String Experimenting and random thoughts.......Am I in the minority playing .11's on a PRS?

I play .010s, but also like pure nickel strings. They’re not all as dark as the D’Addarios. I’ve been using Sono-Tone pure nickels on my McCarty Singlecut and CU24. They’re noticeably brighter, and have a nice feel.

No string is for everyone, of course, but these seem to be work well with the guitars I’ve put them on. I like D’Addario strings a lot, so I’m not ragging on their product. It’s just fun to experiment.

Currently 8-38s on my two PRS:eek: I used 9-42s for a very long time on everything and have those on my Les Paul and Strat at the moment. Tried 10-46s on one PRS a while back - they lasted about 30 minutes before I took them off. I think the 8-38s are a reaction to that.

The bigger thing, by far, is determining if pure nickel or nickel/steel is the best fit. I see guys changing pickups, string sizes, when IMO it’s the easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to influence tone.

For me personally the easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to influence tone is the choice of pick.

Back