String Gauge - Let's Talk!

For bass, Elixers 45-105. They last a long time.

For guitar it's Ernie's 10-46. But I might switch to 9's on one of my guitars to try and help with my vibrato which in my opinion is pretty lame. It's gotten a bit better lately but it's another of the many things I struggle with due to my aging hands.

For bass, Elixers 45-105. They last a long time.

For guitar it's Ernie's 10-46. But I might switch to 9's on one of my guitars to try and help with my vibrato which in my opinion is pretty lame. It's gotten a bit better lately but it's another of the many things I struggle with due to my aging hands.
Try 9.5s

I used to use DRs but I experienced premature string breakage so I've been NYXL user for some time.

I have dipped my toe in the nickel strings pool. On the fence for now.

Used to be a 10s kinda guy but switched to 9s on all of my guitars.

I had been working on a recorded cover of All Right Now and switched to 9s to help me get that cool vibrato Kossoff does.

9s didn't help with the vibrato but I ended up liking them and since I don't play live much anymore I don't need the safety of bigger strings.

Angus Young and Paul Kossoff both have the ability to bend up to a note but still get this cool vibrato that just lasts forever.

It kind of frustrated me to not nail that vibrato so I've decided to stay kind of close to original solos but add some of my own flavor.

I do really like the tones I've got down so far. This project has been on the back burner for quite a while. I still had my 89 cu24 and used it for all of the tracks so it's been two years. I need to finish it.

Always used 009’s with an .013 G string… lots of bending and vibrato goin on
Currently loving the GHS Thin Core Boomers on my 25” scale PRS’s
I did the original equipment 9s that came on the SE until the upgrades. I didn’t think I’d like the 10s, but they sound much better and feel steadier under my fingers. Didn’t notice much difference in bending.

Hmmm. Might be the way to go! Thanks!
I know. I’m no authority or anything…. I value feel, touch, and playability over everything. Tone can always be adjusted. Anyway, 9’s feel great but can be too slinky. 10s feel great but can be stiff on the bend, depending on the guitar. I DO NOT like fighting the strings. 9.5s really feel great and bend better without the immediate overshoots that come when switching from 10s to 9s.

I switched from all 10’s to all 9’s no matter the scale length of the guitar. Ironically, I think I prefer the 10’s on the Strat which is contrary to mainstream thinking of lighter gauge on longer scale length.Yet 9’s work/feel/sound great on the Tele.

I know. I’m no authority or anything…. I value feel, touch, and playability over everything. Tone can always be adjusted. Anyway, 9’s feel great but can be too slinky. 10s feel great but can be stiff on the bend, depending on the guitar. I DO NOT like fighting the strings. 9.5s really feel great and bend better without the immediate overshoots that come when switching from 10s to 9s.
You say tone can be adjusted but what about all the people who say tone is in the fingers...? ;)

I switched from all 10’s to all 9’s no matter the scale length of the guitar. Ironically, I think I prefer the 10’s on the Strat which is contrary to mainstream thinking of lighter gauge on longer scale length.Yet 9’s work/feel/sound great on the Tele.
Mainstream thinking is typically wrong... ;)

You say tone can be adjusted but what about all the people who say tone is in the fingers...? ;)
There is some truth to that. Back in '94 through '96 I was playing bass in a weekend cover band. Our rhythm guitar player had a Les Paul and a Marshall half stack. Wonderful, sweet man who'd do anything for anybody. His family life wasn't the best and playing guitar was the one source that brought him some joy in life.

Problem was, he wasn't the best player and his tone never sounded "quite there." One night a friend of his who played guitar came up and played a few songs with us. Without changing any settings the tone was there and it was an incredible tone at that. I guess what I'm saying is that one's skill level has a huge impact on tone.

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (10-46) in regular tuning for me. I've used those 99.5% of the time I've been playing guitar. When I first started I just grabbed whatever I could find. Fender, EB, D'Addario, etc. Usually anything from 8's to 11's. After becoming more comfortable with guitar I settled on 10-46 gauge. I played in a band several years ago that tuned down a half step and I switched to 11-48's for the Les Paul I was playing. That didn't last long. It just felt weird. Not sure if it was the strings or the tuning. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it, but I guess I felt I didn't have the time or energy to allow myself to. Occasionally during that time I would grab some D'Addario's, but I always switched back to EB's. Oh, I did have a Gretch 6120 with the traditional "bar" as a bridge and I used 11-49's with a wound G on that, but otherwise it's been 10-46 on traditional electrics.

