings are just the best. I'm just getting around to replacing a set on my archtop that I play every day that have been on there since January. They still feel like butter.

I also like that the Thomastiks are versatile. Too many flatwounds are very dark. They're not super bright, but you can make them sound how you want them to sound.

Elixir Nanowebs, for the most part. 9s on my Strat, 10s on most everything else, 11s on the DGT and PRS 9.5s on the CU24.

On my PRS tuned to standard, I go with the D'Addario (or PRS, whichever I have on-hand) .010-.046 set, with the exception of my DGT which still gets the DGT .011's as that guitar sounds PERFECT with that string gauge so I feel the need to mess with perfection. :wink: On the ones detuned to Drop-C I'll usually go with the .011-.052 set. On my Hollowbody guitars I use the DGT .011's as I prefer the plain G to the wound G. Find the piezo still sounds great but I prefer the feel of the plain G. :)

Although I stray now and again, I use Elixir's on most everything including the acoustic. I did just put D'Addario EXP 120's on the PRS. They sound good. I wonder if they will last as long as the Elixir's?

9s go on the Mo' Lester and 335, 10s on the One and 11s on the DGT. The FrankenStrat has 11s on it too right now. Certain guitars seem right with certain strings but I don't have any problem switching between the different gauges. The DGT gets the lion's share of gig time right now, too. Cobalts are also on everything but the DGT, until I run out of normal EB Slinky 11s.

I think I use a bit of everything. My default for electric is 10s and bluegrass 12s on acoustic.
I currently have 9s, 9.5s, 10s, 11s (with wound and unwound Gs) and 12s on electrics - I blame having so many guitars on the strings choices.

Just had a look. Of my PRSs 20% are 9s..... 20% are 11s.... 60% are 10s.

Overall I seem to be 50/50 with 10s and 9s on my guitars. Generally it seems I have lighter on terms than hardtails. The DGTs are a notable exception.

I find a particular gauge suits a particular guitar, as opposed to me having a preference...... But maybe I am too lazy to change 'em!!!

Always Ernie Ball. But it's 10-46. I played 9-42 for years and hated how thin my tone was so I tried 10s and 11s and decided 10s were a happy medium since I do play leads. If I was strictly rhythm I'd go to 11-48 in a heartbeat.

D'Addario 11s with the low E and A off a 12 set. Will take all the **** you can throw at it and is hench as ****.
CAUTION : This is not for pussies!
BB

Back