String Construction "Pure Nickel"

Pure nickel means the wound strings are steel cores wrapped with pure nickel wrap. Strings with the label "nickel" are simply wrapped with nickel plated steel wraps. Nickel plated steel sounds a little different from pure nickel. Pure nickel is also softer and causes less fret wear, but because plated steel is more magnetic, its output is noticeably hotter.

The plain strings are steel in either case, but they can be plated, too.

i was told by customer service that PRS strings are pure nickel, but comparing them to the pure nickel D'Addarios I use from time to time, I think the person who gave me that info may have been wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah I called PRS and was told they are nickel coated.
So is it fair to say the unwound strings from a given manufacturer are the same on their "nickel coated" and "pure nickel" strings?

For the most part, yes. Incidentally, "coated" usually refers to strings that are dipped or painted with an anti-oxidation or similar coating like Elixirs or D'Addario EXPs in addition to nickel plating. The PRS and other so-called nickel strings are "plated," meaning, electroplated. But they're not coated.

Thank you for starting an interesting thread Sky65! By the way, your guitar looks amazing! What is it exactly? A Korina Singlecut, but which model? It even has.... a pickguard!!

I use Picato strings, I will have to look to see if they are pure nickel or just nickel... I like the tone, and also use them to reduce fret wear.

Last edited:
Guitar is a SC Korina SE. I bought it used with Dragon 1 pups installed. I installed individual coil tap switches, located between the tone and volume knobs, and made the pickguard from a
PRS SE accessory pickguard. Just did a little reshaping. Also changed the knobs from black to gold, switch from black to ivory and tuner buttons from chrome to ivory, you can't see in the pic. Now if I was only proficient in playing it!

I think the pickguard looks really smart! Is the top of your guitar flat, or are the sides bevelled? I'm just wondering if the pickguard is screwed flat against the body, or lifted at the body's edge like a Les Paul. I'm really interested because I'm considering designing a pickguard for my SE Singlecut, very close to the shape you have. Did you try an ivory pickguard? it might work by tying in with the birds, gold knobs and ivory switch and tuner buttons...?

Are the tuners the standard SE ones? If so, which ivory buttons did you use? I like the original tuners on these guitars, but I also wanted to change the buttons to ivory. I did this on my core singlecut by using the ivory buttons from PRS, they were made for the phase 2 locking tuners which that guitar has, so I knew they would fit; they really suit the guitar.

I think if you love playing your guitar, proficiency comes with time
icon_e_smile.gif

Last edited:
I think the pickguard looks really smart! Is the top of your guitar flat, or are the sides bevelled? I'm just wondering if the pickguard is screwed flat against the body, or lifted at the body's edge like a Les Paul. I'm really interested because I'm considering designing a pickguard for my SE Singlecut, very close to the shape you have.

fe3xax.jpg

Sky - you put a lot of work into that Korina -

You need to give us some pics of your mods!
OK. Thanks I'll get a few pics and put them inj the SE Mods thread.

fe3xax.jpg

OK. Thanks I'll get a few pics and put them inj the SE Mods thread.

Well I wouldn't have thought of heating to pickguard to bend it... it does look brilliant, as though it came with the guitar! I also now see how it works with the ivory parts.... the guard is 3 ply, with white in the middle..... that makes ALL the difference! Which pickguard did you buy? I looked on the PRS site and could only find them for the Starla and Mira.

We have drifted a bit from strings... but I look forward to more pictures in the Mods thread. Thank you!

Back