String Gauge - Let's Talk!

2) On my Teles I use the lightest gauge I use. They are 9-46 Hybrid set. On Everything else I use the 10-48 or 11-50.

3) I have been with DR for a very long time. I have since tried some other strings and like the Ernie Ball 10-48 and 9-46. Their Hetfield set (11-50) is nice as well but I haven't tried them extensively. I am also testing out the 10.5-48 set as well.

4) I am usually in standard tuning. If I drop to a lower tuning it is balanced across all strings and I only go a half step or whole step at the most.
I'm surprised you use light gauge strings on Tele. They are bright guitars and the back pickup can be ice picky. For that reason I use 10's and the thicker blue turtle picks. Both help in adding some meat to the Tele sound and reduce the ice pick

I use 10's on all my guitars with DR strings. Ernie Ball and DAddario are fine but I think DR quality is a little better

10-46 D'Addario on everything except the EBMM Y2D.

The Y2D gets 10-13-16-26-32-42 because it's "different".

Reactions: CVS
I'm surprised you use light gauge strings on Tele. They are bright guitars and the back pickup can be ice picky. For that reason I use 10's and the thicker blue turtle picks. Both help in adding some meat to the Tele sound and reduce the ice pick

I use 10's on all my guitars with DR strings. Ernie Ball and DAddario are fine but I think DR quality is a little better
For some reason I like the way that gauge feels on a Tele. Naturally my hands are on the darker side of things and I tend to need more mids and high end than the average person by a tad and I typically gravitate towards darker tones as a whole so it barely works for me. :p

The other thing may be I lucked out on the Tele's I have and they have pickups that aid me a bit. One is a Suhr with a neck hum bucker and the other is an old 60's Fender that is the traditional pickup configuration.

D'Addario NYXL's, 10 - 46.

They hold tuning like a beast for me on any of the models, especially from getting whammy'd into oblivion. Tuning varies from guitar to guitar from standard to drop D, but drop C (10‐52) on Holcomb.

I can't handle 6 strings, let alone 7 or 8. :)
Silly guitar players! You don't have to play them all. Two note barre chords are all you need! :D

Ok, serious note: One by one, I've moved all my PRS guitars to the standard PRS strings 9.5s. They feel and bend the best. I'll probably do the same with my EBMM guitars, but with EB strings. And, eventually, I want to try the new ones from both.

I settled on 46/36/26/14/11/8 a while ago. My first teacher suggested it a long time ago. At first I did because I wanted to be like him but I tried other string gauges and I really like the thicker low mixed with the super bendy high. Gilmour bends? All day long and no torn up fingers.

I settled on 46/36/26/14/11/8 a while ago. My first teacher suggested it a long time ago. At first I did because I wanted to be like him but I tried other string gauges and I really like the thicker low mixed with the super bendy high. Gilmour bends? All day long and no torn up fingers.
I was kind of heading in that direction with my Hybrids on the Tele's. It does have a nice feel doesn't it? :)

Nice! I hear good things about those strings yet have not tied them. What made you switch gauges?
A million years ago I was a 9 - 42 guy. When I got into PRS I decided to go with what they shipped with, usually 10 - 46.
A couple of years ago I switched back to 9 - 42 for the easier playability and I think I'll stick with it.

A million years ago I was a 9 - 42 guy. When I got into PRS I decided to go with what they shipped with, usually 10 - 46.
A couple of years ago I switched back to 9 - 42 for the easier playability and I think I'll stick with it.
Makes sense. I have found it interesting how lighter strings in many cases sound better on recordings. The attack, response, whatever other adjective I was thinking I would be getting with heavier strings I am actually getting with lighter strings.

DC 594: E-Standard = Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10 - 46)
SC 594: D-Standard = Ernie Ball Burly Slinky (11 - 52)
Tremonti: Drop C = Ernie Ball Burly Slinky (11 - 52)

When I first started playing guitar in the 90's, I was enamored with GHS Boomers and Blue Steel strings. I do not recall what made me try the Regular Slinky's, but I never went back after giving them a shot. Even when I was playing an Ibanez Universe 7-string, I used the the Regular Slinky (10-56).

Back