There is some truth to that. Back in '94 through '96 I was playing bass in a weekend cover band. Our rhythm guitar player had a Les Paul and a Marshall half stack. Wonderful, sweet man who'd do anything for anybody. His family life wasn't the best and playing guitar was the one source that brought him some joy in life.

Problem was, he wasn't the best player and his tone never sounded "quite there." One night a friend of his who played guitar came up and played a few songs with us. Without changing any settings the tone was there and it was an incredible tone at that. I guess what I'm saying is that one's skill level has a huge impact on tone.
Agree 100%. I am just giving DTR a hard time.

Oh, I know but that's what we do around here and it's all good!

Speaking of skill level and tone, I got a laugh from this. In an interview with Ritchie Blackmore he said "parents will tell me their son wants to learn guitar. Should I get him a Strat and a Marshall amp?" Blackmore said "best of luck with that! If you buy a beginner a Strat and a Marshall that is not going to be a happy household!"

LOL. I don't! A properly fretted note is a properly fretted note. End of story. Now, how hard you pick, the angle of your pick, the shape and material of your pick, where you pick on the string... those all affect tone, but that is stretching it to call that "fingers"... that's the pick, and picking.

Phrasing, style, etc., etc., is in the fingers (and brain) but tone is not. Any average player can get the tone of any other player by doing those things above the same as the other guy. The issue with this debate is the "sounds like" thing. The old "if Ted Nugent picks up Eddie Van Halens guitar, he sounds just like Ted Nugent, not like Eddie" thing, is people confusing "tone" with style. Ted still plays like Ted and thus SOUNDS like Ted. But the rigs tone is all Eddies. And people trying to tie these two things together as one thing, which is is NOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. I don't! A properly fretted note is a properly fretted note. End of story. Now, how hard you pick, the angle of your pick, the shape and material of your pick, where you pick on the string... those all affect tone, but that is stretching it to call that "fingers"... that's the pick, and picking.

Phrasing, style, etc., etc., is in the fingers (and brain) but tone is not. Any average player can get the tone of any other player by doing those things above the same as the other guy. The issue with this debate is the "sounds like" thing. The old "if Ted Nugent picks up Eddie Van Halens guitar, he sounds just like Ted Nugent, not like Eddie thing" is people confusing "tone" with style. Ted still plays like Ted and thus SOUNDS like Ted. But the rigs tone is all Eddies. And people trying to tie these two things together as one thing, which is is NOT!
While I understand where you are trying to go with what you said I can assure you that if you plugged into anybody's rig (Eddies, Mine, Vai's, Hetfields) You are not going to sound the same. Tone is the summary of all parts and the player. Style is style. Remove any equation from the "tone" list and things change....especially the player.

While I understand where you are trying to go with what you said I can assure you that if you plugged into anybody's rig (Eddies, Mine, Vai's, Hetfields) You are not going to sound the same. Tone is the summary of all parts and the player. Style is style. Remove any equation from the "tone" list and things change....especially the player.
See, I "almost" completely disagree with this. The true test that proves I am right would be to play Eddies Rig and just hit one power chord. Then play one note. Then play a very slow, simple scale. That is going to sound dead on Eddies rig. The "sounds like" vs. "sounds like" creeps in as soon as anyone starts really playing, because then their style becomes identifiable vs. the other guys and THAT is why people say "he sounds like (whomever) no matter whose rig he plays." And again, when I say "almost" above, it's because all the picking stuff DOES matter in tone, but that can be duplicated. So I say that if you hand me Eddies guitar and I play an E barre chord, it's going to sound just like Eddie. And the same would be true for anyone else who uses the same pick, pick angle, picking force, strums the strings in the same place along the string. I don't know how anyone can think that the TONE is affected by your left hand fingers vs. mine though. (Unless one of us is not properly fretting a note).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back